Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLoad DataRepackbox
Snyders Jerky Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pure lead @ .80¢ per lb

Boolit Master at Heavens Range

Pure lead @ .80¢ per lb

I scored 25 lbs of pure lead yesterday for $20.00 at a scrap yard. The lady had about 25 lbs left, so I believe I'll go back and buy the rest. It was cable sheathing and oil well sand screen seals.

This is destined for some campfire bullet casting come late October. The bullets are 320 REAL from Lee for my rifle and .490 round ball from Lee for my pistol.

Perm-Banned
    some days are diamonds, thanks for shareing

Boolit Master

Absolutely go get the rest.
    You may not need it today.

But remember what happened to that brick of .22LR that was on sale last year and you thought "Oh I don't need that now, I will buy it later."
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Boolit Master

good score. Congrats.

Boolit Man
    Cool. I have a lot of pure lead that I took out of a cath lab a few years back when we did a remodel. Does the pure lead work fine in a muzzleloader?

Quote Originally Posted by Greebe View Post
    Cool. I have a lot of pure lead that I took out of a cath lab a few years back when we did a remodel. Does the pure lead work fine in a muzzleloader?
    It's the preferred alloy for muzzleloaders.

Quote Originally Posted by williamwaco View Post
    Absolutely go get the rest.
    You may not need it today.

But remember what happened to that brick of .22LR that was on sale last year and you thought "Oh I don't need that now, I will buy it later."
    By golly, you are 100% right on! I'll be there Monday morning!

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Junior1942 View Post
    It's the preferred alloy for muzzleloaders.
    Great. I will be set for a few lifetimes then.

Boolit Grand Master

They had a stained window glass shop where I work but it's closed now. I did manage to get about 350# before they closed though for free. I wish they were still open.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Master
    50 lbs may get you by. But in this case concerning pure/lead in your local. Never hurts to snag more if you can.

O/M

By golly, you are 100% right on! I'll be there Monday morning!
    I bought all they had this morning. 46 lbs @ .80¢ = $36.80. That gives me ~100 lbs total of pure lead on hand. I have ~800 lbs of wheelweights and reclaimed hard shot on hand, so I think I have a lifetime supply of bullet material.

I also fell in love with the little cutie running the office. Alas, I went to high school with her mother.....

Boolit Master
    one time i picked up some window weights. they were counter weights for the slid up windows in a school. 2 feet long 2 in. squire. they made nice round balls and minies.

Boolit Master

I can't believe the price of scrap lead that I'm hearing here. I bought 300lbs last fall for $100 from a scrap yard. It was mostly roof flashings and had to be melted down but the yield was on the order of 290lbs. I haven't gotten into that batch yet but I'm sure glad I picked it up. I shoot BPCR and LRML so that requires pure with tin added. I'd like to find a good reliable source for the tin, at a reasonable price.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Boolit Master
    Yea it's like everything.Copper,Aluim, & even steel has gone threw the roof.I have a buddy that's
    into oil field service.He said he is paying almost twice for steel from 4 years back.

Fly

Boolit Master
    I tested some cable sheathing, and it was 8 to 8.5 BHN. That is fairly soft but not pure. I have never tested the other. Ron

Ripped off!

I spent the morning smelting some of my new pure lead stash. The last batch, the 46 lb batch, had about a half gallon of water in the bottom of the 5-gallon bucket it came in

They knocked off 2 lbs for the bucket when they weighed it. I stored it under my carport safely out of the rain. At the scrap yard, it was outside I am POed. I paid .80¢ a lb for a half gallon of water..... Dirty rotten #@*&^%$# sons of ^&*()%$ scoundrels....

A half a gallon of water is approximately 4 lbs so they only beat you out of a little over 3 bucks. You couldn't even buy a hamburger for that. You still came out OK.

Boolit Master

I scored 25 lbs of pure lead yesterday for $20.00 at a scrap yard. The lady had about 25 lbs left, so I believe I'll go back and buy the rest. It was cable sheathing and oil well sand screen seals.

This is destined for some campfire bullet casting come late October. The bullets are 320 REAL from Lee for my rifle and .490 round ball from Lee for my pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojelio View Post
    A half a gallon of water is approximately 4 lbs so they only beat you out of a little over 3 bucks. You couldn't even buy a hamburger for that. You still came out OK.
    You're right. Besides, I don't know for a fact that they knew the bucket of lead scraps had water in it.

During yesterday's transformation from lead scraps to ingots I cast a few 320 REAL bullets. The AV weight = 324 gr or circa 21 bullets per lb of lead. AV diameter top band = .510"; AV diameter bottom band = .500".

I checked the alloy hardness with my Lee Hardness Tester. The indent measured .092" and the Lee chart only lists down to .079" @ 8 BH. So my alloy is 6 BH or less. I'm guessing 4 BH.