RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyInline FabricationReloading Everything
RepackboxLoad DataLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners

Thread: Lyman 4500 trouble! Maybe its just me I hope?

Boolit Buddy

Lyman 4500 trouble! Maybe its just me I hope?

So I bought a Lyman 4500 with heater for my new mold bought new so when I got it I had two problems one no handle and two no o-ring give a call to Lyman and they send me the parts. So I picked up the parts today happy as can be Take it down and set up the missing parts but I noticed one problem the O-ring will not screw on with without having to use pliers. Now I have taken the screw out and it is not bent at all there is nothing in the tube. I did notice this with the top cap also when I first got it but thought maybe the O-ring helped to fix it but it did not! I hope that this a my screw up I did something wrong as this being my first lube sizer don't know but if anyone can help please do. Sucks to buy something new and not have all the parts just makes you pissed to get the parts and find it still does not work! I was sent a new screw by Lyman but it still has the same problem it looks to me as if when the hole was being drilled it was not drilled right.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Nise View Post
    hmmm, 1: you probably already noticed the reverse threads 2: to get mine started I have to keep some downward pressure on it 3: I put a bit of lube on the o-rings 3: if or when you get it working don't reef on it too hard, I broke the rod out of mine, (downsized the wrench I was using now).
    I have to bend the screw to get the ring in then I can only screw it down so far this is without lube in it.

Boolit Master

Not sure why you would have to bend the screw. It should align with no problems. I would lube the orings with a light grease and maybe polish the entrance into the reservoir. Otherwise they will bite on the edge of the reservoir opening.
    I think you have a combination of two issues. 1, you shouldn't have to exert any force to get the screw centered into the reservoir opening. 2, without a light grease or other lube on the orings I have found it difficult to get the plunger to start.
    Brad

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by BK7saum View Post
    Not sure why you would have to bend the screw. It should align with no problems. I would lube the orings with a light grease and maybe polish the entrance into the reservoir. Otherwise they will bite on the edge of the reservoir opening.
    I think you have a combination of two issues. 1, you shouldn't have to exert any force to get the screw centered into the reservoir opening. 2, without a light grease or other lube on the orings I have found it difficult to get the plunger to start.
    Brad
    The photos above are of me not applying any force! You can see that this does not line up the o-ring is way off! That is do to this lube sizer not being drilled right it is a product defect! Nothing more nothing less! I have been given two screws by the company and they both did the same thing! Lyman keeps sending me the same items yet it is not fixed! This 4500 is defective! With the ring being off as much as it is there is no question! Also adding that I have been given two new screws and other parts!

Simple solution. Send the whole works back to Lyman.
    R.M.

The tree of liberty must be watered periodically with the blood of tyrants and patriots alike..........Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Buddy
    Looking at the second photo, it appears the threaded hole in the piston is at an angle, which will cause it to bind in the reservoir.

Send it back to Lyman

You will have to ship on your dime.

But Lyman seems good about fixing things. They usually replace any defective parts (including frames) reusing as many of your original parts as possible.

Boolit Master
    I'm just curious and maybe the 4500 is different from my 450 but the threaded rod in mine just kind'a flops around in there when it's low/out of lube or when using a very soft lube. I can put a finger on the rod and move it anywhere I need to in order to center it up in the resivoir. (sp.??) It doesn't move up/down but side to side it does. Maybe mine is defective? If there's any lube in there could it be holding the rod off-center and would warming up the lube allow you to move the rod to center so the piston can be installed. Audie....the puzzled Oldfart..

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oldfart1956 View Post
    I'm just curious and maybe the 4500 is different from my 450 but the threaded rod in mine just kind'a flops around in there when it's low/out of lube or when using a very soft lube. I can put a finger on the rod and move it anywhere I need to in order to center it up in the resivoir.
    That's the same way the 450 I had was, so was LAM I I had after that. I poured melted lube into them both and had to kinda/sorta center the screw by hand. Getting the piston in was just a matter of pushing with a finger while winding the screw.

I makes no sense that three rods were all defective. Have you even tried just pushing the piston sideways while screwing it into the bore?
    Literacy should not be considered optional in computer based communication.

the rod isnt captive in bearings and it's take two or more such bearings to keep the rod centered , once the piston is started it in essences helps keep the rod straight and centered ( as pointed out by audie above on the fact that his flops a bit when the reservoir is almost out of lube , the casting keeps the bottom centered , the piston keeps the middle centered and the cap keeps the top of the rod centered ( in essence 3 "bearing type" races ) loose ( or loosen ) any of the above and one tends to lose support in the area of the missing one
    vaseline will lube the o-rings just fine ( and yes they should be lubed with something - light oil if nothing else ) and one should center it by hand as they start it once started past where the cap will pop on place it on top and crank down as needed
    Je suis Charlie

" To sit in judgment of those things which you perceive to be wrong or imperfect is to be one more person who is part of judgment, evil or imperfection."
    Wayne Dyer
    if it was easy would it be as worthy ? or as long of lasting impression ? the hardest of lessons are the best of teachers [shrugz]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLzFhOslZPM