Snyders JerkyInline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad Data
WidenersTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Bore size PP

Boolit Buddy

Bore size PP

Thought I'd give PP a try in a 45-70. I've always shot GG's in my BPCRs. Rather than starting with a new mould, I bought some prepatched bullets from Montana Bullet works. They're from an Brooks mould (no number) , 500 gr cupped base patched up to .458. The slick is .439-.440 dia X 1.325 long. I decided that I wanted to try some bore dia. bullets so I repatched them with tracing vellum to .4505-.451. They're a slightly snug fit in the bore. I used my Lee set expansion die to just barely open the case mouth, not running the case through the die as I would with GGs. I can thumb seat them and they chamber, but the bullet fit is such that if I extract the round the bullet is pulled from the Winchester case. A Lyman taper crimp die is too big(I was warned). Do I go to thinner paper or is there a way to tighten up the case mouth. OR should I just go the shorther groove depth round and be done with it? BTW the barrel is a Wind River(Made by Green Mountain?). Brownell's used to sell them. .458 groove 1/18 twist on a TD action.

Duane

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by varsity07840 View Post
    Thought I'd give PP a try in a 45-70. I've always shot GG's in my BPCRs. Rather than starting with a new mould, I bought some prepatched bullets from Montana Bullet works. They're from an Brooks mould (no number) , 500 gr cupped base patched up to .458. The slick is .439-.440 dia X 1.325 long.
    That is a pretty thick patch ... definitely thicker than the depth of your rifling. I like patching to groove diameter, but it takes a bigger bullet than yours. I think you were right to repatch them for 'bore diameter'.

I can thumb seat them and they chamber, but the bullet fit is such that if I extract the round the bullet is pulled from the Winchester case. A Lyman taper crimp die is too big(I was warned). Do I go to thinner paper or is there a way to tighten up the case mouth.
    A Lee 45/70 Factory Crimp Die will take out that 'bell' perfectly. You can adjust it for how much, or how little, you want the mouth to grip the paper.

However, if the patched bullet is a tight fit in the bore, you will always have problems with extracting an unfired round. Running the wrapped bullet through a .450" Lee push-through sizing die can solve that problem.
    I don't know if Lee makes a die that diameter, but modifying a smaller one, or getting one custom made, are viable options.

CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Bullet pulling from the case is just one of the things with patched shooting. Don't chamber a round unless your going to fire it...
    Probably need to fire a few to see what/if you get for accuracy, then decide on things to change.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Buddy
    Thank you Don and Charlie

Duane