WidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
RepackboxInline FabricationReloading EverythingLee Precision
Load Data Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: gloves and other PPE for gun cleaning

Boolit Buddy

gloves and other PPE for gun cleaning

How may of you really use the proper PPE when cleaning you guns?

goggles
    gloves
    respirator
    etc

I just got a pair of Silver Shield gloves to use while working with solvents and the skin on my hands is much healthier. I was using nitrile, but while they are great against most automotive chemicals, they are pretty pathetic against some gun cleaners.
    "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you can't always be sure of their authenticity.”
    - Abraham Lincoln

Boolit Grand Master

You are kidding, right?

Boolit Master
    Many of the current gun cleaning solvents etc are water based, or vegetable based. They have been removing the petroleum products and getting more "eco-friendly" for years. Many of the stuff used now causes less harm to people than before. But,, there are still some types that haven't changed or can be an irritant to the skin. Everybody reacts differently to different chemicals. Some of us do not have issues, while other folks do.
    This is America where we still have a few freedoms to choose to use gloves or not when cleaning our guns.
    Those with problems can choose to use gloves, while those who do not, can still use their hands sans gloves.
    Eyewear is always a good idea no matter what.
    The use of a respirator falls under the same thoughts as the use of gloves. Depends upon the solvents.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by KCSO View Post
    You are kidding, right?
    not really, what part are you referring to?
    "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you can't always be sure of their authenticity.”
    - Abraham Lincoln

Boolit Master
    I don't think he's
    I hope that is a carbon filter resp you are using gofastman.
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. -- H.L. Mencken

The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naïve and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who likes his country more than the rest of us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen turning to crime; he is a good citizen driven to despair.― H.L. Mencken

Who determined what is "PPE"?...Same people that told me I'd go blind if I did what all little boys do?...same folks that told us if we ran with a pencil we'd put our eyes out?...Same folks that brought us air bags that often don't work...Motorcycle helmets that restrict vision? Some of us dont want to be told what PPE to use so we don't.

Boolit Buddy
    goggles
    gloves
    respirator
    etc
    Im not saying alwyas wear the stuff, I'm just giving examples
    - Abraham Lincoln

Boolit Buddy
    Been cleaning guns since 1966 without protective gear with no ill effects to date. Don't see any reason to start now.
    I could almost understand if a person has an alergy to a particular solvent or oil but there are way too many options of cleaning products to justify going that route.
    If you say you can't, you probably won't.

Boolit Master
    Have to say I have never bothered with anything, other than cleaning up good after I am done.

Only solvent that really worries me is MEK. and Acetone, if using lots of it.
    Paul

Boolit Grand Master

I started cleaning guns about 55 years ago and no one had rubber gloves. My grandfather was a mechanic and had his hands in solvent for over 60 years and thought it kept him from getting stiff joints. I've never even though about gloves and mask and such for gun cleaning. But then agan parts solven never bother me at all. I will admit that now days gun cleaing isn't what it use to be, 1 hour in the ultrasonic tanks and a switch to 1 hour in the recirculating oil bath and done other than copper removal in some guns.

Boolit Buddy
    I try to use safety glasses and almost always use nitrile gloves.

Boolit Grand Master

Have never worn any kind of gloves when cleaning guns. At 74, don't think I am about to change habits!
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Boolit Buddy
    I admit for years I never used gloves and seldom so much as a dust mask after leaving a shop that used "Brite Boy" wheels on grinders for deburring I realized the half a** case of sniffles I always had went away now for mine I always kept the side shield on and tied a cotton glove over the outlet others though used no guards and I swear they weren't deburring but were machining with theirs almost always had my hands in oil due to using it as coolant and in a barfeeder. Now I find my fingertips are very sensitive to solvents and will just start peeling if I look at them wrong.
    I'm not saying everyone should glove up but I am saying the things you do when your young have a way of catching up. Kind of like how manly it was blowing off a .357 without ear protection or riding on the right side of some guy with unbaffled turn out pipes and wondering why my ears costantly ring or why I say UH? a lot to certain voice pitches.
    Got any info on the Silver Shield gloves.

Boolit Buddy

I usually wear safety glasses, but that is also through habbit because we had to wear them at work, so I kind of got used to them, especially when buffing something or grinding. About the only time I wear gloves is when I am using brake or parts cleaner. Especially if I am using brownell's parts degreaser.
    One of the greatist delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation.- Thomas Reed (1886)
    "The Democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give it to those who would not."-Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Rack View Post
    Got any info on the Silver Shield gloves.
    they are super chemical resistant but not that strong mechanically. wear a pair of nitrile or latex gloves over them to protect them from punctures and other damage.
    http://www.northernsafety.com/Produc...sistant-Gloves

Quote Originally Posted by pmeisel View Post
    Have to say I have never bothered with anything, other than cleaning up good after I am done.

Only solvent that really worries me is MEK. and Acetone, if using lots of it.
    I use an MEK and xylene mix for some gun cleaning tasks, it works damn well!
    - Abraham Lincoln

Boolit Master

I'm 71 and I have never used protective gear for cleaning guns, never had any problems yet.
    Ed Barrett
    AKA; elbStJoeMO
    If vegans love animal so much, why do they eat all their food?

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by KCSO View Post
    You are kidding, right?
    I agree entirely. I don't eat or drink the solvent but otherwise, I just use common sense.

Moderator Emeritus

I find the amount of solvent used is such a small amount I ignore it.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Buddy

I use simple green for 90% or better of my cleaning and Brake kleen for the other 10% prolly should wear gloves but after watching the news since the 70's think I'll skip the ppe.

I wear gloves just because I have small kids around. Just a preventative measure in case I have to go into "daddy mode". Just take the gloves off and handle what needs handling.
    "A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph, or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." - Aldo Leopold

Live generously.