MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataSnyders JerkyWideners
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackbox
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Powder Coat Piglet style VS Klass Kote

Boolit Buddy

Powder Coat Piglet style VS Klass Kote

So I have tried the Klass Kote. It worked well in my 9mm. The .45 acp was iffy but I think I need to size the .45 acp .001 larger. I just ordered some PC from PBTP and will try some done up Piglet style using Lacquer thinner for a solvent. Has anyone else compared the two coatings? Please do not bring Hi Tek coatings into this thread. No disrespect to it, I know it works and all but would like to keep this between Piglet PC and Klass Kote.

Thanks
    Lights
    NRA Life Member
    OGC Member
    USPSA Member

When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty.
    Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master

I plan to try both soon. I have everything on order and am still waiting on the Klass Kote, HF PC, and the cheap oven. I already have the Powder By the Pound samples that I ordered (they have crazy fast service). I bought some lacquer thinner and plan to do the Piglet method. I have little desire to use the gun for spraying powder so if that fails then I will focus on the epoxy paint tumble. I did order the HBN powder only to have it be backordered on me. I may try an initial batch with some fine graphite added instead of the HBN to see if that acts in a similar manner as graphite is at least ten times cheaper. But for now I'm suffering through check the mailbox syndrome....

What is the advantage of Laquer Thinner over Acetone? I've used Piglet Coat and have been happy with the results, but if laquer thinner provides an advantage, I'd be all for it.

Skip has actually used both Klass Kote and Piglet Coat. IIRC, he thought KK was more difficult to control the coating process (was affected by temperature whereas PC is not). I believe he was successful with both, though.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by prickett View Post
    What is the advantage of Laquer Thinner over Acetone? I've used Piglet Coat and have been happy with the results, but if laquer thinner provides an advantage, I'd be all for it.

Skip has actually used both Klass Kote and Piglet Coat. IIRC, he thought KK was more difficult to control the coating process (was affected by temperature whereas PC is not). I believe he was successful with both, though.
    I found this on another forum. http://www.300blktalk.com/forum/view...?f=141&t=84219 He claims the Lacquer thinner works way better.
    NRA Life Member
    OGC Member
    USPSA Member

When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty.
    Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master
    I tried lacquer thinner with HF red power and found that it did NOT work as well as Acetone.
    I have good results with the Piglet method using HF red powder on my 9MM slugs.

Lafaun
    Just staying at home and playing with multi-color boolits.

Quote Originally Posted by Lights View Post
    I found this on another forum. http://www.300blktalk.com/forum/view...?f=141&t=84219 He claims the Lacquer thinner works way better.
    Thanks Lights. Guess its time to try some L.T.

I love how creative casters are. Now, if they'd just come up with a way that my boolits could cast themselves

Boolit Master

Thanks Lights. Guess its time to try some L.T.

I love how creative casters are. Now, if they'd just come up with a way that my boolits could cast themselves
    Never seen Magma's Mark 8 bullet Master??? Prepare yourself...

http://www.magmaengineering.com/comp...nners/click/9/

Quote Originally Posted by Maximumbob54 View Post
    Never seen Magma's Mark 8 bullet Master??? Prepare yourself...

http://www.magmaengineering.com/comp...nners/click/9/
    That $11,350 would buy a whole bunch of boolits cast by someone else

Boolit Master

That $11,350 would buy a whole bunch of boolits cast by someone else
    That's why I said prepare yourself... for the pricetag!!!!

Boolit Master

My first tumble of Klass Kote:

I will coat them again one more time tonight. I know a thin coat should keep them from puddling but I want to see if they can lay on the wax paper or if they need to stand up.

Boolit Buddy
    I just got my gloss Klass Kote catalyst today. I will say this the satin catalyst works but it is a PITA to mix. It has a ton of solids in it. The gloss has none. My PBTP powder order also showed up today. I need to get over to Wally World and get an oven later tonight. The wife about killed me the last time I cured Klass Kote'd boolits in here oven. Then I will compare Klass Kote to PC'd boolits on a far side by side test.
    NRA Life Member
    OGC Member
    USPSA Member

Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Maximumbob54 View Post

I will coat them again one more time tonight. I know a thin coat should keep them from puddling but I want to see if they can lay on the wax paper or if they need to stand up.
    Bob, try drying them on some hardware mesh. That is how HI-TEKers and Piglet Coaters do it.

Boolit Master

Bob, try drying them on some hardware mesh. That is how HI-TEKers and Piglet Coaters do it.
    I have a new roll ready I just wanted to try this first. It hasn't been long but I just handled a few and they don't stick at all. The best part is the epoxy doesn't look like it is puddling at all but once again I'm doing a thin coat.

Boolit Buddy
    I tumbled and baked some 9mm and .45 boolits yesterday. I used lacquer thinning with the PC and they come out like they have zits all over them. On the other hand I also did some up with Klass Kote and they came out nice. I may not have let the PC'ed ones flash enough before baking them. I will be off to the range to try them out in my RIA 1911 in the morning.
    NRA Life Member
    OGC Member
    USPSA Member

Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master

Cheap Harbor Freight powder coat, Kleen Strip lacquer thinner, and a cheap bucket from Home Depot:

I added some thinner over the bullets and swished it around and then dusted on some powder then shake a little add more powder and shake a little and continue until even:

I made a screen with a couple of layers of hardware cloth and rolled the edges to prevent any bullets rolling off:

Bake them at 400 degrees for thirty minutes but make sure the thinner has all dried first or they go boom in oven... Ask me how I know. No wait, don't...

Results in about half an hour...

Boolit Buddy
    I will try the PC again today.
    NRA Life Member
    OGC Member
    USPSA Member

Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master
    nice. Will have to try this.
    Thanks.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master

They turned out a little brown from the initial red color and they aren't perfect looking but ugly bullets still shoot good...

Boolit Master

After second coating and baking:

I'm finding they stick to the mesh pretty bad. Is anyone else getting this or am I doing something wrong?

Banned

Do you really need the second coat?

Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast