Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyWidenersRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Load Data RotoMetals2

Thread: load for 9mm swc 140gn?

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.

load for 9mm swc 140gn?

I am looking for a load using a 140g cast SWC boolit (38cal) swaged down to 9mm. All I can find is 9mm 147g in Lyman and others.

There are so few 9mm mold styles avaiable, I want something different.

Powders I have are Clays, Unique, 231, HP38, Am Select, E3. Would appreciate any info you guys have used on the above powders and that boolit weight.

Thanks!

bangerjim

I did several searches lookin for the same info awhile back. I didn't find anything. I was concerned about the short seating that is required do to the swc design. Someone with quickload could probly get a start charge figured out if the oal for feeding dummy rounds was provided to them. I would be interested aswell.

Unique would be about the only powder slow enough to use safely, maybe 231/hp38. Assuming your 140g SWC is the Lee 358-140-SWC and that its length is .634" and you are seating to 1.135" (a seating depth of 0.253"), 4.1g Unique will fill the case to where the seated bullet touches the powder. 26 kspi, 992fps out of a 4.25" barrel. That is only a theoretical run, but should give you about 25% margin in pressure so long as you don't seat any deeper. If you do, you must drop the powder charge which may drop the velocity down to the point of failure to cycle the action (just one of the problems of heavy bullets in small cases).3.6g of W231 would only get you 930 fps with the same peak pressure of 26kpsi.

You could use the 147g data. Your pressures and mv's will be lower, but that's a deviation on the safe side so as long as you are OK with the performance, you are safe.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    I thought I could use the 147 data safely. There are so many concerns about too high/too low pressure, non-cycle, etc, I have always been rather hesitant to use heavier slug data on slightly lighter boolits.

And 9mm cases are sooooooo small!

Thanks!

bangerjim

Boolit Buddy
    I've used that bullet sized to 0.357 in the 9 with 3.9 gr of Unique. I seat to just over the crimp groove. Not all my 9's will feed this bullet, but its reliable in a 1911 i have. Don't know what the velocity is, but its fairly soft shooting and accurate.