RepackboxRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyWideners
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionLoad DataInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading

Thread: alternate type conical question

alternate type conical question

I will soon have in my possession a 3rd model Dragoon and I was thinking about shooting conicals in it and also in my '58 Remi. My question is, I already cast for .45ACP and 45Colt. Is it possible to use one of those boolets in my BP revolvers? For 45ACP I'm using LEE's 230grn RN in the TL design sized to .452". It looks like it might be just the right dia' to push into the cylinder chambers without too much effort. Is 230grns too heavy of a boolet to use in a BP revolver?

Has anyone ever tired this before or an I asking for trouble here? I don't like things exploding while I'm holding them in my hand! That's why I'm asking before doing.
    Take care, Moptop

Boolit Master

The lube groove is a little small. Better a mold with one groove. It is larger. I use balls to .454, and cast bullets to .452, or .451. Depends on how hard the casting is. I rarely use a lube wad either on the outside, or inside.

The problem with cartridge bullets in a C&B is getting the bullet EXACTLY over the chamber mouth. The LEE 200gr conical for 44cal C&Bs has smaller diameter lower and middle drive bands so the bullet drops into the chamber and stops at either the first or second driving band which centers it well. I think the lower band is .446, next is .450 and top is .454. A flat based bullet is more likely to get sheared off center or have the edge of the base dinged up and affect accuracy. If you are talking CAS/SASS shoots then it is not that big of a deal but an accuracy loss would show on paper targets. The LEE conical is a cinch to load & ram whereas the FB 45ACP bullets are gonna take some fiddling each time.
    Hellgate in Orygun
    With 16+revolvers, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of cap&ball.
    If you do not subscribe to a newspaper you are uninformed. If you do subscribe to a newspaper you are misinformed. Mark Twain
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

the flat base 230 grain bullets do work, but, it takes a bit to shove them down straight. I have a "Tower of Power" cylinder loader that I used to load my cylinders with, and it still wasn't that easy.. wasn't really difficult either, but the trick is to keep them straight going in..
    I do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same

Hellgste hit it right, I used to cast 230 roundnose from pure lead for my 1858 (not wheel weights, they are too hard) but the flat base sucked on loading.

Later I started using 200gr swc h&g 68style from lee, it had a beveled vase and was easier to center in the chamber.

Both came out of the molds at .452

But the balls still loaded easiest, I saved the conicals for hunting..
    I make 2 predictions:
    On the date when U.S. troops are issued an Energy Pulse Weapon.
    1. The U.S. soldier will have on his person a version of the Colt 1911.
    2. He will be aiming the new weapon at someone carrying an AK.

These are the RCBS 45-225 molded from soft lead.

They're sized to slip into the chambers with the front ring left big to shear off when pressed in.

Customizing boolits to fit individual revolvers is the best way I've found to go about it.

By the way, if you can get your hands on a Lyman 452066 it sometimes works as-cast without bothering with any sizing at all. That big bevel base is just the cats meow.

Boolit Master
    Good Cheer: You had the rings custom sized to work like a cap n ball conical?

Didn't alter the mold, just sizing the bottom and middle rings into a Lyman lubrisizer and leaving the top ring big.