Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Inline Fabrication Repackbox
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Powder Coat Piglet style VS Klass Kote

Quote Originally Posted by why.kyle View Post
    How important do you all feel the HBN is to the KK coating? Im confused on what its suppose to do if its mixed in the the epoxy.
    Doesn't do anything according to my chrono

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by Skip62; 08-10-2013 at 05:33 PM.

Ok, I have been doing the powder coat, cuz I thought it was easier. I don't have any idea what the difference is, except the temp outside, but I decided to give it another try, and I was able to coat 500 boolits in about 15 minutes and they won't need a second coat and they look GREAT! ! ! I always thought they shot cleaner than the powder coat. Guess I'm switching back.

How many coats are you guys applying?

Banned

As recommended above, this video is really good
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiFxAPtx4c0
    I'm going with two coats of Klass Kote 1:1:1 just like the video

Boolit Master

With the HF I'm only doing one coat but the PBTP I'm doing two and sometimes three. With the KK I'm doing two coats.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by jmortimer View Post
    Video states 2 paint, 1 hardner, 2.5 cc hbn. not 1:1:1. Thinner if needed depending on area but not a must.

Quote Originally Posted by jmortimer View Post
    Yeah, I saw that video the day he posted it and 2 days later was doing it. I tried the powder coat just to see if it might be easier, and at the time, I thought it was easier. I only tried it again today because I was having oven issues, and couldn't get the powder coat to cure 100%. Glad I did though. I found my mistake that coated them in 1 coat, I measured incorrectly. Worked though. I'm happy, happy, happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Maximumbob54 View Post
    With the HF I'm only doing one coat but the PBTP I'm doing two and sometimes three. With the KK I'm doing two coats.
    Ok, that was always my past experience. Just not today.

Quote Originally Posted by evil5826 View Post
    Video states 2 paint, 1 hardner, 2.5 cc hbn. not 1:1:1. Thinner if needed depending on area but not a must.
    Video isn't using Klass Kote. And there isn't any reason to bother with hBN, in my opinion.

Banned

Video 1 catalyst 1 thinner 1 "Paint." As to the HBN I don't disagree. Yes he has Euro epoxy paint and we have Klass Kote or whatever. Otherwise, what he is doing makes sense.

Boolit Buddy
    I am doing two coats with the KK 2 parts paint, 1 part hardner and no HBN. I have had nothing but good results with this in all of my 9mm's and .45 acp barrels except for my Rock Island Armory factory barrel and that was due to barrel with lots of machining marks left in it.
    NRA Life Member
    OGC Member
    USPSA Member

When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty.
    Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master
    Would powdered mica be a suitable replacement for the hbn? Mica is sold as a dry lubricant and is very very fine in size. I have a bunch of it because I dust my lubed bullets with it to keep them from sticking together in storage and the mica has never caused a malfunction in a firearm.

Nighthunter

Boolit Master

You can try it but I would do a very small batch first. I tried dusting with graphite and found that to be a mistake. And I agree with Skip62, I quit adding the hbn and nothing changed.

Quote Originally Posted by nighthunter View Post
    Would powdered mica be a suitable replacement for the hbn? Mica is sold as a dry lubricant and is very very fine in size. I have a bunch of it because I dust my lubed bullets with it to keep them from sticking together in storage and the mica has never caused a malfunction in a firearm.

Nighthunter
    I've read that it's the same thing. The place I got mine from had powder mica in parentheses behind hBN in the description.

I have wondered if it was applied after the coating cured what the result would be. Long range rifle shooters use it on their I-word bullets for more consistent groups. I wonder if it would have the same effect on coated bullets.

Quote Originally Posted by nighthunter View Post

Nighthunter
    I've read that it's the same thing. The place I got mine from had powder mica in parentheses behind hBN in the description.

I have wondered if it was applied after the coating cured what the result would be. Long range rifle shooters use it on their I-word bullets for more consistent groups. I wonder if it would have the same effect on coated bullets.

Skip, now that you discovered your mistake with the Klass Kote, you seem happy with it. What is your preference order for coatings? (between KK, Piglet, and HT)

Klass Kote...for now anyway....lol I don't have to bake it. The overall process is longer, but I'm not doing anything and I can do 800-1000 at time. I can speed it up with a heat gun if I need to. I think the barrel is cleaner with the Klass Kote, but that could be the tiny bit of carnauba I melt on. I need to shoot some PC with the carnauba to make sure, but I don't think I have any left, and I ain't make anymore any time soon, KK works fine for me. YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by Skip62 View Post
    Klass Kote...for now anyway....lol I don't have to bake it. The overall process is longer, but I'm not doing anything and I can do 800-1000 at time. I can speed it up with a heat gun if I need to. I think the barrel is cleaner with the Klass Kote, but that could be the tiny bit of carnauba I melt on. I need to shoot some PC with the carnauba to make sure, but I don't think I have any left, and I ain't make anymore any time soon, KK works fine for me. YMMV.
    I was hoping that was the answer! My oven just doesn't seem up to the task of giving consistent, adequate heat. So a no heating solution is great.

What is your process? I believe the Youtube video shows the guy baking his, though I've heard that baking is not required - it just speeds up the curing process.

Quote Originally Posted by Skip62 View Post

I've done this both on PC sprayed and tumbled boolits. I find no benefits of any kind. It does make sizing harder to do (go figure). So I tried sizing first before the HBN, but it just makes loading at the press slippery. Looks like I got a pound to sell.

Boolit Buddy

Was thinking of taking hardware cloth and making a squarebox or a hex tube and then connecting it to a rotissary spit with motor. With a fan on it, it will dry and agitate without them sticking. Just an idea, any one else come up with something except a vibration table.

Quote Originally Posted by prickett View Post
    I was hoping that was the answer! My oven just doesn't seem up to the task of giving consistent, adequate heat. So a no heating solution is great.

What is your process? I believe the Youtube video shows the guy baking his, though I've heard that baking is not required - it just speeds up the curing process.
    My oven wasn't up to the task either, it would swing from 325° to 475°, not good. That's why I went back to KK.

Basically, 1 teaspoon of KK in the bottom of a 2 1/2 quart mixing tub, dump in 1050grains of bullets and shake and swirl till coated. I dump before they start getting sticky. Repeat 4-6 hours later, sometimes 24 hours, until I've got 3 coats on. I then pour 2 racks of bullets into a sauce pan and warm them up with the heat gun, then put a little carnauba wax on them and mix around. I think this step makes the barrel cleaner. If you look at the MSDS sheets for KK it says you can speed up the curing time by heating to 120°. I sometimes do this with a heat gun, takes about 5 minutes to heat 8-10 racks. Some swirl longer with good results, it's one of those things that you have to play with until you know what works for you. I'm going to try 1/2 teaspoon for the first coat next time, just curious.

Good luck.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast