Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Fast vs. Slow powder

Boolit Grand Master

Ricochet,

Well said!

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master

I find that 2400 does all my cast bullet loads WELL! C.E Harris pretty much hit the nail on the head as far as I am concerned.
    A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one, you won't be needing one again.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat I. View Post
    Obviously you have me in your sites which doesn't bother me too much but realize you're not going to get any medals by proving me wrong about something. If that was the case half the people I know would be walking around looking like General Patton. But also realize that while it's true I was born on a day it wasn't yesterday.

Pat

Pat,

Nope. You got it all wrong. Data in data out. You just asked if anyone else had spent time HTing and got different measurements and I told ya. And I told you how. And why to the best of my knowledge.

The numbers I gave for 44s and 30s were from batches molded two years ago. When you water drop, you don't get an even number from my experience. That's why I oven HT so that consistency is better. Not sure what else you asked, but with ACWW, I can HT as low as 400 degrees and derive some HT value. By controlling temperature, you can control final hardness. Easier on larger diameter bullets. The point is that 30s cool fast enough for me that there just isn't much difference from inside out.

See I mold all winter and let everything AC and be unsized for flexibility. Then if I need harder bullets, I just cook them up. Just so you know where the experience comes from.
    Reading can provide limited education because only shooting provides YOUR answers as you tie everything together for THAT gun. The better the gun, the less you have to know / do & the more flexibility you have to achieve success.

Boolit Buddy
    Hey Ya'll,
    Just a thought but if a bullet has a softer core and a harder shell wouldn't that make it more durable or resistant to deformation during it's little jaunt down the bore ?
    Stay safe
    Calvin

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Calvin, yes it would provided the sides were not drawn in to make a depression in the center of the base. Pressure will expand equally into all directions upon primer ignition hopefully, but it does not do this because the boolit moves in response to the primer's force. Once something is moving, the center of pressure follows the center of the mass that is moving. Two things come to mind here. The boolit should be hard enough at the tail end to handle the force. The idea of the hollow base boolit comes into play, and it prolly would help us if we swagged a hole there with specially made dies. The other thing that comes to mind is that we need a primer composition that creates the shock wave and/or heat and no force. I don't ever see the latter happening any time soon. ... felix
    felix

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345