Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2RepackboxLee Precision
WidenersTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: What"s the worst thing you ever ate ?

Moderator Emeritus

potato chips made with fat-free fat (olestra)
    http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-olestra.htm
    ya gotta love food that lists side effects:
    "The side effects—including loose stools, abdominal cramping, and olestra's interference with the body's ability to absorb certain crucial vitamins, namely Vitamins A, D, E, and K—were enough to cut sales in half by 2000 to $200 million USD. Although the intestinal side effects, which became commonly known as "anal leakage" "
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Moderator Emeritus

also, my Alaskan cousins (they are part native) would reconstitute dried Pike with seal oil...that was tough to choke down.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Quote Originally Posted by gbrown View Post
    About the only thing I don't want to eat is brussel sprouts. They just taste bitter to me.
    Brussel sprouts in Texas probably taste bitter to everyone.
    I can't stand them until after the first frost gets to the plants. The sugars convert and then they're great.

My two worst, that I can remember, is head cheese and Durian.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dbosman View Post
    Brussel sprouts in Texas probably taste bitter to everyone.
    I can't stand them until after the first frost gets to the plants. The sugars convert and then they're great.

My two worst, that I can remember, is head cheese and Durian.
    Mine have always been store bought, have no clue where they were raised. My mother loved them and cooked them from time to time. Ate 'em, cause I was supposed to. As said, didn't enjoy them. My family eats them, but I don't. Any other vegetable I will eat, including pickled stuff, like kimchee, sauerkraut, greens of all sorts, etc. Just leave out the brussel sprouts. Give me a thousand recipes, I'll try 'em all, less the brussel sprouts. LOL

Edit--Head Cheese? OMG. Good Head Cheese is like the ultimate. Thick slab of head cheese on good bread with a thick slice of sweet onion? Wow! We all have our own tastes.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Boolit Master

gw-

I've often wondered why we Cajuns didn't already include squid and octopus in our repertoire. I love 'em, but I have trouble finding fresh ones. Every place I ask around here has them as bait until I go visit our Vietnamese friends. To me, seafood is seafood.

Brussels sprouts -- yeah, if you do the 'boil 'em until they're slimy' recipe. I take fresh ones, clean off the outer leaves, cut them in half and saute 'em with onions and garlic and browned-down smoked sausage. They're great.

Worst thing I ever ate? I dunno. An 'I dare you' hot pepper when I was a kid? Green persimmon? They have a well-deserved reputation for puckering you up something fierce.

dale in Louisiana

Boolit Master

Beets, . . . I consider any beet crop a failure.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Love brussel sprouts cooked any way. Keep the slimey okra for fertilizer.

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master

Hey Hiclory, +1 on the beets. I always say "lips that touch beets shall never touch mine."

Condorjohn

Boolit Master

"Few years back, while in China, got into a batch of bad chicken feet, tore up for about a week. That's about the only thing I don't eat anymore."

I Can't believe there is a good batch of chicken feet.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm not much of a plant eater -- I eat the animals that eat the plants.

Now, having said that, I would have to say that there are a lot of things that I have encountered overseas that I could not get past the look, much less the smell. For the most part, I have determined that just drinking their beer is usually safe and most herbivore mammals are acceptable grilled over an open fire.
    NATURAL BORN CITIZEN = offspring of TWO US citizens
    Just because they are constantly playing the Race Card, it doesn't mean that we should allow them to get away with raping our Constitution.

Most problems in life can be solved with sufficient quantities of high explosives -- or with penicillin.

More about me

Boolit Master

Shot some Blue Jays when I was a kid......toughest, stringiest no-flavor piece of meat I ever ate. Got both of em down but never shot another.

Moderator Emeritus

I normally don't tell this story since it sounds unbelievable, and I freely admit that. But it really happened, I saw it with my own eyes.

About 20 years ago I was working for a shipyard on Norfolk's waterfront. It was October and we were on 10 hour days working 70 hours on the USS Shreveport. The gedunk at the yard had decent lunches during the normal work week, but weekends if they were even open they had leftovers, I got some beef noodle for lunch on a Saturday that was so bad I threw it out on the pier for the seagulls to eat....

They wouldn't. They flew off and left it on the pier.
    Give us this day our daily lead.

Sic Semper Tyrannis.

If you don't want 1984 you're going to need some 1776.
    WWGWD

okra and chicken hearts

Boolit Master

Eat most anything but on a deployment came across the most vile thing I've ever eaten, pickeled fish sausage. Even a Marine two days behind on chow could not stomach that stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by DeanWinchester View Post
    I'm fixin' to ruin what little reputation I may have here on C/B's but.....All thinks pork. Can't stand it.
    A friend went on a tour, they visited some cannibal's - one of the questions was what they like to eat now - answer was pork - caused it tasted like chinamen.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Buddy
    Anything containing cilantro. I don't understand with the fascination with this evil weed. I can taste bug spray and soap no matter how little is used. It definitely keeps me out of a lot of mexican restaurants. There is even a website called "I Hate Cilantro".
    Other than that, I'll eat most anything.
    -William

"How air ye fixed fer meat, Del?" --John Johnson Crow Killer, The Saga of Liver-Eating Johnson

My Feedback: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...t=stonecrusher

Moderator Emeritus

Durian (shudders) that has to top my list. Second is my grandmother on my mom's side hamburger gravy, that lady fed 10 people with a 1/4 pound of hamburger boiled in water and thickened with corn starch (complete with corn starch lumps, slimy little dumplings)

Boolit Buddy
    A bar of soap! Ivory!
    Knowledge shall forever govern ignorance!

I see what I am hunting just coming off the "GRILL"!

It is not a measure of moral health to be well adjusted in a sick society!
    Jules

Boolit Master

Air Force chow at BeinHoa, 1970. Not that the food was bad, but everything I ate there gave me the trots, and not just me. A lot of us ended up eating at the Airman's Annex. Same cooks as the mess hall, but, never got the trots from that food.

Banned
    Tofu sucks big time.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast