Lee PrecisionLoad DataTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackbox
Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gettin old, i like short drags

Smile Only a few months

It is only a few months till huntin season starts.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	limit of squirrels 2 Washenaw.jpg 
Views:	389 
Size:	58.8 KB 
ID:	69848
    Last edited by OnHoPr; 05-08-2013 at 09:36 AM. Reason: Duplicate thread trying capitalize & bold and/or delete. So I tried to change all subject for new thread.

Boolit Master
    Gotta love a bag of fox tail squirrels!
    Good eats!
    I came into this world kicking, screaming, and covered in someone elses blood. I plan to go out the same way.

Boolit Master
    A few fried taters, some home grown maters ( or canned if if nothing else is available ) biscuits and gravy.
    The rich folk don't eat that good!
    Some people live and learn but I mostly just live

Boolit Buddy
    You guys are making me hungry!

My kids love squirrel too! Wish we could hunt those right now, but not too long and it will be time.

Dan

Vendor Sponsor

I could send the ones I have been shooting out of my garden! I was always taught not to eat them in summer, and with any luck time hunting season rolls around, they'll be purty thin around here, and I will have had a successful garden season.

It's funny how they learn. One learns to push his nose through the netting and break into the garden, a couple of others will learn that and follow suit. I've been re-educating them with a pellet rifle, wound a few and let them go back to the nesting tree, sure is a shortage of bushytails in the back yard lately! It works...

In Remembrance
    Wonder what the old timers et in the summertime???

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    I could send the ones I have been shooting out of my garden! I was always taught not to eat them in summer, and with any luck time hunting season rolls around, they'll be purty thin around here, and I will have had a successful garden season.

It's funny how they learn. One learns to push his nose through the netting and break into the garden, a couple of others will learn that and follow suit. I've been re-educating them with a pellet rifle, wound a few and let them go back to the nesting tree, sure is a shortage of bushytails in the back yard lately! It works...
    What is the reasoning with not eating them in the summer? I never thought about it as I have only eaten ones I have head shot in the fall with a 22.

I have been thinning out mine with my bow. Got 10 or 12 last year as they chewed into the garbage cans and chewed on the garage, and made a big mess of things. I managed to graze one pretty hard and gave him a gimpy tail and back leg, he doesn't come in our yard any more.

Although one day there were several in the yard. So I grabbed the bow and skewered one, the others just stared at it. I ran to get another arrow, by the time I came back they were eating again, so I skewered a second one not two feet away. They just stared at it, so I got another arrow, and skewered a third a couple feet from them. They learn I suppose, but they are not too bright.

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range GARCIA's Avatar
    "Wolves" actually the larva of the Bot Fly.
    Big nasty grub that gets under the skin and sure is ugly.
    Always hunted squirrels after the first heavy frost.
    That's my story and I am sticking to it!

Tom

Boolit Master
    Garcia rabbits aren't supposed to be eaten in the summer also. But in their case it is because of a disease they carry. That can be transited to humans. The cooler (cold) fall weather kills any rabbits that have the disease.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by GARCIA View Post
    "Wolves" actually the larva of the Bot Fly.
    Big nasty grub that gets under the skin and sure is ugly.
    Always hunted squirrels after the first heavy frost.
    That's my story and I am sticking to it!

Tom
    Quote Originally Posted by kbstenberg View Post
    Garcia rabbits aren't supposed to be eaten in the summer also. But in their case it is because of a disease they carry. That can be transited to humans. The cooler (cold) fall weather kills any rabbits that have the disease.
    That is good to know thanks you two, had no idea.

Dan

Them squirrels look really good I haven't eaten one in years. My grandpa loved them. We would shoot them for him when we were kids. We don't have them where I love now. I miss chasing them around a tree.
    Dont pee down my back and tell me its raining.

Boolit Master
    (Don't have them where I love now) I guess it would make for interesting bedroom time. No offence intended just could not help myself.

They are one of my favorite species to hunt. They can provide a decent challenge. You can stalk, stillhunt, stand, call, team, dog, and probably a few other ways to hunt them. Not to mention the fall colors can be very picturesque. Along with not being bad table fodder.

I guess it would make for interesting bedroom time
    What? You never loved outside?
    Griz44Mag
    Here in Texas, It's the Biggest, Best and Most Important (or we just won't talk about it)

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by OnHoPr View Post
    They are one of my favorite species to hunt. They can provide a decent challenge. You can stalk, stillhunt, stand, call, team, dog, and probably a few other ways to hunt them. Not to mention the fall colors can be very picturesque. Along with not being bad table fodder.
    Yep they are sure fun to hunt. They are good practice each year to teach you how to be part of the landscape for when you hunt bigger stuff.

I was watching one through the scope last fall and watched it fall backwards off a log! Too funny. It was a fox squirrel, which are a little less coordinated than the greys. Wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it.

Dan

Boolit Master
    Bunnies get a parasite in there gut. Looks like tadpole eggs (frog egg one single not the string) white sack like with a white head, tear drop shape. I wood guess any rodent may get them. Every August the numbers drop big time around here. Back yard full and then all most all gone in a few weeks.

I'm not sure exactly what ran through my mind when I read the title to this thread, but .....
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	midget drag queen.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	124.2 KB 
ID:	70599
    It's the shortest drag I've ever seen.....
    Griz44Mag
    Here in Texas, It's the Biggest, Best and Most Important (or we just won't talk about it)

Boolit Master
    We call that parasitic worm squirrels and rabbits get "warbles". Dont know if that is the correct name for it or not, but that has been the name for it for all my life anyway.
    I came into this world kicking, screaming, and covered in someone elses blood. I plan to go out the same way.

Banned

Where I grew up in S.C. those Bot fly larva were a problem and we used to see it commonly, but here in Kansas, the season starts in June when it's still hot and I've never heard of them being a problem here. Maybe it gets too cold here for them.

Boolit Master
    I thought short drag had something to do with deer. I hunt benches in some big hills. Anytime a wounded deer goes over one bench or more the drag becomes exponentially harder. Dragging gray and fox squirrels is definately easier!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast