WidenersTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Load DataRepackboxSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did I do Right

Boolit Master at heavens range

Did I do Right

Yesterday I put down my 5 lb. poodle , was 15 years old, lost hearing, both eyes gone and had to clean one out all the time, She died in my arms at the vet. Today we went out to the monks and got a nice wooden box for her ashes and for ourselves also. Did I do right putting her down, Just cant stop crying. Thanks for reading, Joe

Boolit Master
    Having to put a much loved pet down is never easy. It sounds like you did the right thing to me, though. Once their eyesight goes, it's time - especially if the dog was already deaf. Still, it's heart-wrenching. Just concentrate on the fact that the dog is no longer in discomfort or 'lost', wondering why he can't hear or see any more.
    Last edited by nicholst55; 07-15-2013 at 11:15 AM.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Master
    You did it right Joe. To keep her around would have been selfish. It is the final act of love and the fact that you can't hold the tears back is proof that she could not have been loved more. She was so very lucky to have had you. You won't forget her, but the pain will become tolerable.

Getting choked up right now thinking about Sammy. My white Malamute/Arctic Wolf that I had to say goodbye to 6-1/2 years ago.

You did it right.

smokeywolf
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Master

You did the right thing, which was also the harder, non-selfish thing. I've had to do it too. I'm sorry for your loss. There really are no words right now.

Be comforted that you made the merciful choice.

Been exactly where you were when you wrote that. I cried like a baby... My english cocker was 16, mostly blind, deaf ,lame and pooping blood. It was still the hardest thing I have ever done in my life.

You did it right by being there holding her to say good-bye. Dogs do tear our hearts when they have to leave. I've been there too many times myself, and know I'll be there again. I hate to think of it, but I just can't be without dogs.

Of course you did Joe. We did the same with Griffin the cat about 4 months ago. It is never easy but it's the price of unconditional love. Take care of yourself.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Boolit Master
    Joe, this isn't easy for me to post, but some years ago we had to do the same with our cairn terrier Holly. Called our two daughters in New Orleans to come home and say goodbye. I had to leave as I couldn't watch. Told her I loved her and left. You did the right thing. Frank

Boolit Master

Where Pennsylvania, Delaware, and Maryland join.
    You did what had to be done. It's tough to do.
    This will help you cry.

RAINBOW BRIDGE

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
    There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
    There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.
    All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
    The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.
    They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance.
    His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.
    You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross the Rainbow Bridge...together...

Author unknown...
    Blacksmith

S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us!

Perma-Banned

Joe, this is always tough. I know how you feel at what point do you decide the quality of life versus the suffering of the family member whether it is an animal or person. Once you have some time I am sure you will realize it was the right thing.

Good Luck John

Boolit Master
    Sorry to hear that. Yes Joe, you did the right thing. Time will help... although never completely. We just outlive them and not a thing can change it. Lost my last one 11 years ago. I still look at their pictures and feel sad yet try to remember all the good. Nothing can take those memories.
    Trust but verify the honeyguide

You did good Joe. Isn't easy to do but remember the good times.
    I'm just the welder, go ask him>

Boolit Master

You did right! Sorry for your loss.
    Every shot you get in life counts

Boolit Buddy
    The day you bring that furry friend home you know that the day is coming that you will
    do the "right" thing. The hard thing.

Dave C.
    Distinguished, Master,2600 club, President 100 badge holder.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by smokemjoe View Post
    Yesterday I put down my 5 lb. poodle , was 15 years old, lost hearing, both eyes gone and had to clean one out all the time, She died in my arms at the vet. Today we went out to the monks and got a nice wooden box for her ashes and for ourselves also. Did I do right putting her down, Just cant stop crying. Thanks for reading, Joe
    Unequivocaly, yes. My condolences, Sir.

Moderator Emeritus

You did right Joe. It's never easy. I still have a tough time when I think of the last one we had to put down.
    "The worst wheel of the cart makes the most noise." - Benjamin Franklin

"To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." - Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master
    Others have said it all! You did right! Sorry for your loss.
    R.D.M.

Quote Originally Posted by smokemjoe View Post
    Did I do right putting her down, Just cant stop crying. Thanks for reading, Joe
    Joe, real men do the hard things in life. It's a man's job to take the lead, provide safety, security and comfort for all of the loved ones in our lives. The fact that you put your dog down when she needed it, speaks volumes of your character and strength. With all of the challenges you've taken on, this last one is just another day on the job.

Rest well friend with a clear heart.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Master

you did the right thing sorry for your loss
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

For the 100th person to say--- you did it right. I know how you feel. Lost my dog who I grew up with not too long ago. Worst feeling in the world. Hope I never have to face it again. But it's the cycle of life and your friend is now in a better place--- remember that. You'll get through this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast