WidenersSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingLee Precision
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what is a used Dillon 550 worth

Boolit Bub

what is a used Dillon 550 worth

Hey guys
    I have a Dillon rl550b about a year old. It has 9mm 45 and 223 caliber conversions along with 2 powder measures 2 toolheads and a tool head stand. All the extra parts and powder bars pick up tubes I have as well. What is it worth? I have been kicking around the idea of selling it. I hardly use it and seem to always use the Lee classic turret or the rock chucker. Any ideas?
    Ben

Boolit Buddy

Payed $300 for one with just a 44mag conversion and one tool head. So i would say at least $400

Love Life
    In today's market you can list it on ebay or Gunbroker and get from 90% of your purchase price, to over what you originally paid.

Here I would ask 80-90% of what I paid.

Put on the right forum and you can probably get your money back. Prices increased since you bought yours.

Boolit Man
    I have seen those things sell for MORE THAN RETAIL on eBay! You should get very close to retail. At least 90%
    (And, this is coming from a LNL lover!)

Boolit Master

Post it here with a price. It'll sell quickly if its fair. It won't if its too high.

I'm not being flippant. EBay will nick you for 10% and PayPal will get 3% more. Something to think about.

I'll buy it if the price is right. How much did you have in mind?

Boolit Master

They are worth at least 80% of the retail value, maybe more. Dillon equipment holds their prices really well.
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.

Boolit Buddy
    I may be interested if you are selling
    NRA Life member
    NRA Pistol Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection Inside the Home Instructor
    NRA Reloading Instructor
    NRA Range Safety Officer
    ISP Certified CC Instructor w/approved curriculum and own private range

Just remember.....there is always room in the safe for one more, if not....get another safe!

Boolit Mold
    Dillon is running backordered and you have one somebody can have right now. Don't get lowballed. Remember, lifetime warranty transfers...I'd say 80-90% of retail minimum...or better yet, work a trade for a gun you want.

80% in good times, 90% in current bad times. Shipping is the big PITA though. I can order a new one from Enos & get shipping free. UPS for a 550 is gonna be about $40, so add that in.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Love Life
    Use gunbroker. The fees are less. Get max return for your item.

Boolit Bub
    I was thinking trade. I want to learn swaging and the dies are expensive

If you sold it a few months ago you could have doubled your money. I had a 650 sell for over $1800 a few months ago.

Love Life
    Quote Originally Posted by jmorris View Post
    I had a 650 sell for over $1800 a few months ago.
    Ahhh. The smell of happines!!!!

I'd ask full retail if it is clean and in perfect order. Just because a machine has been previously sold doesn't not mean it is worth less.

If it looks new, then for all intents and purposes it is new. Even if it is 10 years old if it is current as far as factory upgrades and mods and it has sat in the box, it still is new. They don't age like wine, they don't exceed the value of current models like a NIB pre 64 M70, they just are just valued the same as current models.

Even one that has been used extensively would be worth 80-90% of current retail. Especially now during a shortage.

IT is pretty hard to wear out reloading equipment. And really the depreciation is minimal.

Since Dillon is a few weeks out on delivery and you've got one you can ship in one day then you've got a premium item.

Offer it for retail with free shipping. If it is less than perfect then adjust the price accordingly.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Bub
    Get a copy of the Blue press and see what everything you have is selling for, and then that would give you a idea what it is worth. From what I have seen, you could get back what you pay for it new. As others have said, I've seen this equipment sell for even more.

Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    I'd ask full retail if it is clean and in perfect order. Just because a machine has been previously sold doesn't not mean it is worth less.
    Randy
    Actually it does if you can buy it new for less all in. Again, shipping is expensive, Brian E ships free. So at current market, 90% would be fair. Of course, if you can get more, get more. availability often trumps price.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

In Remembrance

Just keep it and use it! I have a 550b in my reloading room, and use it all of the time for reloading. I also do a lot of development work, and a bunch of swaging on a RCBS RockChucker. The die sets are worth about $55 new, and the conversion kits are another $45 or so. The stands are about $20. That's if there is one of the calibers you weren't ever going to use. You can also go to Dillon's web site and see what a new machine costs. For $35 and the cost of shipping your machine to them, they will bring it up to BRAND NEW condition, which would fetch you virtually brand new price.

But, if it were me, I'd keep the machine and use it. You won't be able to trade it directly for 30 caliber swaging dies. I'm pretty sure on that. Check your PM.

NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Quote Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
    Actually it does if you can buy it new for less all in. Again, shipping is expensive, Brian E ships free. So at current market, 90% would be fair. Of course, if you can get more, get more. availability often trumps price.
    Enos have 'em in stock?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by EddieNFL View Post
    Enos have 'em in stock?
    Brian Enos doesn't stock Dillon products. He drop ships everything directly from Dillon. I believe Dillon is pretty well caught up, unless you need .223 or .308 dies.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast