Load DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
RepackboxRotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee Precision
Snyders Jerky Wideners
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: What"s the worst thing you ever ate ?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dragonrider View Post
    Jello, I have never regurgitated so quickly. I can't tolerate watching someone else eat jello. It's absolutely the most vile substance I have ever put in my mouth.
    Try eating Jello with a straw!

dale in Louisiana

No longer living in the High Country, Australia, a lowlander now.
    As a kid if Mom put onions in front of me it was barf time...........today, cant get enough of them, love em.

"Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so too."

Boolit Master

I've already said about but my likes and dislikes, but I just want to say, this thread is one of the most entertaining I've seen in a while. One person can't stand something and another says I can't get enough of that. Funny stuff!! Never had steak and kidney pie, don't plan to look for any recipes, either. Not much else I haven't tried, except maybe that balut, whatever it is. Maybe there's some exotic stuff from Asia I haven't seen. Maybe birds nest soup? Not interested.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Love Brussel Sprouts!! Another addition to the Brussel Sprouts is some Balsamic Vinegar. Reduce it until it gets thick and sweet, with the Bacon in there it will cut the bitterness!! Worse thing I ever ate was Bluefish chowder and Muskrat YUCK!!!!! Does not even describe the horrid taste of these two dishes!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    My wife is a classically trained chef (Culinary Institute). One time she made "tofu stew" with extra bean sprouts. She had gotten a big bag so she used a LOT. The concoction tasted pretty good, but the long skinny translucent bean sprouts were... not pretty. Usually I had praise or at least constructive criticism for her creations. About this one I was silent. After being asked three times What do you think about it, what's wrong with it, I told her It tastes good honey, but it looks like a plate full of worms. I kept eating it, but realizing I was right, she could not take another bite.
    On brussel sprouts, broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage the key is to cook it with the LID OFF. This lets bitter components to evaporate off. Brussel sprouts with shallots and bacon is one of my favorite vegetables.
    45 ACP because shooting more than once is just silly!!

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

Moderator Emeritus

You just reminded me of the wild game/road kill dinner we used to have every year. One year someone made coot (mud duck) stew. Took me 3 days to get that taste out of my mouth

Boolit Buddy

Tomatoes cooked and uncooked.Yuck! I like the sauce however. I like raw fish but I draw the line at tomatoes and bananas

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Gliden07 View Post
    Love Brussel Sprouts!! Another addition to the Brussel Sprouts is some Balsamic Vinegar. Reduce it until it gets thick and sweet, with the Bacon in there it will cut the bitterness!! Worse thing I ever ate was Bluefish chowder and Muskrat YUCK!!!!! Does not even describe the horrid taste of these two dishes!!
    They call them MUSK rat for a reason... lots of musk glands, which give the meat a musky flavor...Cajuns only eat them when they have to and they know how to skin, remove the musk glands and prep the meat so it's edible...but yeah YUCK covers muskrat flavor.

Coot, poule d'eau aka water hen ,thats something else cajuns don't bother with too much, they bottom feed and tend to have a "muddy " flavor, them things is everywhere in the marsh. Don't taste good unless you really know how to prepare it.
    Last edited by gwpercle; 07-18-2013 at 05:11 PM.

My father liked muskrat. Sometime during the 1930s depression, SE Michigan lore had it that muskrat had been deemed fish by the Pope so it started to be served at the Friday fish frys. In the 1960s dad would order it once or twice a year. The rest of us tasted it - once.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ithaca Gunner View Post
    I'll admit, there's a lot of things I haven't tried, but the worst thing I remember trying to eat was raccoon! I shot one in the corn crib as a youngster and just had to have mom cook it up. I regret that.
    My brother and I had the same experience! Didn't find out till years later about the glands in the hind legs that are supposed to be removed during skinning...if you don't it gives the meat a bad flavor... My brother and I never went coon hunting again.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    You just reminded me of the wild game/road kill dinner we used to have every year. One year someone made coot (mud duck) stew. Took me 3 days to get that taste out of my mouth

Down here, coots are, in Cajun vernacular, poule d'eau, which is French for 'water chicken' and it usually gets corrupted to something that sounds like 'poodle-doo'. We hunted 'em when I was kid, usually after the grown-ups had finished the Saturday morning duck hunt. The poule d'eau populated a large marsh pound in a flock that numbered in the hundreds. we'd form a line across the pond and drive them towards one end. They'd stay out of shotgun range until we pushed them up against the bank at one end, then they took flight.

Being birds with small brains, they'd head for the opposite end of the pond, right over our heads, and they don't fly very high. We'd bag a dozen or so. The meat was too fishy to eat, but the gizzard on one of those things is huge, and makes a great gravy.

After we were older, I came home on leave one time and my brother and I drove out in the pasture to one of those big ponds and caught a flock of poule d'eau on the bank. He got the bright idea to drive through the flock in hopes of bagging a few with his truck. They took flight faster than he thought and they flew over his truck to get to the nearest water. Like most birds when frightened, they took flight and evacuated their bowels as they headed up, crapping all over his new truck.

Poule d'eau feces will take the paint off a new truck before you get around to hosing it off.

dale in Louisiana

Moderator Emeritus

My little brother made that mistake in his brand new boat... smell never did come out of the carpet.

Quote Originally Posted by DeanWinchester View Post
    I'm fixin' to ruin what little reputation I may have here on C/B's but.....All thinks pork. Can't stand it.
    Man, I've read a lot of your posts, intelligent questions and discussions, but I may have just lost all the good vibes. I'll eat and love anything pork but the brains.....

As someone else said, cilantro...bell peppers too. Bell peppers are worse, they always taste green and bitter and unripe, not that exactly, you know taste is hard to describe, but they overpower the taste of anything you cook with them.
    Last edited by KYShooter73; 07-19-2013 at 12:32 AM. Reason: Describe my own flavor faults...
    War is peace.
    Freedom is slavery.
    Ignorance is strength.”
    ― George Orwell, 1984

Boolit Bub
    I'll admit, there's a lot of things I haven't tried, but the worst thing I remember trying to eat was raccoon! I shot one in the corn crib as a youngster and just had to have mom cook it up. I regret that.
    Barbequed coon slow cooked on the grill is gooood eating! A little tough, a lot greasy...but good tasting.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by KYShooter73 View Post
    As someone else said, cilantro...bell peppers too. Bell peppers are worse, they always taste green and bitter and unripe, not that exactly, you know taste is hard to describe, but they overpower the taste of anything you cook with them.
    The only way I like them is BBQed with onions and chunks of beef on a metal skewer or minced into a pulp for use in gumbo.

Minced onions, celery, and bell peppers plus a roux -- the basis of a good file gumbo.
    NATURAL BORN CITIZEN = offspring of TWO US citizens
    Just because they are constantly playing the Race Card, it doesn't mean that we should allow them to get away with raping our Constitution.

Most problems in life can be solved with sufficient quantities of high explosives -- or with penicillin.

More about me

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    In my younger days, I had just moved into my 1st apartment and was entertaining my girlfiend that night. Decided to bake some of my mom's famous home-made cornbread muffins. Grabbed all the stuff at the store and used baking soda instead of baking powder. Heck, I didn't know the difference! Both had "baking" in 'em!

Anyway, one bite could bring projectile vomiting to even the strongest stomach! Threw them out and the birds would not even eat them!

Worst-tasing stuff I have ever eaten.

banger

Boolit Grand Master

This is quite entertaining, I'm sitting here and laughing out loud at some of the posts.
    I must admit to never seeing a recipe for bobcat. A few more things I won't eat again:

woodpecker...taste like an old crow.
    crow ...not a good flavor.
    salt-free saltine crackers...dirt taste better.

I am surprised to see a "don't like mac-n-cheese". That little blue box of Kraft Mac-N-Cheese provided many a meal while in school...I still enjoy it.

Boolit Grand Master

So far nobody has mentioned S.O.S. , chreamed chiped beef on toast. my dad ,a retired navy man ,said he actually liked it when served aboard ship ( but be he is cajun). And no mention of chitterlings, I have never had these, anybody tasted them?
    Gary

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    So far nobody has mentioned S.O.S. , chreamed chiped beef on toast. my dad ,a retired navy man ,said he actually liked it when served aboard ship ( but be he is cajun). And no mention of chitterlings, I have never had these, anybody tasted them?
    Gary
    One of the happy moments on my visit to Camp Perry was the messhall breakfast of SOS. Ah, the memories of my mis-spent youth! SOS, messhall biscuits, piles of bacon... Life could be worse. In the field it often was, but a few days of 'C's' and the messhall looked darned appealing.

Chitterling, or 'chitlins', I never had. In the west end of Cajun country, they were prepared as 'andouille', not to be confused with the sausage of the same name made popular by nationally known Cajun cooking shows. In the areas where 'andouille' is a sausage, the dish we called 'andouille' is called 'andouillette'. Grandma's andouille was carefully cleaned intestines stuffed with more carefully cleaned intestines, all cooked slowly in a spicy tomato-based sauce. Was good.

Won't ever see it again,because it was the natural offshoot of a 'boucherie', the communal process of butchering several hogs, usually taking place on a frosty morning in late November or early December. An extended family or two would gang up to make the task easy, and thrifty Cajuns used just about every bit of the hog(s), including the intestines. What wasn't cleaned and stuffed for sausage or boudin ended up as 'andouille'.

It wasn't the only organ meat to find its way onto the table, either. It was common on that day to do a 'bouilli' a soup made with organ meats like the heart, kidneys and spleen, or 'melt'. Heart is chewy, and a properly cleaned kidney is flavorful in a liver sort of way, but if heart is chewy, melt is chewier, like the difference between a candle and a bonfire. Little kids whining for food in the kitchen were given a chunk of melt from the bouilli pot so they could chew on it... for a looooong time, and they were run out the door under threat of the dreaded 'switch'.

And the last thing that comes out of the boucherie was lard, gallons of it, produced by cutting the layers of fat and skin from the hog and rendering it in big iron pots over open fires. The lard was put in buckets for use over the next few months as THE cooking fat in Cajun kitchens, and the byproduct of producing this lard was 'cracklin's', crunchy, greasy, salty, peppery, and if you have cracklins then you have to have beer...

And with beer, somebody'd drag out a fiddle and an accordion and maybe a guitar and music would happen.

And life was good.

dale in Louisiana
    (And the guitar player is my nephew)

That does sound like a good life dale, thanks for sharing the story.

I have visited your neck of the woods on several occasions and had some great food and good times.

Boolit Master

While not the worst tasting stuff in the world simply because these had no taste at all!..The canned crackers/bread they had the C-rations! I think there was more flavor if you chewed on the box they came in.
    That canned bread was the one thing I was never able to swap with the locals for something else. I think that the only English some of those Korean ladies could read was "White Bread" on that ration can.

dale in Louisiana

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast