Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationRepackboxWideners
Load Data Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: best alloy for modern muzzle loader

I alloy mine 66/33 Pb/WW. At velocities above the 100 gr volume mark the Pb seems to have set back or deformation in the barrel. That alloy did well up to a 120 gr volume. I didn't get the groups with it at the 150 gr volume, but I am not sure if it was because of just the gun/load combination or because of deformation on launch. I am not sure of the 130 or 140 gr volumes with it either because I got good groups with the 120 gr load before I tried those loads. That alloy also performed well on deer tissue, not just heavy bone and muscle, at the mid woods ranges with the 240 gr RNFB Lee (mushroom style). Not saying that it wouldn't perform on the heavy bone and muscle. If you want to go higher in load powder volume you might want to go to 50/50 or 33/66 Pb/WW.

Boolit Mold
    vernb. Pure lead is not so good for saboted use in a ml. The metal "flows" into the slits in the sabot creating fins on the o.d of the bullet-not great for accuracy. Have shot some into a box of packed snow to confirm this. I found that 2-3% tin will eliminate this, and greatly improve accuracy! At this hardness expansion is still great. Killed 2 large does with a 292 gr. h.p .451 bullet in a custom mold, exits were aprox.1". Manitoba Canada.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12