Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2
Load DataInline FabricationRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything Lee Precision
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Powder Coat Piglet style VS Klass Kote

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by prickett View Post
    Just to clarify... Does 2:1 mean 1 pt Paint, 1 pt Hardener, 1 pt thinner? (1 pt paint + 1 pt hardener = 2 pts : 1 pt thinner)
    2 paint 1 hardener .5cc hbn.
    No thinner!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Skip62 View Post
    Curious, how long did you wait before sizing?
    I usually put 3 coats on and I wait between 4 - 24 hours between coats. I don't size for a couple of days after the last coat. I stay quite far ahead in my casting so it doesn't matter to me to wait.

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk 2
    Usually at least a day or two if not more. I'm usually too pressed for time to do everything back to back.

Quote Originally Posted by Maximumbob54 View Post
    Usually at least a day or two if not more. I'm usually too pressed for time to do everything back to back.
    Interesting that it doesn't work without baking.

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by evil5826 View Post
    2 paint 1 hardener .5cc hbn.
    No thinner!
    The Klass Kote web site says 1:1 ratio of paint to hardener. The 2:1 ratio (and hbn) came from the Youtube video that used a different type of epoxy paint. I'm surprised there is enough hardener in a 2:1 ratio for Klass Kote. I guess I'll have to try both to see which works best.

Banned

I want to try 1:1:1 hardener/paint/thinner and three thin coats and the VHT.

Boolit Buddy

The Klass Kote web site says 1:1 ratio of paint to hardener. The 2:1 ratio (and hbn) came from the Youtube video that used a different type of epoxy paint. I'm surprised there is enough hardener in a 2:1 ratio for Klass Kote. I guess I'll have to try both to see which works best.
    Yep but i decided to go with the video mixture instead of what the site said. Im liking 2:1 better then 1:1 so far. I still need to shoot 1:1. VHT is the next batch ill make.

Yep but i decided to go with the video mixture instead of what the site said. Im liking 2:1 better then 1:1 so far. I still need to shoot 1:1. VHT is the next batch ill make.
    Dr.Evil, just to be clear, you like the 2:1 better due to ease of application and/or smoothness of finish? It sounds like you haven't yet tried the 1:1 to see if either one is more durable than the other?

Sorry for all the questions, but just trying to get my ducks in a row before my paint shows up, so I can hit the ground running!

Boolit Buddy

Dr.Evil, just to be clear, you like the 2:1 better due to ease of application and/or smoothness of finish? It sounds like you haven't yet tried the 1:1 to see if either one is more durable than the other?

Sorry for all the questions, but just trying to get my ducks in a row before my paint shows up, so I can hit the ground running!
    2:1 with hbn sized fine and looked good. Also it shot well. I find both 2:1 and 1:1 to both be messy since its wet paint. I have not shot 1:1 yet but it looks thinner. However with the 1:1 i used wax paper instead of it just being on hardware cloth. With the 2:1 i used just hardware cloth that a made into a basket. I tried wax paper on 1:1 cause i heard they don't stick to it when initial drying. Since they rolled around on the wax paper, some of the paint may of come off and which is why it looks like it got a thinner coating. Im thinking a basket made of hardware cloth screwed on top of a vibrating media tumbler will keep them from sticking together and wax paper wont' be needed. I need to test this out when i get my vibrating tumbler back.

Any no worries about asking all the questions. Thats what this place is for. I have learned allot from every here by asking questions.
    Last edited by evil5826; 08-31-2013 at 09:10 AM.

Boolit Master

Shot some more KK 1:1 boolits this morning:

These were 158gr pushed by 11.5gr of Accurate #9 for a nice mild magnum. Some nice full bore 2400 loads will be next. I suspect the results will be the same.

Shot some more KK 1:1 boolits this morning:

These were 158gr pushed by 11.5gr of Accurate #9 for a nice mild magnum. Some nice full bore 2400 loads will be next. I suspect the results will be the same.
    Did the debris in the barrel come free with a simple pass of a patch? Was that just burnt carbon?

Have you tried 2:1 KK?

Boolit Master

Did the debris in the barrel come free with a simple pass of a patch?
    Yes.

Was that just burnt carbon?
    I guess. Whatever it was, Hoppes cleaned it.

Have you tried 2:1 KK?
    I didn't notice any improvement. All thinner did was make messy even more messy so I quite using that too.

I didn't notice any improvement. All thinner did was make messy even more messy so I quite using that too.
    Just an FYI, the thinner is intended for spraying KK. The amount, up to 1:1:1, is dependent on ambient temp, and humidity. The hotter it is, the more thinner, cuz it's evaporates off quickly when it's warm out. For our purposes, it may not be necessary, I think it would depend on technique.

Yes.

I guess. Whatever it was, Hoppes cleaned it.

When I said 2:1 I meant 2 parts paint to 1 part hardener. Evil mentioned he prefers 2:1. Was wondering what your experience was.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Skip62 View Post
    Just an FYI, the thinner is intended for spraying KK. The amount, up to 1:1:1, is dependent on ambient temp, and humidity. The hotter it is, the more thinner, cuz it's evaporates off quickly when it's warm out. For our purposes, it may not be necessary, I think it would depend on technique.
    Ah, I didn't realize that was for spraying. I assumed it was to be able to achieve the thinnest working coat possible so you don't goop it on too thick each time. Either way, I stopped thinning.

When I said 2:1 I meant 2 parts paint to 1 part hardener. Evil mentioned he prefers 2:1. Was wondering what your experience was.
    I did mean two parts paint to one part catalyst. I think I've tried all the combos I can think of and 1:1 paint to catalyst works for me just fine. I have some 1:1 coated Lee 175gr sized at .323" loaded up with 32.5gr of IMR 3031 for testing if I can get a rain free day at the range.

Obligatory pic:

Boolit Master

I'm not having much luck with anything rifle. Handgun yes, rifle no.

Boolit Master

I think unless someone else proves you can get coated rifle boolits to be accurate without gas checks then I'm going to call a halt to burning up components for now... I was going to load up some of the same with gas checks on them but that's the largest reason I wanted to do this. I can make at worst a fist sized group with that rifle and lubed and checked lead but NONE of my coated has worked so far.

Boolit Buddy

I think unless someone else proves you can get coated rifle boolits to be accurate without gas checks then I'm going to call a halt to burning up components for now... I was going to load up some of the same with gas checks on them but that's the largest reason I wanted to do this. I can make at worst a fist sized group with that rifle and lubed and checked lead but NONE of my coated has worked so far.
    I would prefer to have checks on my coated lead cast rifle. I think its just smarter and safer. Have you tried any with them on?

Boolit Master

I would prefer to have checks on my coated lead cast rifle. I think its just smarter and safer. Have you tried any with them on?
    How is it "safer" with them on? I'm getting zero leading in the bore but I'm getting a foot wide pattern at twenty five yards. No I haven't tried any gas chekced as I wanted to avoid checks.

Tried Klass Kote for two batches. Both appear to be failures - and I haven't even shot them yet. Batch 1 used 1 : 1 : 1 paint/hardener/lacquer thinner. Applied 3 coats, cooking each 200F for 20 minutes. Batch 2 used 1 : 1 paint/hardener with no thinner. Applied 2 coats, cooking each 200F for 20 minutes. Sized both batches and quite a few sized down to the lead.

So far, I'm not feeling the love for KK. The paint is very thick and messy compared to PC or HT (as well as the first of the three treatments to size down to the lead).

BTW, I applied immediately after mixing. The instructions say "For the best possible results, be sure to allow the two mixed components to induct for 30-40 minutes after mixing but before thinning and application.". Do you guys wait 30-40 minutes after mixing to apply? I'd bet my paint was dry 30 minutes after mixing. Am I misreading/misunderstanding the instructions?

MaxBob54 I get 1" @ 50 in 308, PC & GC. I tried plinker loads in 30-30, using the 308 Cb, 165 GC design with and W/O checks, using H-T green. Accuracy was the same, ~2" @ 50. Very close to RD PB accuracy with the same load and normal lube. Going to do some PC testing , same Cb, same load, double the antimony. If that is good, I'll cast some RD311 GC and try them, W & W/O GC. Best I can tell with any coating, the alloy must be up to the task.
    Whatever!

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast