WidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Load Data Inline Fabrication
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: What"s the worst thing you ever ate ?

Boolit Master
    Most unusual with Fish and chips,Known it with other foods but F&C are usualy top quality.

Boolit Master
    I got stranded in Colby, KS with transmission problem, went to local cafe and ordered sausage, biscuits and gravy. The gravy was cooked with nutmeg. NASTY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Boolit Master

Balut while I was in the Phillipines. There were many beers involved. If you don't know what it is, do yourself a favor and don't look it up.

Boolit Master
    Sauerkraut. At my wife's family reunions they'd all eat sauerkraut for dinner, I was happy with my peanut butter and jelly sandwich and a cold glass of milk out on the deck. Wouldn't come back in until they'd opened the windows and aired the place out. The only one who agreed with me was my brother-in-law, but choking it down was easier than listening to my wife's sister later.

Moderator Emeritus

Sauerkraut is good stuff!! I take ribs tips from BBQ's and slow simmer them in the kraut. Serve over mashed potatoes.

Boolit Master

Buried back in the threads is one titled "Does anyone else make sauerkraut?" by yours truly. Something my parents did and I picked up on. Homemade sauerkraut is awesome. Last few days for lunch I have had "fake" rueben sandwiches. Thin slices of venison loin on pumpernickel, some sauerkraut, American cheese and some mustard sauce. Sauerkraut and corn beef, sauerkraut and sausage, sauerkraut by itself, sauerkraut hot dogs (a weekly delight!), the list goes on and on. I love cabbage, any form or fashion. Like a lot of other things mentioned on this thread, just according to one's taste.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Boolit Master
    Sauer Kraut. Chitlins.

(Edited for language rule violation by Staff)
    Last edited by Mooseman; 07-27-2013 at 05:09 AM. Reason: language

Boolit Grand Master

Sauerkraut, really? I'm an extremely picky eater and sauerkraut is good stuff. There is so much nasty food out there. I wish I knew what the worse thing I ever ate was. I was at a Chinese DimSum restaurant and whatever it was was atrocious. Bad part is the DimSum selections all look very similar.

Boolit Mold
    Yes Sauerkraut, my family likes it but I cant stand the smell. Just about anything that's cabbage. Know fry it I'll eat it like egg roll. But on other hand swamp cabbage aka palm heart good eatin right there.

Tripe. The lining of a cows stomach. I used to help out at Grange clambakes and the old timers would insist it be included. Some would not even wait for it to be cooked. I tried it - once.

Boolit Grand Master

Tripe and baked clams....haven't had the "pleasure " of that combination . Course we don't have to many clam bakes in Louisiana and not really sure tripe would compliment the clams.

Gary

Moderator Emeritus

My dad on Saturday mornings up in Pa. would cut scrapple and fry it, have a toaster going making toast, and fry eggs at the same time, he'd make fried egg and scrapple sandwiches and eat them over the sink as fast as he could make them. He'd eat 3 or 4 at a time. I have never been able to stomach the stuff.

What's the difference between tripe and scrapple anyhow?
    Give us this day our daily lead.

Sic Semper Tyrannis.

If you don't want 1984 you're going to need some 1776.
    WWGWD

Boolit Master

Tripe! Every time some one makes it for me it all tastes the same! Pour tomato sauce over a kitchen sponge, thats what it tastes like! No Sir! I won't eat brains either! I hung out with some old world Italians..... They will eat Anything! I won't pick apart some animals head either. Ain't eatin eyeballs with a spoon! Nope, not ME. I'll pass, thank you, oh... and you can have my share. No... that's alright...i'm fasting today....and my teeth hurt!

Boolit Master

Now...MAC AND CHEESE...... Kraft Deluxe...Velveeta..... that is Soul food. Add a little Frank's Hot Sauce.....Mmmmm! You must be POXED if you dont like M&C.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Trey45 View Post
    My dad on Saturday mornings up in Pa. would cut scrapple and fry it, have a toaster going making toast, and fry eggs at the same time, he'd make fried egg and scrapple sandwiches and eat them over the sink as fast as he could make them. He'd eat 3 or 4 at a time. I have never been able to stomach the stuff.

What's the difference between tripe and scrapple anyhow?
    Tripe is cow's stomach. Scrapple is a hog's head cheese recipe with corn meal in it. Scrapple is from the Pennsylvania Dutch area--Delmarva region. I first had it there. I prefer hog's head cheese. Tripe is the basis for menudo, the Mexican cure for a hangover. All it does for me is give me indigestion. LOL
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Boolit Grand Master

There are many ways to make scrapple. To sum up the ingredients rather eloquently; it's all the parts of the pig that aren't good enough for hot dogs :laugh:

I don't eat the stuff but I'm the only one out my fifty immediate family members that doesn't. It's not even close to being the worse thing I ever ate. I just don't care for grey spicy meat that I can't positively identify which part of the pig it is.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by rich_kildow View Post
    Balut while I was in the Phillipines. There were many beers involved. If you don't know what it is, do yourself a favor and don't look it up.
    I couldn't help myself....I looked it up. Even cajuns don't eat that!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    There are many ways to make scrapple. To sum up the ingredients rather eloquently; it's all the parts of the pig that aren't good enough for hot dogs :laugh:

I don't eat the stuff but I'm the only one out my fifty immediate family members that doesn't. It's not even close to being the worse thing I ever ate. I just don't care for grey spicy meat that I can't positively identify which part of the pig it is.
    Hog's Head Cheese is the same thing and I can identify all the little specks in it--helped my father make plenty of it. Like a lot of things on this thread, just according to taste. My wife was talking about Barbacoa and Tamales this noon, what someone told her were in them. Partial truths, I love Barbacoa.

Balut--I looked it up. Not to my taste. Woooof! Wood chips marinated in butter and tabasco sound better.
    Last edited by gbrown; 07-30-2013 at 09:35 PM. Reason: additional info

Boolit Bub
    Lutefisk, forced to try once a year at family get together when i was kid .Absolutly awful.

Moderator Emeritus

Lutefisk... salt cod soaked in lye then water then steamed into fish jello. Smells like a 3 week old dead carp that has been laying on the riverbank.

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast