MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackboxReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionLoad DataWidenersTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky

Thread: 1911 help

Boolit Mold

1911 help

I have a colt mk IV series 80 1911 That keeps shooting low I mean at least 5 inches at 15 yards low I have tried several different loads any where from 750 to 930 fps different stances and I am sure I am not limp wresting it is there anything else I could try or look at any help would be greatly appreciated

Boolit Buddy

Sounds like a flinch. Of course, you could just aim a little higher.

Boolit Master
    Are you sure you're not throwing them out the barrel? Have you shot from a rest? Besides low, How does it shoot otherwise?
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. -- H.L. Mencken

The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naïve and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who likes his country more than the rest of us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen turning to crime; he is a good citizen driven to despair.― H.L. Mencken

Boolit Grand Master

Could be a lot of things, from sights off to shooter.

Start by shooting off a sandbag and see where it hits. If it moves up to the POA, then
    you need to work on trigger control.

Also, have a friend load a dummy round into the mag and shoot a normal group.
    If you are jerking/flinching, you WILL see the sight jerk down when you hit the
    dummy round.

Been there, done that for many months, got the T-shirt, too.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Others will have much more experience in diagnosing this, but if you are 'sure you are not limp wristing' it sounds like your wrist is stiff, and maybe you are consciously trying to keep the barrel down as the round shoots.

If your timing is off by a millisecond (which is pretty sure to happen), round will shoot low as the muzzle dives slightly while boolit is still in barrel. Ive found, after more reading of Keith and the like, that riding the recoil/muzzle flip 'like a bronc' i think is how Elmer put it, that my results got much more consistent. Further, i found myself with a pretty standard 6 o clock aim on bullseyes and has been working well.

Pretty much in a nutshell: dont fight the recoil, let it happen as it may, and just drill into your muscle memory how much the muzzle flips and then how much you have to bring it back down for follow up shots and pretty quick youll get nice double tap ability. Ok maybe not pretty quick but it will happen

Boolit Master
    I have an series 80 officers model and they are known for shooting low , they make rear sights that fit the factory dovetails that will raise the point of aim.
    I have never tried any , I simply compensate on the sight picture when shooting it but it may be something to look into.
    If you are unwilling to defend even your own lives, then you are like mice trying to 'negotiate' with owls. You regard their ways as 'wrong', they regard you as dinner. John Farnam

What kind of hold-over are you using? 6? 12?
    Last edited by Jupiter7; 07-20-2013 at 01:17 AM. Reason: Auto correct...ugh

If your groups are consistent, I'd simply adjust aim and go with it. If it's slinging lead all over the place, then that's a different story.

-Lars
    www.shop.******brass.com
    Offering reloaders quality once fired brass at reasonable prices.

Boolit Mold
    it shoots great other wise good groups with 230 gr boolits and 4.3 gr titegroup guess I will load some more and just practice with it till I get better with it I don't shoot autos a lot so it most likely is just me

Boolit Grand Master

Do the sandbagged rest thing, and dummy round test.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Perma-Banned

If your groups are good , just low you could simply get a lower front sight which will bring your shots up.