WidenersLoad DataLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Repackbox
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How has Cast Boolits affected your hobby?

How has Cast Boolits affected your hobby?

Since I've been a member here there have been times when I read a thread and discover that I'm terribly short in this part or that part of shooting or casting. Then I have to dig out the wallet and try to play catch up.

Some things that come to mind are 32 Winchester Special and how easy they are for shooting cast and 38 Special K frames and how much fun they are. I never would've bought these if not for reading something interesting about them here on the board. I'd hate to be with out them now. The Wilgen flash light is still the best light we have in the house too.

I'm sure it will happen again. BPCR? Hollow pointing? Big bore hand gun?
    Oh great, another thread that makes me spend money.

Boolit Master
    CB here has made me feel like I belong to a big family that spans across the entire globe. From starting here when I was 18 till now I have always been treated with decency and respect, through all my questions and help I have been given, regardless of how much older and more experienced the folks here are. They have lead me into new projects and trying loads and ideas I never would have came up with on my own. I have doubtless spent money because of here, but I also have been saved much time, money and frustration from help I have received. I really cannot say all of the things this site has added to my enjoyment of this grand hobby we all share, but there is a reason it is the first thing I check in the morning and the last I check at night like now that I just finished working.
    I wish I could have a BBQ and serve every one of the folks here a home raised angus steak for everything they have given me!
    Raisin' Black Angus cows, outta gas, outta money, outta tags, low on boolits, but full 'a hope on the Rocky Mountain Eastern Slope!
    Why does a man with a 7mag never panic buy? Because a man with a 7mag has no need to panic!

"If you ain't shootin', you should be reloadin' if you ain't reloadin' you should be movin', if you ain't movin', somebody's gonna come by and cut your head off and put it on a stick!" Words to fight by, from Clint Smith

Boolit Man
    I started collecting WWII bolt action guns about 7 years ago. This site has made it possible to actually shoot those rifles and bring my hobby of collecting to a new level. A true feeling of community is what makes this site and it's members such a great resource. Thanks for all the help in the past and future.
    Dan Dabson
    Dover, DE
    http://www.facebook.com/dabsonshooting

Stained Glass pieces made by my wife
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/connysstainedglass

ADMIN

All you ****'s are enablers.
    CB has put a huge hole in my wallet.

But really. CB has really made it easier to reload then before. If I have a question, I go to the chat room and normally someone has a answer. If I am working up a load, I can search for it.

Boolit Grand Master
    Affected it? It IS my hobby! And totally consuming, I might add. Near 'bout every thought I process or decision I make orbits the trunk of this tree and all the limbs and branches.

God bless Janet, she's so understanding.

Boolit Buddy
    I agree with HATCH, my wallet is a lot lighter. But I am happier. Years ago I was doing different hobbies, always liked trying out new things. But now my main hobby, is shooting and casting. Before I could drive I thought it was cool that you could cast your own bullets (intentional misspelling). I decided that the one hobby that I have done for most of my life would be the one I would focus on and do, and couldn't be happier. Now I have molds that i love to cast with, I am casting better, less frustration at the pot (now if a boolit doesn't fall out I investigate, before I just kept tapping until if turned loose).

I have molds from MiHec, Night Owl, and others. Lube recipe that I really like, molds that the boolits just fall out, a favorite book I wouldn't even known about (Above Reproach), nightmares from Jim's new hunting duds, and some new friends.

Boolit Grand Master
    It has raised my expectations. It taught me to think, to observe, to deduce a solution.

It taught me to really understand what a lube does. To understand that the moment of ignition is the most important time in the life of a bullet. To pay attention to the little things and what they are telling me.

It helped me find others with a similar interest and mindset. It taught me to ignore the naysayers, to filter out the noise from the trolls.

It taught me to find a way to make things work. To never give up.

In short, the site dent teach me much about casting or shooting directly, it did better than that. I learned how to teach myself all those things.

This site at first gave me the the information and confidence to cast and start reloading which made it reasonable to shoot again. Sometimes I tend to overthink things and stall on projects. As time went by I learned more and realized that the collective knowledge on this site is amazing! Most members on this site are very willing to give out information and suggest alternate ways that are better. I'm on a very tight budget and this is the kind of information that saves me enough money so I can actually shoot and enjoy what I like to do! I love reading the "How To Articles", the debates good and bad. The information I have gotten here even on related topics has helped me tremendously! All in all this place is a big online Family complete with the Crazy uncle and the Aunt no one wants to talk about!!
    45 ACP because shooting more than once is just silly!!

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

Boolit Buddy
    I've learned quite a bit here, and probably done more because of it. It's an interesting hobby, but saves (maybe) me quite a bit of money on ammo. My spending on pots, molds and ladels probably makes up for it though.

Boolit Master
    A great place with like minded folks, this forum is a network of individuals who have their own unique footprint. These footprints have created a place for individuals, including myself, to learn, communicate, assist or help and to give to one another. That is what CB as done for me and my hobby.

Boolit Master

The know how and knowledge I've gained here and the good people I've dealt with, the good deals I've come across. This site as made my passion much more enjoyable. I would love to put a hunting trip togehter with some of the friends ive made here.

I started shooting factory, then jacketed, then commercial cast, now just my cast. Without CB I'd still be shooting jacketed and paying through the nose for it.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 429421Cowboy View Post
    CB here has made me feel like I belong to a big family that spans across the entire globe. From starting here when I was 18 till now I have always been treated with decency and respect, through all my questions and help I have been given, regardless of how much older and more experienced the folks here are. They have lead me into new projects and trying loads and ideas I never would have came up with on my own. I have doubtless spent money because of here, but I also have been saved much time, money and frustration from help I have received. I really cannot say all of the things this site has added to my enjoyment of this grand hobby we all share, but there is a reason it is the first thing I check in the morning and the last I check at night like now that I just finished working.
    I wish I could have a BBQ and serve every one of the folks here a home raised angus steak for everything they have given me!
    You should think about a road trip to NCBS!

Boolit Buddy
    I'm still a noob, but I actually enjoy manufacturing ammo (Legal disclaimer: For myself only!) more than I do shooting. So this is a natural place to come to learn new things. I now just bought an on sale HF powder coating machine to play with once I get some time. (Of course the small compressor I wanted to use with it lost the pressure switch in the last two years of disuse, so like everything else I'll have to fix that first!) Love this "cutting edge" hobby stuff...

But I enjoy reloading and casting a lot and if not for this board, I would not cast and not had the boolits or bullets to shoot in the last couple of months. Thanks to the group. Love it.

I check in every day..a visit here helps keep me calm. and I learn something new every time I do. MOSTLY good people. good ideas.
    "The good sense of the people will always be found to be the best army.They may be led astray for a moment,but will soon correct themselves" - Thomas Jefferson

I wasn't Born in the south but I got there as soon as I could.
    I like this site. MOSTLY good people. good ideas.

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't!!
    "Either this man is dead or my watch has stopped." — Groucho Marx

"We are born naked, wet, and hungry. Then things get worse"

Boolit Buddy

It's helped my hobby grow. It's provided a lot of very useful information allowing me to make more informed decisions.
    It's also just a great group of folks, and I enjoy reading the posts.

Boolit Master

As a reloader with 35 years experience I thought I had a lot of knowledge about my hobby. Then I came here and found out how much there was to learn! And while I was here, I got bit by the casting bug and gained a new hobby. I have learned more than I ever imagined was possible, made new friends, bought a LOT of new equipment, and feel like I am part of the best board on the net! I have been on other boards that are not nearly as knowledgeable, friendly, or diverse as Cast Boolits. I feel like this board is home now.
    "with liberty and justice for all"...must be 18 or older, not available in all states, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply. D. Stanhope

"The remedy for evil men is not the abrogation of the rights of law abiding citizens. The remedy for evil men is the gallows." Thomas Jefferson

"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them." George Mason Co-author of the Second Ammemdment

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Prolly the most important thing that was driven home absolutely by cast boolits was the importance of gas leaks during the cartridge firing stage. Hands down, nothing else matters in the arena of INTERNAL ballistics. ... felix
    felix

Boolit Grand Master

Learned a whole lot, can now pretty much expect to succeed pretty quickly in
    most projects. Probably spend too much time here, but feel like I want to give
    back, since I have learned so much.

Still a lot to learn.

Also, made some friends here. I have visited one member (a Brit that was
    living in France) a couple of times, and helped people across the globe get
    some stuff that is hard to find. Lots of fun, and a nice place with 99.9%
    good folks. Also got some molds from a guy in Serbia, where I had to
    look at the map to find it, and he makes just wonderful tools, and I sure
    would have never found him without this site. Got advice on suppressors
    from a guy in New Zealand, helped with a 1911 in France, just a lot of
    fun and around the whole world.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

I had cast a couple hundred RCBS 255s before I found CB and was very wet behind the ears. I still have much to learn too. I really value the pointers on safety in the process of casting and having the right gear.

The wealth goes beyond the shooting sports, I don't think there is a question that can't be answered here. I even got help in the Chapel and every day I learn there is more and more to be thankful for.

The folks here are top notch with all the advice and experience and the owners and mods deserve an "atta boy" too!
    Oh great, another thread that makes me spend money.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast