The LAST State to allow Conceal Carry -The new 5O

RCBS or Lyman Sizing dies

RCBS or Lyman Sizing dies

RCBS or Lyman

Sizing dies for a Lyman 450

Which one is the best or does it even make a difference

Thanks
    LOYALTY ABOVE ALL ELSE, EXCEPT HONOR

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Boolit Master

Doesn't make any difference I use both.
    Calamity Jake

NRA Life Member
    SASS 15704
    Shoot straight, keepem in the ten ring.

Boolit Grand Master
    The last couple of times I have bought new dies the Lyman dies have cost less. I usually buy from Midsouth.

Robert

Boolit Buddy
    You may have a pretty good wait no matter which you order. I back ordered a Lyman .225 on June 6 from Mid-south still on back order.

Boolit Master
    Lyman direct seems to work pretty good for me if all I need is Lyman product.

I here the Lyman has a concaved end on rod that boolit sit on before sizing. This helps seal boolit better if it has a raised spure cut on base of boolit. The RCBS is ground flat and will allow lube to enter under boolit and stem if boolit depth is not set correctly.

Boolit Bub
    I have both (both OK) but find the Lyman better because of the concave base. I just ordered RCBS because Lyman was back ordered to Sep 7. Otherwise I would have gotten Lyman.

Boolit Master

I use a Lyman 450 and 45 and all my dies are they Lyman brand. Not a bust on RCBS at all, just that I've heard conflicting info concerning the fit of RCBS in my sizers so it's just as easy for me to stick with Lyman.

Boolit Master

It makes no difference to me. If I am haunting the gunshows or the junk...ahem...accessory box at a gunshop I'll take either if I need/want them.

The few I have, I've noticed the RCBS have a much bigger funnel/taper at the top end.
    Lyman does have a taper at the top, just not as much.....
    Does that make a difference concentricity wise.... I don't know...???
    I haven't had a problem with either, but I'm still new at this.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Which one is the best or does it even make a difference
    DCP ... Neither!
    Save your money and buy the Lee Expander Die and proper plug size from Track of the Wolf ... http://www.trackofthewolf.com/list/Item.aspx/1221/1 & http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Catego.../LEE-DIE-45-EX
    At 28 bucks for either the RCBS & Lyman M die, I am retired and would have to get a job to buy a separate die for each caliber I reload ... from 25-20 up to 50-70 and metrics. Plus if one needs a specific expander for a caliber with a larger/smaller base diameter - just put the plug in the lathe and cut it to the proper size @ $3.00 a plug for 0.001 -0.002 proper neck tension
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master
    John Boy:

The original poster is asking about lube/sizer dies, specifically RCBS vs. Lyman. I prefer the RCBS but like the Lyman concave top of the push rod. I have enough of the different dies in some calibers that I have taken out the push rods out of the Lymans and put them in my RCBS dies. Best of both worlds if you will.

Boolit Master

The LAST State to allow Conceal Carry -The new 5O
    Quote Originally Posted by John Boy View Post
    DCP ... Neither!
    Save your money and buy the Lee Expander Die and proper plug size from Track of the Wolf ... http://www.trackofthewolf.com/list/Item.aspx/1221/1 & http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Catego.../LEE-DIE-45-EX
    At 28 bucks for either the RCBS & Lyman M die, I am retired and would have to get a job to buy a separate die for each caliber I reload ... from 25-20 up to 50-70 and metrics. Plus if one needs a specific expander for a caliber with a larger/smaller base diameter - just put the plug in the lathe and cut it to the proper size @ $3.00 a plug for 0.001 -0.002 proper neck tension
    It wasn't the ?. I never new of this. You know you may learn something new every day on Cast Boolits
    LOYALTY ABOVE ALL ELSE, EXCEPT HONOR

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

+ 1 for the lyman push rod IMHO
    Slow Elk 45/70

Praise the Lord & Pass the Ammo

I've been away from my reloading and casting equipment for 5 years (overseas assignment) and unpacking all my "stuff" has been like Christmas. My brother and I went to an estate sale just before I left, and I had forgotten everything I bought. As an example, I have 7500+ rounds of ammo, 37 pounds of powder, 20000 primers of various sizes, and more. Amongst the goodies lie my RCBS lubri-sizer and two Lyman 450 sizers. So my question is two- fold: Shall I set up all three lubri-sizers so I don't need to change out dies, or sell one or both 450's? Next, since supplies have dried up in the past 5 years, where are some supply points for boolit casting equipment? I'm in the NW.
    An Honest Man Keeps His Horse Saddled
    http://www.cardinalguns.com
    http://www.riflehunter.net

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 3584ELK View Post
    I've been away from my reloading and casting equipment for 5 years (overseas assignment) and unpacking all my "stuff" has been like Christmas. My brother and I went to an estate sale just before I left, and I had forgotten everything I bought. As an example, I have 7500+ rounds of ammo, 37 pounds of powder, 20000 primers of various sizes, and more. Amongst the goodies lie my RCBS lubri-sizer and two Lyman 450 sizers. So my question is two- fold: Shall I set up all three lubri-sizers so I don't need to change out dies, or sell one or both 450's? Next, since supplies have dried up in the past 5 years, where are some supply points for boolit casting equipment? I'm in the NW.
    I wouldn't sell anything until you determine exactly what you want to do. If I had three sizers I would probably store one and then mount the other two; one for warm weather lube or rifle lube and the other for cold weather lube or lower pressure rounds. There are a few good members here who make and sell lube and at a good price. White Label Lube or Lars, randyrat, and Bullshop all make quality boolit lube. Right now there is a thread in the lube section regards to the making an "Extreme" lube and those involved in the thread have gone a long way, put together many different lubes with much thought but have not come up with the perfect lube for the ambient temperature swings. I'm actually trying a new one myself that is looking pretty good just need to test it in the higher pressure rifle while its hot and then when it's winter try the lube out in the cold. I had a pretty good all purpose lube, but it faltered just a bit at the extremes of above 95 degrees and below 25 degrees. Then I found a great lube for the cooler temps (80ish degrees and under) and the cold but it fell on it's face this summer in the 90 + degree heat.

Coming back to all of what you are unpacking would definitely feel like Christmas............ Right now with all the frenzy it's been difficult to find reloading anything and the bigger online dealers are starting to get things back in stock. MidwayUSA, MidSouthShooters, Natchez, Grafs and Son, & Kempf Gun Shop are some that come to mind

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 3584ELK View Post
    Amongst the goodies lie my RCBS lubri-sizer and two Lyman 450 sizers. So my question is two- fold: Shall I set up all three lubri-sizers so I don't need to change out dies, or sell one or both 450's?
    I would keep them and set each up for a different lube. It's a lot easier to change sizing dies than it is to change lubes. If you don't have enough space on your bench for all three, you can drill one set of holes and swap them out as neded because the mounting hole spacing is the same for both RCBS and Lyman.
    Some times it's the pot,
    Some times it's the pan,
    It might even be the skillet,
    But, most of the time, it's the cook.

Now see, that is why I come here...always something to learn. I had never heard about lubes for various temps. Being that I live in the NW now, I might not have to worry about it much. You gents are awesome!
    An Honest Man Keeps His Horse Saddled
    http://www.cardinalguns.com
    http://www.riflehunter.net