Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
WidenersInline FabricationLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Repackbox Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The RCBS 35-200-FN to hollowpoint or not to hollowpoint?

Boolit Bub

The RCBS 35-200-FN to hollowpoint or not to hollowpoint?

Greetings,

My goal is to have a 35 Whelen reduced load for my Ruger #1. Maybe take the RCBS 35-200 boolit and load it to 35 Remington velocities (2,000-2,200 fps). Most of the deer I take is within 50 yards. There is no use for me to load the Whelen to it's potential for around here hunting. The reduced loads would be more fun to shoot out of this light rifle too.

I do not have a mold yet but I see you can purchase these boolits gas checked both in solid and HP from Western Bullet Co.

My question is do I use the solid or hollowpoint?

What would you use and why? At what velocity would the HP boolit work best?

Thanks,
    Corbi
    Last edited by Corbi; 05-26-2013 at 08:20 AM.

Boolit Grand Master
    You speak with wisdom.

1,700 1,800 may offer better accuracy and a dead deer at those speeds won't know if the bullet was traveling 1750 fps or 2100 fps.
    Last edited by Ben; 05-26-2013 at 10:11 AM.

At 2000 to 2100 fps, that boolit cast of ACWW performs exactly like Winchester Power-Points or Remington Core-Loct.

Absolutely no need to HP it.

Jerry
    Buzzard's luck!! Can't kill nothin', nothin'll die!!

Boolit Master
    I agree, I say no hollow point. My opinion is that 35-200 in HP version would be rather explosive. IF/WHEN you buy a mold just mix up 50/50 for a softer boolit for expansion.

Boolit Master

Last edited by Three-Fifty-Seven; 06-22-2020 at 09:12 AM.
    John 3: 16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Banned

I'm not the expert some here are, but I killed two in the past year with .30s at similar velocities, niether of which was a HP and both deer died quickly. I think solids would do fine.

Boolit Master

You could not pay me to HP my RCBS 35-200 mold. Kills deer great in my 35 Rem.
    Larry

Banned

before I storebought I would want to know the alloy they used.
    making your own at home allows you to tune in your alloys softness and velocity.
    there is soooo much you can do yourself to make the boolit perform [or over perform like in the above linked thread]
    you have a velocity window in mind you just need to find accuracy in that window, then tune the alloy to the desired outcome.

Boolit Grand Master

rather explosive

HPs? Sorry but that dog just don't hunt........if hollow pointed correctly and used with a correct alloy the HP does not "explode" but rather decisively increases the terminal potential just as an expanding soft point does.

It's not rocket science either and is easy to do. The RCBS 35-200-FN is an excellent candidate for HPing. Granted it can be quite effective without HPing by using the same alloy but the easy to do HP with a Forster 1/8" HP tool makes the job simple and quite effective. Use COWWs, add 2 % tin to those and then add lead for a 50/50 alloy. I GC and size mine in a .360 H die and lube with Javelina or 2500+. I push them at 2150 fps out of my M91 Argie rebarreled with a 26" Shilen barrel chambered in 35 Rem.

How effective are they? The photo's below show the rifle, the cartridges and the effectiveness. Target show 2 groups at 100 yards in top target with "zeroed" group just above POA. Bottom target is 200 yards with 3 moa added to the rear sight. The bullets in the cartidges in the stripper clip were HP'd with the Forster 1/8" HP tool to a 3/16" depth. Those are my hunting bullets. Buck was shot at about 90 yards and he stumble at the shot and staggered about 20 yards and collapsed. Couple coyotes shot with same didn't go that far.......none of the bullets "exploded " and all were through and through with lots of blood let out. The load is effective to 200 yards (my personal max range based on retained velocity for expansion).

I clean the barrel every 8 - 10 shots with that softer alloy load to maintain that accuracy. I cast the same bullet out of just the COWWs + 2% tin and use the same load for practice. Zeroes are the same that way and with the harder alloy I can shoot all day (have shot 100+ cartridges in an afternoon) w/o any fouling, leading or loss of accuracy.

Doesn't get any better than that.

Larry Gibson

Attachment 71639Attachment 71636Attachment 71638Attachment 71637

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for all the insight.

I'll probably go with the solids. Most of my deer killing is within 50 yards. I would still like to push the boolits fast enough to have a +3" at 100 and -3" at 200 type of trajectory.

123DieselBenz, thanks for the link to that post. I quit shooting shoulders long ago.....especially with the Whelen. LOL! I really like the heart/lung shot if long, if within 10 yards or so I make neck shots.

I appreciate the replies. I will probably buy a hundred or so, if I like them maybe find a mold.

Corbi

Boolit Buddy
    G'Day All
    I've got NOE's copy of this mold in a RG (hollow point) and it works well. No doubt it'd work well as a solid too but I'm happy with it's performance. Kills feral Goats in a flash!!
    Juddy

Boolit Buddy
    I wouldn't HP it,
    It's a great boolit allready

I
    hello.

Boolit Bub
    Anyone want to share a favorite load for the Whelen?

I was considering a reduced charge of IMR4895.

Corbi

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Corbi View Post
    Anyone want to share a favorite load for the Whelen?

I was considering a reduced charge of IMR4895.

Corbi
    I've been using 24g of mil surp 4759 with this boolit cast outta 3:1 alloy(ww:lino) and heat treated to Bhn 22 after sizing. this load chrono's 1744fps with an sd of 22 in a stock Rem 700 with 1:16 twist and gave me a 1.28" five shot group at 100 yds on 8/26/12.
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

Banned

Boolit Master

Can't vouch for hollow points. Unaltered RCBS35-200, cast unsientificly of 50/50 wheel weight/softish rangescrap kills deer very well launched from my rem700 .35 whelen. I use 4064, 40.6 grains. Average about 1900 fps.
    One memroable spike whitetail was leaving in a hurry when I swung on him (but did not swing through) he went down for good. The bullet caught him in the small of the back, ranging forward.
    My hunting buddy, armed with a high velocity 25 cal wildcat was apalled at the disruption of backstrap.
    But real meat loss was very small.
    Well placed shots are very effective. Most animals that were shot standing, folded on the spot, and those in high gear, only good for a few steps.
    Last edited by clodhopper; 06-05-2013 at 12:57 AM.
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for the replies.

Blammer that was exactly the information I was looking for.

I happen to have IMR 4895, 4350 and 4759 on hand.

Corbi

Boolit Master
    there can be reasons to HP --I want to is one-- to lighten the boolit, to shift the center of the boolit- -but I want to works fine-- they are fun to work with and do not have to be blitz boolits unless you choose to
    have fun HP if you choose- either way can work or fail it is up to us to make them work

I have used this bullet in both the whelan and the 35 rem ,both have taken deer with no particular problem .as cast with ww gc and 2percent tin added .also tried the hollowpoint with half ww andhalf pure lead .It performed perfectly on a large doe at about sixty yards.looked like the earth swallowed her up at the shot. that was in the whelan at about 1800 fps . So its your choice both work, I love the cast bullet!

Boolit Buddy
    Well done.Now I wish I didn't sell my Arg.Mauser.I love the caliber choice.Great pictures.I have been looking for a old action/gun to re-do just this month.I have the old Lyman/Mauser peep that mounts to the bolt release.Like seeing the cart.in the stripper clip.
    Knowledge shall forever govern ignorance!

I see what I am hunting just coming off the "GRILL"!

It is not a measure of moral health to be well adjusted in a sick society!
    Jules

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast