MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersInline FabricationLee Precision
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Load Data Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: what is a used Dillon 550 worth

I went back and read the OP post again. He says the machine is 1 year old? That is new. Once again Full Pop or 95% with free shipping.

There isn't any reason to lose money on this tool. And especially if you don't "REALLY NEED TO SELL IT."

Really,,, a better Idea is to keep it. You might not be using it right now but the time might come when you want to pump out a bunch of .223's, Then you'll have the right machinery to do the job.

Love Life is selling his 1050, however he just finished loading a life time supply of .308's so it would be another 10+ years before he needed it again, so in that case, sure sell it. He won't ever need it again. But I bet he buys a new gun with the money.

I almost sold all of my reloading tools about 15 years ago because I hadn't used them in a few years. A friend talked me out of it simply because I really didn't need the money (which would have been $100) and now I thank him frequently for talking sense to me.

Just because you don't use a tool often does not mean you won't have use for it someday. I have tools in my Machine shop I haven't used in years, but then a job comes along and bam I got the tool and I don't have to go buy one or try to borrow one which would invariably cost me more than I paid in the first place.

All you have to do is put the thing back in the box and put it somewhere it won't get defiled and leave it sit. It won't go away and will still look new.

When you are done with reloading and shooting then you sell your stuff off. Look at it as an asset worth money, and also look at what you'd do with the money should you sell it now? If you let your wife know about it, that money will get spent on some useless BS! Food partying, diapers, bills IE all useless BS!

I consider it to be selling your dreams.

I watched as a guy I met was selling his Jeep TJ on EBay that was repowered with a Cummins 4Cyl. It was a beautiful Jeep and was converted very nicely. It was worth $20K easily.

He put it on EBay and got less than $10K for it, and he used the money to pay bills from having a kid, because his wife didn't feel comfortable with having doctor bills.

Well he didn't get all the bills paid off, so now he's still got bills and no Jeep, and now his wife left him and he's got not wife either! But he still has all the bills.

He sold his dream! IN fact he squandered his dream for his wife's peace of mind and when he didn't deliver, she left him!

He'll never get another Jeep like it!

You never sell assets to pay simple bills, and especially Medical Bills.(they make way too much and insurance co's are among the worst offenders. When you get done you have no assets and generally have NOT paid off the bills either. So then you have nothing and your are still in Debt. Let them wait and find another way to pay them off. They can't repossess you car because you have medical bills.

Being in Debt is not a quantifiable thing. Debt is Debt. You are no worse off in the real world if you owe $2000 or $2 Million. There is no "Debtors Prison" in the US. If you owe the IRS $10,000 you can get a Lawyer renegotiate it down to $1000 easily. If you are willing to pay something bill collectors will leave you alone. You can always file Bankruptcy! Which more people are doing nowadays than ever before simply because the banks stole their homes.

I would however avoid getting behind with Loan Sharks as they will kick your **** or worse.

Now if you sell your equipment to buy a nice gun I can see that. I just sold three rifles and bought a $2000 shotgun. Gun money must stay in guns, and not in the ole' ladies' purse.

Keep your dreams close to your chest! People will steal them if they can!

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Love Life
    In my case, I couldn't feed the 1050!!! I like to take my time loading and relax. The Super 1050 as for business and was more than worth the purchase. Now that it is sold the 550 is for cranking out mass produced pistol, and the single stage is for rifle.

It depends on the wear on your machine as well. My machine was less than 4 months old, but it had run dang near a lifetime of brass through it!! Plus I was tired of pulling the handle on the thing. I charged below new for a couple reasons:

It was used
    Had a cracked case feeder funnel (thanks Dillon)
    Super 1050 machines aren't as in high demand as your 550 is.

Your machine (from the way it sounds) seems it would fetch very near new or over new prices.

Some people understand you have to pay to play and if they want to play with it now, then they have to pay!!

I'd list it on Gunbroker.

W. R. Buchannan- No new gun for this guy. I'm getting ready to buy my own piece of earth and the big Dillon has served it's purpose. It is a truly awesome machine.
    Last edited by Love Life; 07-23-2013 at 12:02 AM.

Boolit Master

Posts 21 and 22 are very good advice. I love my Dillon presses. Not everyone does. Keeping it if it's not "eating any hay" as my Dad used to say, may be a very smart idea. In my own extended family, one old Dillon Square Deal was buried in the garage for years, only to be pulled, lubed up, and put to use by the next generation.

Let us know what YOU decide to do.

Quote Originally Posted by EddieNFL View Post
    Enos have 'em in stock?
    Call & find out? AS noted, he gets it from Dillon, but shipping is free from him, not always from Dillon.
    I recently sold my first 550, converted to a 550B for free, to a buddy for what I paid for it 25yrs ago, $260. He was happy & I bought a new 650. I still load quite a bit on a newer 550B, the 650 would go before the 550B.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Buddy
    I need another powder measure if you would want to thin down on that item.I have to use the magnum powder bar to load my .280 Remington.It would be nice to not have to swap out that much system when I go to small stuff.Here is the item with a caliber set up conversion off their site.I am the "Dinosaur" there with a customer number of 4 didgets starting with a 2.Seems when I call they tell everyone in the room after getting my customer number.Make me a good deal,and I will buy it.
    Dillon Powder Measure
    Stock Number: 20782
    Specifications Additional powder measures stay on the toolhead. Never change powder measurements again!
    $76.95
    RL 550B Deluxe Quick Change Assembly
    Stock Number: 22058
    Specifications
    With a quick change assembly and a caliber conversion kit (sold separately), you can convert in less than a minute.
    Complete with: Toolhead, Powder Measure, Powder Die, Toolhead Stand.
    $103.95
    QTY
    RL 550B Deluxe Quick Change Assembly
    Knowledge shall forever govern ignorance!

I see what I am hunting just coming off the "GRILL"!

It is not a measure of moral health to be well adjusted in a sick society!
    Jules

Boolit Bub
    Yeah it's a hard choice. Sometimes I hate this press. I pull on the handle for an hour and then I am done, out of components. My wife bought this machine for my birthday last year. At the time I had only a rock chucker and will batch load for hours without getting anywhere. I really enjoy my lee classic turret and can load at a respectable rate. Ammo is good and I'm not out of components right away. My problem being disabled is there is a lot more time than money. He tedious jobs keep me busy and that is good. I thought I would get into swaging with the revenue from this press. That would keep me busy. Thanks for all your kind words.
    Ben

You need to find out who bid on this and sell it to him.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DILLON-RELOA...item4857a5e60f

It seems Dillon is caught up on presses, except the 1050.

I have am in the process in "going blue", would be interested in your 550b if the price was right.

Boolit Buddy
    Hi Ben,
    I shouldn't give any advice on anything, I change my mind more than the weather does in Kansas! I been reloading along time! I bought a brand new RL450B not long after they came out! I just took it off the bench 3-4 weeks ago,
    I sold it to my best friend, this is my friend that I gave my original Herter's "C" press, that I started off with a long time ago! I know that if I would ever want it back, he would give it back! If that thing could talk and I am glad it can't no nothing bad!
    Ben, before you list it for sale, set back and think things threw. You have the best 2 press's you can own, Rock Chucker and RL 550B! This may sound out of place but, Reloading has always been a "labor of Love" pure passion for me!! No, I might be crazy, but not about my reloading! I love my 550' and can't live without them! I can set down and load as many pistol rounds that I can shoot in 2-3 times out, in 30-45 mins. But when I go down to the other end of my bench, depending on what I am trying to do, I might not get a single round done in 2-3 sitting of a total of 4 hours done over 2 day's or so! But when working on that end, it is all about one thing and one thing only, and that is to get the very best out of the rounds I am loading!

Ben,
    If you sell your 550, you most likely will never buy another one!! I have been in your shoes most of my life!!! But look long, look hard, before you sell it!! If your machine look's like new or real close, it will bring retail!!
    Go to one of the many on line jobber's and see what the price is (I know that they don't have them) and that works in your favor!!

Set your self down, and weigh everything out, and let your true felling's decide!
    Good Luck!
    G

Quote Originally Posted by Alvarez Kelly View Post
    Brian Enos doesn't stock Dillon products. He drop ships everything directly Dillon.
    I know. Was making a point.

Boolit Bub
    Great advice Mr. COLLINS thank you. There are 2 ends of my bench and while I prefer the middle at this point maybe that will change. When I bought the press I loaded about 5000 rds of 9mm and 8000 rds of 223. I don't shoot 9 or 223 very often but pulling on the lee classic turret that much would probably make my arms fall off. It did not take that long with the Dillon once I developed my loads that worked best in my guns.
    Ben

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by EddieNFL View Post
    I know. Was making a point.
    I guess I missed your point. Dillon has 550s in stock now. Unless you want rifle dies or a 1050, they are pretty well caught up.

I just ordered a boat load from Brian Enos. Everything was delivered less than a week later.

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range
    i went to a estate sale last sat. they payed 600.00 for a 650 with no add ons,but on the flip side i bought a set of 45 acp and 9mm dillon dies brand new for 20.00 per set go figure

Boolit Buddy
    I am trying to figure out your first line, Did they have a 650 or had they bought a 650?
    G

Auctions or estate sales are like that. Many people pay way more than something is worth just to have it right now. Two years ago a guy stood next to me & bid $600 for a NIB 650, no case feeder, no dies. After 10% fee & sales tax, he could have just called Brian & saved $100!
    Quote Originally Posted by 257 View Post
    i went to a estate sale last sat. they payed 600.00 for a 650 with no add ons,but on the flip side i bought a set of 45 acp and 9mm dillon dies brand new for 20.00 per set go figure
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12