Reloading EverythingWidenersTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Load DataInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else watching Top Shot

I enjoy it. If Colby gets talking too much, I just hit the mute button! The one mile shot was crazy!!
    what lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to while lies within us - emerson

Boolit Master

I don't watch, too melodramatic. Ten minutes worth of shooting and fifty minutes of BS and commercials.

As a side note Jim Sinclair from Season One shoots at the club I belong to. He's into WW2 rifles and competes locally as well as Camp Perry. I've never seen him shoot a handgun. That was his downfall in the show.
    http://topshotonhistory.wikia.com/wi...im%22_Sinclair
    Proud member in the basket of deplorables.

I've got the itch, but don't got the scratch.

Boolit Grand Master

If there was ever a reason to throw the TV in the trash that show is it.

The couple of shows that I have seen all I could think was . . . My life must be over if there is nothing in my life worth doing other than watching this BS.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Boolit Master
    It might/maybe would be watchable if it weren't for all the trumped up "drama" Looks like they're trying to attract the "real housewife" audience.
    Last edited by scb; 07-13-2013 at 02:47 PM.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety".
    Benjamin Franklin

Where an excess of power prevails, property of no sort is duly respected. No man is safe in his opinions, his person, his faculties, or his possessions.
    James Madison

Boolit Master

Well, this is likely the last season. They had to hash out something to pique interest for another season/session. So they brought back the runner ups from the previous seasons.

One thing I would really like to see is that narcissist Colby try some of those trick shots. He's all arrogant and so irritating it makes it hard to watch.

Some of the claims for that atlatl are hard to believe! It was said they think it was responsible for the extinction of the wooly mammoth. Those "darts" would barely stick in those targets. THAT was supposed to kill an hairy elephant? Gimme a break!

It hasn't made me mad enough to quit watching. I'll stick it out.
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
    You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
    You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."

“At the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat”--Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Master
    I never saw this show when it hit satellite or cable. Just now seeing parts of it and, I watch it for the different challenges. I loved the one about shooting racks of steel targets- my silhouette love explains that. Also liked the paint cans stacked with the bottom one being full of water. I need to try that, just to launch cans. It's the creativity of the simple challenges that interests me.

They can keep all the drama, who's top shot and all that. I just want to copy some simple plinking ideas, lol. Makes me a Cheap Shot, eh?

Ron
    In all, the .41 Magnum would be one of my top choices for an all-around handgun if I were allowed to have only one. - Bart Skelton

[QUOTE=snuffy;2301917]

Some of the claims for that atlatl are hard to believe! It was said they think it was responsible for the extinction of the wooly mammoth. Those "darts" would barely stick in those targets. THAT was supposed to kill an hairy elephant? Gimme a break!

[/QUOTE/]

Yeah, kind of hard to imagine taking on a full grown pachyderm with a sharp stick, but not so outrageous if you consider a 2-300 hundred pound infant.

The trick would be avoiding the irate mama mammoth.

Remove the breeding stock before it's mature and there's no way for the species to survive. This may be the only instance of subsistence hunting causing the extinction of a species.

Now.......back on topic..........

Reality TV is just one more reason I'm content to be TV free.

Jerry
    Buzzard's luck!! Can't kill nothin', nothin'll die!!

Quote Originally Posted by snuffy View Post
    Well, this is likely the last season. They had to hash out something to pique interest for another season/session. So they brought back the runner ups from the previous seasons.

One thing I would really like to see is that narcissist Colby try some of those trick shots. He's all arrogant and so irritating it makes it hard to watch.
    As for the end of the season, It may well be. What I would like to see from this show if it stays on is a CELEBRITY Top Shop. Get 16 of the more firearms friendly Celebs from different walks of life and have them compete.

Now for Colby. I felt the same way when the show first started. How good is he and why does he talk so much. But this past season there was a spin off called Top Guns. A guest (several were past contestants from Top Shot and others were some of the experts they had on the show) would bring three firearms that had something in common. The history of the weapons would be discussed along with a practice session. After the practice session there would be a competition with 2 guest and Colby. I was surprised at how good of a shot Colby is. He did not win every competition but was very competitive.

Now, I do agree Colby could talk a little less and they could nix a lot of the drama from the first three seasons. Especial like the one black contestant that was on the show that ended up quitting and the three Marines that decided they were teaming up to get rid of everyone else. I do like the format of the bottom finishers in a challenge going to the range and the worst of them going to the elimination round.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Master
    I can forgive Colby because I enjoy the shooting. That's especially true of this year when it's almost entirely shooting and very little team drama. I think the format of this year's show is a real improvement. And I think the idea of a celebrity season would be cool.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

I'm going to make this atlatl. I just need to find me an adult to help. I'll post pics. As for the show, I love it. As some have said I can put up with the drama to watch the shooting. This years format is better, more skill less drama.

MAKING YOUR OWN ATLATL FROM A PAINT STIRRER
    WHAT YOU WILL NEED:
    1.An adult to help you
    2.Paint stirrers (you can get these at most hardware stores)
    3.A saw
    4.Wood glue
    5.A drill
    6.Wood clamps
    7.Heavy-duty duct tape
    8.Leather straps (or leather shoe strings)
    9.3/8”x 48”wooden dowels. You’ll need these for the atlatl and for the spears.
    10.Pencil sharpener
    11.Scissors

http://www.ilovehistory.utah.gov/fun..._an_atlatl.pdf
    "Some men are mere hunters; others are turkey hunters." Archibald Rutledge

http://doingitoutdoors.wordpress.com/

I searched Atlatl here and found this thread. It started for me in Hot Springs, South Dakota at the Mammoth Dig Site. A couple weeks ago we were in the Black Hills and I'm in the gift shop looking at a Atlatl for display only and I'm thinking I can make that. I ended up with a 6 foot fiberglass rod from Menards and a wooden Atlatl from a branch. Its pretty fun to chuck that big dart across the yard. The fiberglass rod is holding up good.
    Oh great, another thread that makes me spend money.

Moderator Emeritus

One of my wifes co-workers puts on an atylaytl demonstration every year at the State Park and it is a big hit. With an adult sized stick and spears I have seen throws 125-160 yards. Hitting a target at 35 yards will penetrate 30" through a small square bale.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Atlatl's are fun. I've been playing with them for years. I sold my last one to a lady this spring, as it was too short for me, and fit her very well. We have a guy around 14 in our ML club who is a master flint knapper who had one with him at the spring shoot. He could hit his target every time at 40 yards.

MtGianni, is that Altalt Bob out of Manhattan?
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master
    After watching most of the past seasons, I just wasn't impressed enough to watch it anymore.

Are there any guide lines for atlatl lengths? Mine is 25''. For darts I've used willow, cattail and now the rod. On the rods I have cut pieces of milk jug for fletching to stabilize and drilled a small hole for the atlatl notch. I haven't worked on attaching a hunting tip yet. I suppose weight on front of the dart will flex the shaft during the throw and affect accuracy?

I thought the show was okay. Interesting target setups and different shooting scenarios. Not all of those angles and positions are completely out of hand depending where you are and what needs to be done. Like shooting high because your aiming straight down at a deer right below your tree.
    Oh great, another thread that makes me spend money.

Boolit Grand Master

Just like the gold prospecting and other reality shows, too much chatter, drama, and non-reality for me to really enjoy. I watched all of them for a while, trying to ignore the crud, but they lost my interest.
    The subject matter of each of them was good, but everyone of them had too much fake competition and drama.
    When I watch TV, it's for enlightment or entertainment. Neither is served by nonsense.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by pmer View Post
    Are there any guide lines for atlatl lengths? Mine is 25''.
    Measure from your armpit, to the tips of your fingers.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

In Remembrance

About 25 years ago a buddy of mine in Pa lobbied his state Senator and congressman to allow the use of the atlatl for small game hunting. He was what you could call an "Expert" shot with is home made equipment.Robert

Boolit Buddy
    I enjoyed a good portion of the show, I think I watched all seasons except the last one. It became obvious to me early on that the slow-mo shots were not of the competitors, but rather recorded before or after the actual competition. I'd say the same goes for the host's commentary during the events - much of it was recorded after the fact if you ask me. In that respect it was way over-produced (fake) but what I liked was all the different setups they had for various competitions. I was always trying to figure out if I could pull off some variation of what they were doing on the show, or if it would simply be too much work to set up and clean up after.

Boolit Master
    I have never seen it. so I went to youtube and tried to watch one of the shows. made it 10 min. in I want that 10 min of my life back. what junk and hype.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast