Titan ReloadingRepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything Load Data
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1911 grip screw bushing stripped

1911 grip screw bushing stripped

How do you fix a stripped grip bushing (the part that is stripped is the alloy frame).
    Big Bore = 45+

Quote Originally Posted by MGySgt View Post
    How do you fix a stripped grip bushing (the part that is stripped is the alloy frame).

Brownell's oversized bushing and tap:

http://www.brownells.com/handgun-par...p-prod621.aspx

This is a nasty problem particularly with the aluminum frames. The best option is to get the oversize tap and a set oversize bushings. The best source for these is a guy on eBay, his name is similar to "reddogalaska" if you need the info let me know and I'll dig up the actual name. This tap is kind of difficult to use, having 60 tpi if I remember correctly. It needs to be aligned exactly. Once you get it aligned, go through to the other side of the frame and get two holes at once. You only get one shot at this. Use a tapping fluid especially made for aluminum to avoid "pulling" the threads. Use a permanent type of loctite, staking does not seem to be effective with aluminum frames. I have a Colt LW Commander with bushings that pulled out. I discovered that two of the four bushings were already oversize. I cured this by cleaning the frame and bushings with acetone and then used JB Weld to "glue" the bushing in. It has held up for a couple years so far; but I'm sure I'll need a replacement frame at some point, luckily this gun is carried a lot , but fired infrequently. The ends of the bushing inside the frame will need to be carefully filed to provide clearance for magazines. Never over tighten the grip screws and I always use a dab of anti seize on grip screws for 1911 style frames.

Hope this helps.

I tried the JB Weld yesterday and put it back together this morning - It may have worked on the upper hole but not the lower hole. I don't think there was enough JB Weld between the frame and the bushing.

This gun (Kimber) is a used gun I picked up a few months ago. These look like replacement bushings already (they don't match the left side - no Stake marks).

It is also for carry and not much shooting. I just bought a Ruger SR1911CMD for the heavy shooting part. I am sending it off tomorrow to have an Ambi Safety (I am left handed), Trigger to 3.5 - 3.75 pounds, set the over travel screw, Extractor tuned it throws cases all over the place.

The Kimber shoots good, and feels good, But I am weary of shooting it too much - you can already see where the first owner must have shot HP ammo and the feed ramp is a little battered and marked.

My practice ammo will be either the Lee 230 TC or the Clone of the RCBS 45-230-CM.

The Ruger shoots the RCBS clone real well, but the Kimber goes to slide lock - that fat nose is catching on the slide lock. I might try the Ruger Slide Lock pin just to see if that resolves the issue.

Replacing the Frame - if it can't be fixed? I believe I will try putting some cross cuts in the bushing holes and putting some flat spots on the bushings and this time instead of using JB Weld I am going to use AccuGlass from Brownells. I have had an unopened box of it on the shelf for a number of years. As long as it has not gone bad (evaporated) it should hold it.
    Any thoughts on that resolution???
    Big Bore = 45+

Red Loctite

Quote Originally Posted by Skipper View Post
    Red Loctite
    Not if there isn't any threads left to hold it.
    Big Bore = 45+

Boolit Grand Master

It'd try red loctite, even if the threads are stripped. If not red, get some green
    Loctite "Stud and Bearing Mount" and try it.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Sorry folks been a little busy this last few days.

I received a PM about the size of the over size bushing and they won't work - because the bushings are already the over size type!

So - it is replace the frame (NOT) or 'glue' the bushings into the frame - guess what - I am going to glue them in. I am not real sure if I will use JB Weld or Accu Glass.

Going to be busy the rest of the week and I am going away this weekend for a reunion this weekend so it won't get done this weekend either!

I will let you know how it turns out.

Drew
    Big Bore = 45+

in Remebrance
    I presume you're talking about AcraGlas Gel. If the white stuff appears to be dried out you can microwave the jar a little at a time till it softens back up--per Brownells tech staff. I've done it. GW
    "If you can walk with crowds and keep your virtue,
    Or walk with Kings, nor lose the common touch,
    Yours is the earth and everything that's in it,
    And, which is more, you'll be a man my son!" R. Kipling

"Brother to a Prince, and fellow to a pauper, if found worthy." Kipling

Goatwiskers - that's the stuff! I just found it to verify. I have this unopened box for maybe 10 years. I just checked the release agent (shock the container and you can hear the liquid sloshing around inside) it should be good to go.

No release agent will be used as I don't want the bushings coming back out!!!!

I need to get some play dough to pack into the bushing so none of it creeps up into the threads.

Drew
    Big Bore = 45+

Well - the bottom hole is fixed.

Used a small round file to chamfer the bottom of the hole and then file some groves in the top and bottom of the hole at a 45 degree. Put a piece of Scotch tape across the bottom of the hole and packed a little play dough in the bottom of the busing and put a screw in it.

Pull out my Brownells glass bedding compound and went to mix up a small batch - no good - the resin is hard as a rock - never been opened before.

Pulled out the JB Weld and mixed up a small batch of it. Put a good amount in the hole with a tooth pic and around the threaded portion of the bushing.

Made sure the bushing was bottomed out properly and let it sit over night.

This morning I pulled the tape off and trimmed the bottom of the hole with a razor blade. Cleaned up some around the top (outside) of the bushing and tried the grip panel.

it is a little tight due to JB weld on the bushing but the panel goes on and bottoms out.

I don't believe that bushing is coming out anytime soon!!!!!

But the proof is in the shooting. That will have to wait until Tuesday or Wednesday - off to PA in a few hours and won't be back until late Monday.

Drew
    Big Bore = 45+

Well - Finally had time to shoot it. 2nd mag the top bushing was loose again. I did not file any grooves in that one. Finished doing that before dinner - I will mix up some more JB Weld and try again.

If this does not work I just might glue the grips on!!!!
    Big Bore = 45+

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MGySgt View Post
    Well - Finally had time to shoot it. 2nd mag the top bushing was loose again. I did not file any grooves in that one. Finished doing that before dinner - I will mix up some more JB Weld and try again.

If this does not work I just might glue the grips on!!!!
    Hi,
    We all have different talents with different things. If it was mine I would silver solder the bushing on. It has to be CLEAN and bright but should be doable. Red loctite is also strong if the gap is minimal ie tight!
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
    We ask not your counsels or arms.
    Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
    May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
    Janet Reno, killed more children at Waco, with Bill Clinton's permission, than Adam Lanza killed, at Sandy Hook.

I had this same problem many years ago. Loctite Bearing fit worked perfectly.
    "Consciousness is a lie your brain tells you to make you think you know what you are doing." Professor Maria Goncalves.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear. George Orwell.

Banned

brownell's app sucks compaired to midway's.

Quote Originally Posted by gunoil View Post
    brownell's app sucks compaired to midway's.
    Please explain.
    Big Bore = 45+

Quote Originally Posted by seagiant View Post
    Hi,
    We all have different talents with different things. If it was mine I would silver solder the bushing on. It has to be CLEAN and bright but should be doable. Red loctite is also strong if the gap is minimal ie tight!
    It has been awhile since I did any metal work (welding, etc..) but how do you silver solder aluminum alloy?
    Big Bore = 45+

Boolit Grand Master

Option 3...

Turn over size oversize bushings. Had to do this a couple times. Any good machine shop sould be able to do it, all you will need is the Brownell's tap for the bushing screws.

Sorry KCSO - It already has oversize bushing on that side.

Just cleaned up the JB Weld (had a bump on the inside where the tape let some squish out and had to file it off) and put it back together - panels seem to be tight. Haven't put any blue Loctite on the grip screws yet. I am going top wait until after I shoot it a few times to see if the bushing hold.
    Big Bore = 45+

Boolit Grand Master

Sorry I was talking about custom turned bushings. I have had to make them in big bigger and biggest for some guns.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast