Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationLoad DataSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Repackbox
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else watching Top Shot

Anyone else watching Top Shot

After this weeks show I've got to make me an atlatl.
    "Some men are mere hunters; others are turkey hunters." Archibald Rutledge

http://doingitoutdoors.wordpress.com/

I tuned to Top Shot to watch these guys shoot guns, that's what got them there. It sucks when a good shooter gets eliminated because of a goofy weapon that no one could master is a short time. Gunny Brian is a multiple time pistol champion, and almost got sent home by a lousy performance throwing sticks. What's next, sling shots or throwing rocks? I don't think much of making a guy shoot while suspended upside down either.

They threw rocks in either season 2 or 3. There is always at least ONE primitive weapon on the show. I consider it THE GREAT EGO BUSTER. I was amazed at how poorly most of the contestants threw rocks. I am sure the contestants realize that they will have to do something like this. Especially when they are all return contestants. Now I hope you didn't have a problem with the 1 mile shot contest.

Shooting while suspended upside down would pose a MAJOR problem for me. I have developed a rather bad equilibrium problem in my later years.

How do you feel about riding down a ZIPLINE while shooting?

Now as for the other weapons used during the show, I would have loved to be sent to the elimination round where they got to shoot the 1877 Bulldog Gat.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

And the host/narrator blabbering on and on not knowing when to shut his mouth spewing nonsensical drivel is why after watching once or twice the first season I've never watched it since, nor will I.
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

Boolit Master

I'd love to go do it, just to get to play with all the cool toys.
    Every shot you get in life counts

Boolit Master
    Love the show!
    I want an atlatl to throw.

Boolit Master
    I enjoy the show. The photography is excellent. Especially the slo-mo shots. This season is very good in that there isn't any crappy drama between the competitors. As for the odd weapons, the unusual shooting positions etc, I think it helps level the playing field. A good shooter is one who can adapt to several types of weapons all at once, yet not necessarily be a master at any one type. It's easy to be real good at one thing, a bit harder to be really good at two or more. This show is all about a well rounded shooter. I know several of the worlds top shooters in certain pistol competitions. Yet, I was pleasantly surprised one day, at a demo, when a lady asked the world champion a question involving a different firearm than what he used. He politely told her his expertise wasn't with that type of firearm, then pointed at me & said that "I could easily help her as he knew I was good with that type." He wasn't afraid to admit his limited range of abilities.
    So to watch these shooters try different types of weapons, and especially with them knowing they will be faced with oddities, it is fun to see how they do. Yes, it's primarily about shooting, and they all have some form of shooting background. But, an all around shooter who can adapt to many types of weapons is, to me, a true "Top Shot."
    A good example is Jerry Miculek. While it's well known he is the best DA revolver shooter in the world, he is also a master in other types of firearms. He has won other types of competition & is well known to be an all around expert in many types. (Plus he's a heck of a nice guy!)

As for stuff that some find detracting to the show, (Colby's chatter etc,) it's easy to ignore such stuff & focus on the shooting & competitions.
    I also enjoy studying the challenges. I have taken the time to try a few of them on my own to see how I'd do. (Try shooting a 22 Ruger 10/22 & putting the boolit through the center hole. Or shooting gumballs off golf tees. Or shooting two DA Rugers at the same time at different targets.)

Besides, it's a popular shooting show, showing firearms in a positive light! We need shows like that.

Boolit Master
    No, I really don't like the show.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by farmerjim View Post
    Love the show!
    I want an atlatl to throw.
    Me as well , I never heard much about an atlatl until a friend sent me this video of a seven year old deer hunting with one.IMO this is more hunting than a person with the latest greatest earsplittzenloudenboomer taking a trophy buck at 1000 yards.Nothing wrong with either style as long as the hunter is competent with their chosen weapon but to me this kid and his gran-pa has something to be very proud of. If the link doesn't work just search for deer hunting with an atlatl... seven year old pa hunter scores.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUuV5...has_verified=1
    If you are unwilling to defend even your own lives, then you are like mice trying to 'negotiate' with owls. You regard their ways as 'wrong', they regard you as dinner. John Farnam

Boolit Master

I enjoy the show as well but don't watch it regularly. I did see the atlatl episode the other night, and yes, it made me want to make one too...

Boolit Master & Generous Contributor

I met Dustin Ellermann a few weeks ago, Top Shot winner of season 3. He preached at our church in Pearland a few weeks ago. We tried to get together to do a little shooting but we could not secure a private range.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-0M5bKG4aI
    If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
    Samuel Adams

Sam

Moderator Emeritus

I have seen a few but did not know it was back on this season. I record it and watch the best 10 minutes.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Buddy

i wish NewYork would let us hunt with a spear or an atlati. (maybe after they take all our guns we can.) LOL
    What I hand-load; .380acp; 9mm/9mmR; 38/357mag; 45acp;
    223rem(5.56mm); 22-250rem; 243win; 6.5 Grendel; 270 win; 30-30win; 308win; 45-70gov.

on the list to start Loading; 30-06 springfield; 222 rem; 6.5x55 swedish

"You might be a gun nut if you load 45-70 on a progressive press" -HICKOK45<- was he talking about me!?!

---
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    _________________ ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Mold
    Going to have to set my dvr really would like to see the one mile shot. Don't care for the host constant talking. I think it would be better if he would shut up!

To me, it's all staged BS. I can't stand reality shows just for that reason.
    R.M.

The tree of liberty must be watered periodically with the blood of tyrants and patriots alike..........Thomas Jefferson

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by 292 View Post
    Anyone else watching Top Shot
    No.
    I watched some episodes during the first season, then dumped it.

Very few 'reality' shows are real enough to be worth your time.

CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

In Remembrance

Some years back a chum of mine was the atlatl champ in Pa. I have a handmade version he sent me to try to master. The ordeal of making the darts for it discouraged me from using it for any purpose. I believe my buddy helped to allow others to use this weapon for hunting in Pa.Robert

Just watched it last night. I believe I will watch it again.

Boolit Master

I thought it was great when it was new.

Now it is just stupid.

I don't watch it any more

First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Boolit Master

I think Colby learned his play-by-play prattle from Jeff Probst when he was competing on the Survivor show (yet another waste of airwaves).
    I've only been watching Top Shot here and there as I run across it when changing channels, but I did see the Atlatl show the other night.

Anyone who wants to see and learn about them should visit the World Atlatl Competition held every year at Valley of Fire Nevada. Cool Event...

http://parks.nv.gov/2013/02/22nd-ann...22-through-24/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast