Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyWideners
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision

Thread: lee alignment pin moving

lee alignment pin moving

I have a .430-200 lee mold that I have used for about six months now and have always had good results with it until this weekend. I noticed the front alignment pin was recessed a little far in the block causing some completely unusable projectiles, I was able to puse the pin back in but it pushed right back within 10-12 casts. Not shure what caused this I use lube often and clean it every couple of sessions, but my question is, is there a way to fix it permanently short of drilling a set screw ito the side of it. Maybee an epoxy of some kind, not shure if there is an epoxy that can handle that kind of heat...

Boolit Man
    You'll have to send it back to LEE. After much research I've found that there are problems with their new mold blocks/design .

Pooch, where can we read about the problems?
    I am ONLY responsible for what I Say!
    I am NOT responsible for what You THINK I Said!
    ====
    If numbers killed I'd hunt with a Calculator!

Boolit Man
    There are several that have posted right here at boolits concerning sticking alignment pins & pins falling out and mold halves falling off. Also over at CBA.

According to latest article written in Handloader magazine...do not slam Lee mould shut...close mould gently. Lube alignment pins and sprue plate hinge with small amount of alox (do not get alox in cavity).

Boolit Man
    I have been a LEE fan since about 1975. Long time. Their molds can be finicky
    At times. They were more than reasonably priced so I put up with
    the quirks. But after my recent experience with the new mold blocks
    I've had enough of fixing/repairing/putting up with what should have
    been right in the first place. The new mold blocks are giving people fits
    with pins falling out, alignment pins shifting & sticking. Although I
    Am a person on a budget, until LEE makes some serious changes,
    I'll have to "bite the bullet" & buy custom molds only.

Boolit Buddy
    How many have heat cycled their new molds at least 3 times before using? I was told failure to do so will cause problems like you are taking about.

Super Moderator

I had the same exact problem with one of their new style .457 round ball molds. I sent it back to Midway and opted for a Lyman one. The price is right for the Lee, I just wish they would get the bugs worked out before putting them on the market. Yeah...I know that may be a stretch.

I have several of the old style Lee molds and 3 of the new molds . All 3 of the new molds drop MOA accurate bullets and have given me no problems so far . I did clean , smooth the blocks and cutter , as well as lubed the correct points with anti seize . I do not over heat my molds on a hot plate nor do I use a hot plate . And I never run my pot overly hot as well . Good luck with the competition . Because I have had more problems with them than Lee as far as over or undersized . As well as weight problems and releasing the bullets . Not to mention the problems with pivot screws that will not stay tight . And the competition cost at least twice as much . Take a look at all the complaints about the competition on this forum before you turn your back on a business that makes a affordable product . Marvin

Boolit Grand Master

detox, the article in Handloader showed the old style Lee 2 cavity.
    I have had the pins move also. I pushed the pin back as far as it would go then used a punch I made to create some burrs inside the pin hole. A nail could be shaped to do this. Then I used permanent strength loctite on the hole, then pushed the pin back in where it belongs and created some burrs behind it to prevent it from moving. Lwt it set overnight so the loctite cures.
    If you decide to do this it may void the warranty so you could speak with Andy Lee at 262-673-3075. The mold has a 2 year warranty.

I haven't bought a Lee mold for a couple years now, because the last two I bought just flat out sucked. I've never understood why they couldn't just make mold blocks the traditional way with normal alignment pins. I've been casting for over 40 years and most of my other older Lee molds work OK, but I won't waste my money on their molds anymore.
    Never in history has there been a situation so bad that the government couldn't make it worse.
    A foolish faith in authority is the enemy of the truth.

I have 5 other lee molds 4 older ones and one other new style. Im pretty gentle on them as they are aluminum. I have no problems out of any other mold just this one, I only spent 20 bucks so I m not terribly heartbroke over it but if I can fix it myself so be it, itll save me from buying another one....Im guessing a drill and set screw is in order I dont see any reasont the alignment pin needs to back out

Leadman the locktite may just work I may try that first..

I had that happen before. No big deal at all.
    Like Leadman said, I just pushed the pin back in and tapped a small bur behind it so it couldnt back out again.
    A small punch or nail, one tap and its as good as new. You dont need any locktight.

Probably end up Jinxing myself but the only problem I've had is, sprue plate won't stay reasonably tight on the block (one mold). It backs off as I cast. I think the wave washer is not working the way it should??
    45 ACP because shooting more than once is just silly!!

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

Boolit Man

Being on a very limited budget, I started out with several Lee molds. For the price they are very good, but not as tough or as durable as the lyman molds. Lately, I've bought mostly lyman molds.

If you are careful or not casting a lot the Lee molds do a great job. It is easier to damage them or get them out of alignment I've noticed.

I guess you do get what you pay for...

At the same time... I WOULD recommend them for new casters. It's hard to cry too much over wrecking a $19.99 mold you bought to see "if I really can make these cast bullets work", compared to a $70 or more costly mold by another brand.

Boolit Master

Yeah, the LEE 6 cavity moulds suck. I've only got about 80,000 bullets through my 44-40 and 45 Colt moulds and they are getting loose. I even had to peen the pins in place so that they wouldn't move on me. I mean, it took me a couple of minutes to do this so they would cast a few thousand more, what gives? Can't they make a mould for 40 bucks that works perfect forever?

Quote Originally Posted by Gliden07 View Post
    Probably end up Jinxing myself but the only problem I've had is, sprue plate won't stay reasonably tight on the block (one mold). It backs off as I cast. I think the wave washer is not working the way it should??
    A loose sprue plate works best when using a bottom pour pot. This vents mould better for sharp base boolits, BUT a loose sprue plate screw that keeps backing out is i pain. Is there a good fix for this? My aluminum NEI mould has a threaded brass stud scewed in tight to the aluminum block with two nuts on top locked together to prevent backing out.

The Lee moulds are not user friendly like the RCBS moulds are. So why would anyone want to recommend a Lee mould to a newby? You will have to coach him.

Boolit Buddy
    I too have this problem. New 440g .500 mold is the first that I have of the new design. Needless to say, I am not a big fan of the redesign. Perhaps a new chapter in "Leementing" is in order....

Boolit Man
    This issue with the new LEE mold blocks seems to be one that is becoming chronic. Sure, their molds are very reasonably priced & the machining of the mold cavities is spot on. But what good is all that if pins fall out, alignment pins move & mold halves fall off?
    I, for one would be more than glad to pay a few more dollars for a mold if LEE would do a better job with Quality control and/or engineering.
    It seems apparent that LEE is perfectly comfortable with allowing us, the consumer, to rectify shortcomings in their product. When a manufacturer tells the consumers that said product will do said job for said price then I expect the product to do exactly that. I see no disclaimers by LEE Precision that says that the end user is responsible for repairs/alterations yet, as I said, it seems apparent that LEE is perfectly comfortable with allowing the consumer to be responsible for their shortcomings. I have been a dedicated LEE fan for well on 40 years but as of late I have lost interest in their products. Someone at LEE has become complacent & resting on their laurels & I find that sad. It's not that I'm not a LEE fan. I own many of their products and have always been satisfied but . . . It's time to re-evaluate.

One good reason to point newbies to Lee, prefer 2 holer for this... $20-25 to get the learning curve going....IMHO
    Slow Elk 45/70

Praise the Lord & Pass the Ammo