Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Wideners
RepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Reloading Everything Lee Precision
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Powder Coat Piglet style VS Klass Kote

Boolit Master
    Prickett ... If I reuse my containers too many times I do get chunks of previously hardened KK. I'm using plain paper cups so its not a big deal to toss them after 2 or 3 uses. I use 2 cups and dump the bullets and KK back and forth till evenly coated then dump them out onto 1/4 inch hardware cloth. Works well for me and can do a lot of bullets pretty quick as I measure the KK and catalyst into 3 or 4 cups at a time then do the bullets. I am going to try to find larger cups at the dollar store. These are just plain paper cups with no coating. Plastic might work as well as the paper.

Nighthunter

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by prickett View Post
    So what is the prognosis with KK and getting chips from previous tumblings? One person posted that they were getting chips from the dried paint on their tumbling container when they tumble subsequent batches. Are others experiencing that too? What type of containers do you guys use (either successfully or unsuccessfully)?
    I am using the square Ziplock throw-a-way containers. I tumble them spread them on the wire and clean the container with lacquer thinner.
    NRA Life Member
    OGC Member
    USPSA Member

When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty.
    Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master
    I want to mention this. I'm sizing my KK coated bullets in my old lyman 450 with a couple modifications. I remove the plunger from the sizing die and also remove the lower stop adjustment rod and screw and use the sizer as a push through sizer. I made a flat bottomed top punch with a 1 1/4 inch long nose and it pushes the bullets nose first through the die. I figured what the heck as I'm not applying lube and the parts can be reassembled to the sizer if I choose to size and lube in the traditional manner. I sized 450 bullets in 20 minutes doing it this way so I know it works. I put a cardboard box under the sizer to catch the bullets as they drop out the bottom.

Nighthunter

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by nighthunter View Post
    I want to mention this. I'm sizing my KK coated bullets in my old lyman 450 with a couple modifications. I remove the plunger from the sizing die and also remove the lower stop adjustment rod and screw and use the sizer as a push through sizer. I made a flat bottomed top punch with a 1 1/4 inch long nose and it pushes the bullets nose first through the die. I figured what the heck as I'm not applying lube and the parts can be reassembled to the sizer if I choose to size and lube in the traditional manner. I sized 450 bullets in 20 minutes doing it this way so I know it works. I put a cardboard box under the sizer to catch the bullets as they drop out the bottom.

Nighthunter
    Now that is a pretty slick idea turning your Lyman 450 into a nose first sizer!!!

I have a press mounted upside down with a Lee sizing die in it. I'm just dropping them into the die with a cardboard box below to catch them.

Nighthunter
    Great idea! How about some pics?

Prickett ... If I reuse my containers too many times I do get chunks of previously hardened KK. I'm using plain paper cups so its not a big deal to toss them after 2 or 3 uses. I use 2 cups and dump the bullets and KK back and forth till evenly coated then dump them out onto 1/4 inch hardware cloth. Works well for me and can do a lot of bullets pretty quick as I measure the KK and catalyst into 3 or 4 cups at a time then do the bullets. I am going to try to find larger cups at the dollar store. These are just plain paper cups with no coating. Plastic might work as well as the paper.

Nighthunter
    How many boolits can you do at a time? A cup wouldn't seem like it'd hold too many.

Boolit Master
    I've started using the 16 ounce plastic cups and they work pretty well. The epoxy does soften up the plastic after a while but the bullets are drying on the hardware cloth by then. A 16 ounce cup holds quite a few bullets depending on caliber.
    I edited the photo links in post #119 for anyone that cares to see some of my recovered bullets.
    I tried the black spray paint from auto zone that Azshooter wrote about. It didn't work for me. Sized down to lead. I think I'll stay with the KK. Some folks are thinking the spray stuff is cheaper but with the amount of paint and the amount of coatings applied I don't see it as cheaper. The extra coating and the extra cooking and time involved aren't worth it to me even if I could get it to work.

Nighthunter

As I ate lunch reading about what type of cup to use I glanced down at my sandwich and might have found the perfect one time tumbling container...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CAM00157.jpg 
Views:	230 
Size:	31.1 KB 
ID:	80392

Boolit Buddy
    I just love this site!! I started playing with epoxy (resin/hardener) as a coating a little less than a year ago and adding my own pigment and MOS2 as lube. It works great! Of course Using epoxy (paint) didn't dawn on me until wiederlader released his video...which took care of the pigment issues lol. But, I've been pushing 240gr in 44 mag and 158gr in 357 Mag a little over 1300 fps exhibiting no barre leading. I, too, use the klass kote paint and 1 part lacquer thinner. I use PTFE as lube. I haven't had the problem with paint chunks from the container though. Hmmm

I had flakes when i first started doing this, I started to wipe out the KK with acetone, just enough to get the loose stuff as soon as I was done coating. Now I've got a layer in the bucket that just doesn't come off, and problems since. I'm using the Home Depot 2 1/2 quart paint mixing buckets.

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk 2

Banned

Now you need to try the VHT. Cheapest and simplest method to date.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jmortimer View Post
    Now you need to try the VHT. Cheapest and simplest method to date.
    What's the VHT???

Boolit Buddy

I assume this http://www.vhtpaint.com/ he still needs to provide more info though. From what I have been reading in other posts it chips very easily when placing bullet in case.
    Last edited by evil5826; 08-29-2013 at 03:56 AM.

Boolit Buddy

Just found this in regards to VHT. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...find-out/page2
    Gonna try tomorrow or sometime this week.

I'm giving KK a try and have Orange paint on the way (figured it'd be easiest to see if paint left in barrel). I've seen people using 2:1 and 1:1 for paint to hardener. I've also seen people thinning and not thinning. What are the recipes that work for you?

Also, what bake times and temp are you using?

Boolit Buddy

Same bake times and temp per Weiderlander's video. My first batch was 2:1 and it coated perfectly. Second batch I did 1:1 and it just didn't look the same but still worked... but haven't shot them yet so i am not sure about the leading on the 1:1.
    Last edited by evil5826; 08-31-2013 at 12:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by prickett View Post
    I'm giving KK a try and have Orange paint on the way (figured it'd be easiest to see if paint left in barrel). I've seen people using 2:1 and 1:1 for paint to hardener. I've also seen people thinning and not thinning. What are the recipes that work for you?

Also, what bake times and temp are you using?
    I don't bake mine, KK's msds sheet says if you want to speed the cure time you can heat to 120°. I'm usually far enough ahead I don't need to bother. If I am in a hurry, I've used a heat gun to warm them.

Quote Originally Posted by evil5826 View Post
    Same bake times and temp per Weiderlander's video. My first batch was 2:1 and it coated perfectly. Second batch I did 1:1 and it just didn't look the same but still worked.
    Just to clarify... Does 2:1 mean 1 pt Paint, 1 pt Hardener, 1 pt thinner? (1 pt paint + 1 pt hardener = 2 pts : 1 pt thinner)

Boolit Master

KK doesn't work for me at all if I don't bake it. They didn't even survive sizing without baking. That was with a 2:1 and a 1:1 testing. I just find 1:1 to be less messy and works just as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Maximumbob54 View Post
    KK doesn't work for me at all if I don't bake it. They didn't even survive sizing without baking. That was with a 2:1 and a 1:1 testing. I just find 1:1 to be less messy and works just as well.
    Curious, how long did you wait before sizing?
    I usually put 3 coats on and I wait between 4 - 24 hours between coats. I don't size for a couple of days after the last coat. I stay quite far ahead in my casting so it doesn't matter to me to wait.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast