RepackboxLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
WidenersLee PrecisionInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1911 Plunger Tube Question

Boolit Grand Master

1911 Plunger Tube Question

Mine came loose with the safety on.

I had read about this happening in the past, so knew what it was and didn't panic. I was concerned that there was a live round in the chamber, and I could neither fire it, or eject it from the jammed safety. I was able to get the safety to the ready position and fire the round.

Anyway, I asked a friend if he had a staker tool and he did. Saved me having to buy the Gunrunner staking tool from Brownells. What I did, was clean up the plunger tube, and the holes, chamfer the holes a bit more, and re install.

Should I have replace it with a new one?? I suppose if it comes off again I'll have answered my own question. I bought this gun second hand almost 30 years ago, and this is the first real issue I have had with it. There were 700 rounds but through this firearm since June 30th.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master

As long as it is not bent or dinged where the spring cant function, and it is staked solidly, you are good to go.
    "with liberty and justice for all"...must be 18 or older, not available in all states, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply. D. Stanhope

"The remedy for evil men is not the abrogation of the rights of law abiding citizens. The remedy for evil men is the gallows." Thomas Jefferson

"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them." George Mason Co-author of the Second Ammemdment

Boolit Grand Master
    We'll See KM101. I did use Red Loctite on the rivets before crimping.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Silver solder.

If you're worried about it, they make a screw-on plunger tube

http://www.egwguns.com/plunger-tubes...ger-tube-blue/

Attachment 76799

Boolit Master
    They also make one that has four legs to stake. You have to drill two additional holes in the frame for them. IIRC a template is available to locate the holes for you.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Master

The new Ruger 1911's are one piece...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jrayborn View Post
    The new Ruger 1911's are one piece...
    They (Rugers) are series 70, so that may be the difference.

prs

Boolit Master

Series 70 series 80 a plunger tube is a plunger tube.
    Correct [Y] [N]
    Hate is like drinking poison and hoping the other man dies.

*Cohesiveness* *Leadership* *a common cause***

***In a gunfight your expected to be an active participant in your own rescue***

The effective range of an excuse is ZERO Meters

Boolit Master

correct.

Boolit Master
    Ya, but maybe all are not tacked on or peened on.

prs

Boolit Grand Master
    Back when we had 1911A1's in the Navy, I never tried to reuse a plunger tube that had pulled from its original staking. Of course every shore Armory and ship that I was on had dozens of new plunger tubes floating around the armory.

There really isn't much metal in the legs of a plunger tube, so I always figured it was better to properly fit a new one than try to reuse the old one that had already malfunctioned once.

Robert

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post
    Back when we had 1911A1's in the Navy, I never tried to reuse a plunger tube that had pulled from its original staking. Of course every shore Armory and ship that I was on had dozens of new plunger tubes floating around the armory.

There really isn't much metal in the legs of a plunger tube, so I always figured it was better to properly fit a new one than try to reuse the old one that had already malfunctioned once.

Robert
    This has crosssed my mind. My next order from Midway or Brownells will have one on it. A cheap part.

SHiloh
    Je suis Charlie

Bertrand de Jouvenel

Boolit Grand Master
    Ressurected this post for further info.

I restaked with red Loctite. I also have a new one on the way. In the mean time, I located some mid power loads of the LEE 225 gr RN. 75 rounds with me constantly playing with the safety, and it is still solid. I'll try some more on tueday. If it holds, I'll keep the spare in reserve. Maybe put it on this winter when it is too cold to shoot.

SHiloh
    Je suis Charlie

Bertrand de Jouvenel

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiloh View Post
    Ressurected this post for further info.

I restaked with red Loctite. I also have a new one on the way. In the mean time, I located some mid power loads of the LEE 225 gr RN. 75 rounds with me constantly playing with the safety, and it is still solid. I'll try some more on tueday. If it holds, I'll keep the spare in reserve. Maybe put it on this winter when it is too cold to shoot.

SHiloh
    You know that when you restaked the old tube and ordered a new one, the old will never come loose!

The tube on my bullseye gun loosened and walked, on the slide stop end, and kept trying to engage while firing. Did little for my score that day. Once repeened it never moved again.

Banned
    I use new tubes, stake and glue that sucker down.

Boolit Master

Yes, always use locktite and stake vigorously...

Quote Originally Posted by prs View Post
    Ya, but maybe all are not tacked on or peened on.

prs
    The Ruger SR1911 plunger tube is part of the frame. It is not a staked-on separate piece. This + the titanium firing pin were the deciding factors for me going with the Ruger.

The plunger tube came loose on my Springfield milspec. I restaked it with a homemade tool I made at the time. I've put bout 7k rounds through it since and it is still holding fast.

Did this on my Colt O.M. about 20 years ago. It's a daily carry , gets nothing but full charge loads .Clean the holes and pins , use HD red locketite . You'll need heat to take it apart.
    The 3 people a man must be able to trust completely are his gunsmith his doctor & his preacher ..,his gunsmith for his short term health ,his doctor for long term health ,and his preacher incase one of the others mess up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast