Load DataRepackboxTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
WidenersLee PrecisionReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 1911 grip screw bushing stripped

Boolit Master
    You are not going to do any sort of quality repair that lasts without welding closed the grip bushing holes in the frame (tig welding only) and drill, countersink the back ( a dremel tool is used to cut the countersink in the inside of the frame with a 1/4" rotary file for alum frame ) Depth of countersink is 30% of the frame thickness. Install the new grip screw bushing and follow the directions that come with the staking tool. Also handy to have the grip screw tap ( 1 for the grip screw, one for the bushing, total of 2 taps ) Using the same Dremel tool with a grinding wheel, grind off the extra part of the inside of the grip screw bushing until it is flush with the frame for mag clearance. Glue, epoxy will work up until the firearm gets a few mags through with any of these, and you will end up in the same place. Nice firearm you are talking about here, deserves to be fixed properly, you won't regret it. You are going to need a qualified gunsmith with a mill and the proper tools for this, should have a tig welder as well. Not a job for Buba. I make my own 1911 frames for the 1911's that I have build for myself, some experience in this area over the last 30 years machining frames. I'm sure you can find a proper shop near to you that can do this work. Don't expect this fix to be cheap, but with the proper repair it won't cost one quarter the cost of a new frame.
    Chris
    Last edited by cwheel; 08-19-2013 at 07:22 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

One of the reasons glues arnt holding is your stripped hole dosnt allow for enough glue between the parts. I have studied this for work and glue film is mandatory for adhesives to work. Some are ,010 filmn, some more. We had an epoxy that hhad a .010 grit in it to maintain the bond thickness over large areas.The stripped hole is size for size or possibly a couple thousandths bigger is all. Personally I would have it welded by a good welder and re drill and tap it.

Have already contacted a shop and talked to them (just under a 2 hour drive). I will be taking it to them on Sat. Actually it is another member here and we have been PM'ing one another almost since this thread started.

The bushing's on that side will need to be replaced as well - no big deal - I learned from the failed project.
    Big Bore = 45+

Dropped off the Kimber on Saturday - Today I was bored so I broke out my Ruger GSR. I think I may have another Leopold scope going south!
    Big Bore = 45+

Picked up the Kimber today

Picked up the Kimber this evening from Bayside Custom Gunworks. I think Chris did an excellent job of welding up the holes and 'painting' the frame with cerakote, cost was reasonable.

Welded up frame and completed gun.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Kimber.Frame.jpg   Kimber done.jpg  
    Big Bore = 45+

Boolit Buddy
    Hello MGySgt,
    I do not recommend using any loctite on the grip screws. I like to use: oil, grease, or antisieze compound on the grip screw threads. A very small rubber "0" ring under the head of each grip screw (snug fit on the threads) will keep them "snug" and keep the grip panels secure without causing any problems. Just one approach.
    Getting old is the best you can hope for.

Boolit Grand Master

I googled Bayside Custom Gunworks and got a place in Wyoming! I doubt that's two hours from you in Virginia! Can you give us a little more contact information?
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Safeshot - Chris made his own bushings out of bronse (SP) with a deep thread so they won't stip out. One mag and the bushing started to back out - had to use Blue LocTite to keep the bushing in. Shot many rounds through it since then and no problems. I did use rubber O rings on the grip screws to keep the panels in place.
    Big Bore = 45+

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    I googled Bayside Custom Gunworks and got a place in Wyoming! I doubt that's two hours from you in Virginia! Can you give us a little more contact information?
    Since I had the work done (5 years ago) Chris has moved his busines out to Wyoming. I was suprised when I sent him an e-mail in January about some work I wanted him to do and found out he had left Matherly Va and moved out there. Why he moved, I don't know.

Drew
    Big Bore = 45+

Do you really need them?

Years ago I did an amazing action job an a S&W 629, but when I put the grips on it went to hell. I realized the grip screw was just in the right/wrong place and when the main spring bowed, it hit the screw changing the action. So I left the screw out. Used clear silicone (the thinking man's duct tape) to hold the grips on. Been shooting it that way for about 20+ years now. If I need to take them off, I do and just glue them back on. lol
    Former cylindersmith.

Quote Originally Posted by cas View Post
    Do you really need them?

Years ago I did an amazing action job an a S&W 629, but when I put the grips on it went to hell. I realized the grip screw was just in the right/wrong place and when the main spring bowed, it hit the screw changing the action. So I left the screw out. Used clear silicone (the thinking man's duct tape) to hold the grips on. Been shooting it that way for about 20+ years now. If I need to take them off, I do and just glue them back on. lol
    dThat was going to be my next atempt to hold the grips on. ould have been a lot cheaper than what chris did.
    Big Bore = 45+

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123