Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationWidenersTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Load Data

Thread: rolling block questions

Boolit Mold

rolling block questions

Just joined this forum. Got a rolling block a few years ago, marked 1868 w crown marks on action and barrel. Assume its 45 Danish. Havent had time to work with it; moved, built house. Bought some of the buffalo .348 brass thats been turned, about ready to start playing with it. Anybody load one of these?

welcome to the forum friend. no I have not had the pleasure but sounds like you are ready to dive in. pound a pure lead slug thru your well lubed barrel to ascertain the groove and bore diameters. then maybe do a chamber cast to ensure that you know for sure what chamber and throat diameter you are playing with.

after doing these things and are certain about the chamber dimensions... proceed to do small loads to make fireformed cases to your chamber.

after doing that ... take your cases and slightly swell or flair the mouth to void any left over crimp and then measure the mouth of the fire formed case to find out what the chamber wants or needs to shoot a full throat and your chances of having an accurate rifle will notch up substantially.

scrub that barrel very well and for as long as it takes to clean it back to bare metal and begin your development of a good accurate load. this is obviously an old black powder rifle and being such id be wary to shoot any smokeless loads thru her ... even after taking it to a qualified smith to inspect it for usability.

have fun with your old roller ... I sure do with my Remington in 43 Spanish.

again ... WELCOME! ... ... ...

Boolit Master

Assuming is not good.

Photos will remove all doubt as it could be Swedish.

Dutch

Boolit Mold
    Guy I bought it from said "it bulges 45-70 cases pretty bad" Ouch!!! The 11.7x53 cases I have actually fit the chamber. Obviously not a hot rod rifle. Everything I have read indicates this action is in the category of a trapdoor springfield in regards to working pressure. I'm not a blackpowder guy, considering Trail Boss

Boolit Buddy
    Hi wdbf,

Good Luck with your new rifle! Rolling blocks are lot's fun!

As others here have mentioned, PLEASE don't think--- "KNOW "---what your dealing with!

Look over the chamber & bore of your rifle REALLY well! Make a chamber casting. Look for bulges or GOD forbid cracks!

Just think about it a second.

Did he use lower powered 45-70 loads or some of the HOT new 45-70 loads on the market? Please post pictures here & figure out what you have first.
    Did you take the action apart & look for oval pin holes, do to over pressure? Does your action lock-up tight?

I don't want to be a alarmist but, it might hold together for a few rounds then!
    KA-POW I saw a old rifle come apart years ago.The guy was two benchs down from me, it was a bloody mess!!

Best to you,
    broomhandle

A chamber cast is definitely a wise first step.

And yes, all I've read about rolling blocks is that they are at their best with pressures limited to no more than about 26,000 CUP.

My own rolling block in .38-55 uses loads of 4198, 4227 and AA5744 in appropriate measures to attain muzzle velocities of between 1300 and 1400 fps. The amounts of powder used for this are quite light so I use a tuft of pillow stuffing over top to hold the powder back near the rear of the casing.
    Witty saying to be plagarized shortly.....

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Forget about trailboss, the pressure it builds is almost scary, especially in an old rifle like that.
    There's a ton of smokeless powder that will deliver better velocity and accuracy with less pressure , and when all else fails there's always blackpowder.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Dutchman that responded to you a couple posts up has a ton of knowledge about these things. Other than get 50 differing opinions I would ask his help on identifying and then cleaning, examining and loading for the old gem. His sight has lots of good information and links about rollers. My $.02
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen

"THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph."
    Thomas Paine

Boolit Master

Hello WBDF
    Welcome on your first and second post
    You will find this a FUN place

Look like this?

By the way, the rifle was NOT harmed in mounting the scope.
    The original rear sight screws were used to secure the weaver base that was custom drilled to
    match the barrel holes

Shoot Remington Green Box 45-70 in it.
    Neck size the fired cases, stuff in a .457 diameter CAST bullet and use again

Lots of good reading here

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-70&highlight=

Come to Amarillo and we will shoot, shoot, shoot

I am pres of the Amarillo Rifle and Pistol Club

http://arpc04.brinkster.net/

Mike
    Last edited by skeettx; 07-22-2013 at 07:38 PM.
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Got also a new toy some days agoo, A danish Tojhus 1874 Engineer Carbine, think caliber might be .45-70.
    The barrel inside is as good as new, wished, I could say the same about the stock and fore end.
    I want to shoot the oldie but due to more restrictive laws over here it is nearly impossible to buy BP.
    I was thinking about a substitute; Pyrodex or Triple 7 to load a 400 grain bullet, what do you think?
    It seems it also needs some attention because there is some play causing headspace at the breech block.
    Simplifying is mostly the best way of improving

Boolit Buddy
    i shoot a 43 spanish 38-55 50-45 7mm and 30-30 in rollers, i would not even think of trail boss. it is like bulls eye or red dot only bulkier. look at their own website an check out the pressures

Boolit Buddy
    Using black powder is the main reason I shoot my .43 Egyptian roller. I love the smoke and smell and it is not hard to clean at all; just a different procedure.