Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWidenersSnyders Jerky
Load Data Repackbox
Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Malcolm Ballistic Tool (MBT) long range rifle

Love Life
    Lamar- As low drag as possible!!! I'll be sticking to jacketed in this one. 107 gr SMK for target, 87 gr VMax for shorter range target and crushing ground squirrels, and 68 gr FBHP for making itty bitty holes in paper out to 300 yds or so.

Artful- I've heard great things about the new Berger 105 gr hybrid, but have yet to find any in stock to play with. As it stands now I have enough bullets to work myself to a setback by early next year.

Sure will be fun!!

Boolit Grand Master

Well! It was an interesting night! There were three fellers that showed up and decided to stay and watch me breath life into the rifle.
    I was too busy focusing on what I was doing to take detailed pictures.
    The barrel was cut to 26 1/4". Then set up, lined up, and crowned. I didn't stop tweeking on those adjustments until there was no discernible movement in the indicators. I cut the crown while three grown men held their breath. Once the cuts were made, I inserted the range rod again and double checked that nothing had moved, and it hadn't, so I slipped it out of the lathe, and took it over to the barrel vice. I torqued the barrel to the action gently, and checked the bolt. It was golden.
    I removed the bolt, and spent the next hour reaming out the last few thousandths till the bolt just closed on the headspace gauge. The bolt dropped at 10:15PM and a new rifle was born.
    Here she is, the Fat Lady:
    Attachment 84609

Attachment 84610

Attachment 84611
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Boolit Master

I can't get the pics to open up.
    "In GOD We Trust"

Boolit Grand Master
    Damn Tim, you tease us with commentary like that and post photos that won't open? There should be a law about this.

Boolit Grand Master

You still can't see 'em? I loaded them right off of photobucket like the others. Weird.

Attachment 84613

Attachment 84614

Attachment 84615

There they are again. Somebody tell me if you can see them!

Boolit Master

Might see them better if it wasn't so purty and shiny...

Looks good!
    "When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat." - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Grand Master
    Tim, thank you. I was losing sleep, couldn't eat, and was about to kick the cat.

Nice looking rifle there. I think he is gonna like it.

Love Life
    Oh man. I better start working the dumbells!!

She looks fantastic, and with all that weight recoil should be a non-issue.

Just beautiful.

I know the stock has a barrel channel you can drive an 80's model buick through, but how is the clearance between stock and barrel? Is it still free floating with pressure on the bipod?
    Last edited by Love Life; 10-18-2013 at 03:08 PM.

Banned

That will reach out real good. Interested to see how the 105 VLDs work. You will rightly be proud of that beauty.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    Oh man. I better start working the dumbells!!

She looks fantastic, and with all that weight recoil should be a non-issue.

Just beautiful.

I know the stock has a barrel channel you can drive an 80's model buick through, but how is the clearance between stock and bipod? Is it still free floating with pressure on the bipod?
    Well, I think it has plenty of room left in the front end of the barrel channel.
    It get's real close in the rear, but I will definitely be checking it out. I finished sticking it in the stock at midnight last night, so I checked the float with a slip of paper, took some pictures, posted them, then took a 4 1/2 hour nap before I got up and went to work at the day job, so I really didn't have time to check it to the enth degree.
    I'll hit it again tonight.

Love Life
    I love it and thank you for putting your heart and sweat into it. A bolt knob, some bedding, a better bipod mounting solution, and make it look like a tumble weed threw up on it!! It's going to be great.

It'll be kind of odd in Georgia though. People will give me weird looks at the range wondering why I'm sitting behind a tumble weed...

ETA- Who is left handed in your area?

Banned

hey Tim, you might wanna make up a bunch more of those sling stud/bi-pod holder thingy's you made a limited run of.

give me a few day's notice before you attempt the first "tactical entry" into the house with your long range rifle [err long range precision tactical sniper set-up] I wanna see how it goes through doorways and down the hall.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    I love it and thank you for putting your heart and sweat into it. A bolt knob, some bedding, a better bipod mounting solution, and make it look like a tumble weed threw up on it!! It's going to be great.

It'll be kind of odd in Georgia though. People will give me weird looks at the range wondering why I'm sitting behind a tumble weed...

ETA- Who is left handed in your area?
    Dick, would you like me to have my brother paint I for this area since you know that's where you are going to land?

Love Life
    Quote Originally Posted by goodsteel View Post
    Dick, would you like me to have my brother paint I for this area since you know that's where you are going to land?
    Nope. Stick with the tumble weed paint scheme. I'll wrap some mcnetts around it for Georgia, or I'll take the paint off with citric strip and hit it with some Krylon to match the Georgia area. I've still got a whole winter of desert hunting in front of me.

ETA- Actually I wouldn't need to strip it. I'm sure it will blend in fine since I used to slaughter deer while dressed like an orange hi-lighter.
    Last edited by Love Life; 10-18-2013 at 08:45 PM.

Love Life
    Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    hey Tim, you might wanna make up a bunch more of those sling stud/bi-pod holder thingy's you made a limited run of.

give me a few day's notice before you attempt the first "tactical entry" into the house with your long range rifle [err long range precision tactical sniper set-up] I wanna see how it goes through doorways and down the hall.
    I agree with the sling studs. A much better solution than the threaded in sling studs. Much better.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post

Already in progress.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by sgt.mike View Post
    Tim can I breathe now???
    LOL! Wasn't so much talking about you as I was Jason. I think he was holding back tears as I ran the saw through that Kreiger. LOL!

Boolit Buddy
    LL, Tim did you right!! The crown on that barrel Awesome!! I can't wait to see how it groups??
    LL, I have a question : I believe that you posted 2 bullets that you are going to use. I should of went back to the beginning of this topic and found the thread instead of my babbling on! I really think that you are going to love those longer projectiles, and it should group the 87gr pretty tight!!
    I do wonder on the 68gr pills, with the fast twist is, if you can get them to fly strait for the first 50 feet, you will have it made!! Twenty years shooting the same 243 rifle, and it didn't take but a couple trips to the range, and I had my bullet, all my powder data, plus case length, bullet seating depth, ect.
    Please don't take anything I have stated the wrong way!
    I would love to have someone to shoot and also to shoot the breeze with!
    Keep us up to date?
    G

Love Life
    I guess I could use this rifle for tactical entry, and you'd be able to see it from Idaho since it is so long.

Unfortunately this rifle does not qualify for LRP.

It is not FDE
    There is no rail on my scope rings to mount a red dot
    There is no bipod rail
    There is no rail to mount night vision
    It is not threaded for a 20 ft long suppressor
    It is not compatable with MOLLE systems
    There is no stock pack with the following inside: Data book, wind meter, mil-dot master, spare ammo, chapstick, a snack, spare socks, reading material, etc.
    There is no buttspike for that 3rd point of contact
    there is no 10 rd magazine hanging from it...yet.

Love Life
    Quote Originally Posted by gcollins View Post
    LL, Tim did you right!! The crown on that barrel Awesome!! I can't wait to see how it groups??
    LL, I have a question : I believe that you posted 2 bullets that you are going to use. I should of went back to the beginning of this topic and found the thread instead of my babbling on! I really think that you are going to love those longer projectiles, and it should group the 87gr pretty tight!!
    I do wonder on the 68gr pills, with the fast twist is, if you can get them to fly strait for the first 50 feet, you will have it made!! Twenty years shooting the same 243 rifle, and it didn't take but a couple trips to the range, and I had my bullet, all my powder data, plus case length, bullet seating depth, ect.
    Please don't take anything I have stated the wrong way!
    I would love to have someone to shoot and also to shoot the breeze with!
    Keep us up to date?
    G
    I too am interested to see how the 68 gr bullets shoot. They are close to 70 gr...

I should be safe with them, and they should fly well. I hope. They were cheap enough to experiment with and if the gun hates them I'll sell them. I think my biggest concern is shredding them if I send them screaming from that 1 in 7.5 barrel.

I've got 107 gr SMK, the 68 GR FBHP, and 87 GR V-maxes which are long enough that they should be fine. I also have 105 gr SST's to play with. Whatever the gun doesn't like will go for sale.

I don't expect to have to do much load developement. I'll zero at 100 yds, and do load developement at 200 and 300 yds. I might even shoot a ladder test (gasp)!

I have so many different bullets just to play with. I could 107 SMK for everything, but that VMAX screaming down range will cause quite the hydraulic disruption...