Lee PrecisionWidenersTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackbox
Inline Fabrication Load Data

Thread: Marlin 336CS

Boolit Master

Marlin 336CS

Did a friend a favor and got a Marlin 336 in return, wasn't expecting that. Always wanted a levergun but never got around to getting one. Did a serial# search and found it was built in 1988 and it is about 90-95%. I have not yet reloaded or casted for rifle so I have some questions for ya'll. What is your recommendation for my first mold? If say a 150gr mold is a good weight for paper, targets and short range whitetai,l then I'll probably get a good NOE or Mihec. If however maybe a good plinking/50m target round is a mousefart load, then I'll get a Lee and a good one for hunting. I'm not opposed to saving money on powder and lead when plinking. I know checks are needed at higher fps but any other guidelines? ANY input would be appreciated.

Craig
    Last edited by Bzcraig; 07-12-2013 at 01:25 AM.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Master

BZCraig,

You have a very generous friend and for once a good deed gets rewarded!

May we assume that the 336 is a 30/30 with Microgroove rifling?
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Master
    I use primarily two bullets in my 30-30s. Lyman 311041 and 31108. The first is a clasic 30-30 173 gr flat point that has proved to be very accurate is all my rifles when loaded between 1100 and 2000 fps. For small game and plinking I use the 31108 115 gr 32-20 bullet usually with light loads of either Red Dot or Unique. I get good accuracy with loads in the 1000 to 1300 fps range and they work great on varmints and small game at up to 100 yards. I size all my boolets to 312 as this works best in the Marlins with MG barrels and also works fine in my 94 Winchesters.

Boolit Master

It is a 30/30 with microgrooves. As soon as I actually pick it up I will post pics. Thanks for the info Nick.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Master

I'm not sure if you can find a better mold for the .30-30 that the 165gr or 170gr Ranch Dog molds. Keep an eye out for a group buy on one. In the mean time the Lee 150gr mold is decent but a bit boring. It has a kind of jack of all trades and master of none kind of feeling to it but it works. The Lee 170gr is just a longer heavier version of the same thing. Really any mold with a flat point will work for you.

For a Marlin the Ranch Dog bullets are hard to beat. For a hunting bullets I bought this NOE 165 grain RD copy.
    http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product...roducts_id=308

Boolit Master

I have some NOE pistol molds I really like, so I will probably buy another for a hunting boolit. Are you guys sizing to .311 or as cast if .309 or larger?