RepackboxRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionWideners
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading

Thread: I have a knife Question.

Boolit Master

I have a knife Question.

I went to an auction Saturday that had a bunch of shop tools. I was a rainy day so there were not the usual large group that usually shows up for this sort of thing. I got one of the things I have been looking for, a drill press but had to wait after they had gone through the tools and and large equipment since I was parked pretty far back and didn't want to lug the drill press all the way to the car. They started selling smaller miscellaneous stuff and this knife came up, to make a long story short I bought it for $2.00. I has a good edge on it now, I think it is hand made and is Damascus steel. Are you supposed to do anything special when sharpening, or taking care of a knife like this? Please excuse the quality of the pictures.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 001.JPG   004.JPG  
    Ed Barrett
    AKA; elbStJoeMO
    If vegans love animal so much, why do they eat all their food?

Boolit Master
    very prone to rusting so you'll need to keep it oiled, don't know if requires something special but I think the stuff in the little red and white plastic bottle will work best.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I think that is one of the Pakistani reproductions. Sharpen it up, and use it!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Weddle View Post
    Looks like a good kitchen knife or can be used as a all around knife and it's Damaskus.
    Heck of a deal for $2!
    How long is the blade?
    It might make a good belt knife, make a scabbard for it.

Sharpen it on a wet stone & watch some methods on YouTube.
    The blade is 5 3/4 inches long.
    Ed Barrett
    AKA; elbStJoeMO

Boolit Master
    Use it....keep it sharp, clean, and oiled.

Banned
    Nice lookin knife I'll give you 2.50 for it right now///////////////////////////////////////

i'm with waksupi on this one , i cant see the entire handle but it looks just like the ummm higher dollar version of the " roach belly " , is the handle bone perchance ?

this site does have a sheath for it if your's didnt come with it

http://www.crazycrow.com/mm5/merchan...de=841-460-200
    Je suis Charlie

" To sit in judgment of those things which you perceive to be wrong or imperfect is to be one more person who is part of judgment, evil or imperfection."
    Wayne Dyer
    if it was easy would it be as worthy ? or as long of lasting impression ? the hardest of lessons are the best of teachers [shrugz]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLzFhOslZPM

Boolit Master
    It looks like a bowie knife from an old Dixie Gun Works catalog I had....Searles Bowie?

Boolit Buddy
    What ever you do don't store it in a leather sheath. A leather sheath will cause it to rust. Keep it oiled.

It is damascus steel. If it is good quality damascus it should be around 57RC in hardness which will give you good service for edge holding. Sharpen it as you would any other knife. The fact it is made of low & high carbon steel does mean it will rust very easy if not cared for. If you use it for the kitchen or dressing out game animals, clean it good after use and dry it then wipe on a thin coat of mineral oil on the blade to prevent rust. Mineral oil is bio-gradeable and will not harm food items or leave a bad after taste as other oils will.

Boolit Master

I bid $5.00. I need a spare belt knife. ;>) Plus shipping..........
    Lewis AKA Wright Brothers Gunsmiths

"Illegitimus non carborundum"

Political Correctness: A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t*rd by the clean end!

Boolit Master

Nice lookin knife I'll give you 2.50 for it right now///////////////////////////////////////
    You guys are cheap. I'll give him six dollars for it right now.

Boolit Master

That's it exactly. It did come with sheath with the pattern at the top. They show it on sale for about $40 so I guess I got a pretty good deal. I used my diamond hones and put an edge on it, didn't try shaving with it but I think I could.

Quote Originally Posted by fryboy View Post
    i'm with waksupi on this one , i cant see the entire handle but it looks just like the ummm higher dollar version of the " roach belly " , is the handle bone perchance ?

this site does have a sheath for it if your's didnt come with it

http://www.crazycrow.com/mm5/merchan...de=841-460-200
    Ed Barrett
    AKA; elbStJoeMO

Quote Originally Posted by EDK View Post
    It looks like a bowie knife from an old Dixie Gun Works catalog I had....Searles Bowie?
    NOT even close

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KE6701.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	14.2 KB 
ID:	78401

The above is the finest steel made, Damascus might have been 1000 years ago.

sharpen, oil, & use the heck out of it

Or sell to me for $9.99!
    I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010001.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	41.8 KB 
ID:	78424

This is a Searles Bowie I have.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Banned
    You are right Gary I am almost ashamed I'll see yours and raise one 7.00 US //////////////////////////////// By the way it is a real nice looking knife and a really good deal too.

Boolit Master

Why diddle around,let's go to $15 cash or all the brass I can stuff into a MFR box. Need a rattle snake? Need any mesquite beans?
    Pewter? Machine work?
    Lewis AKA Wright Brothers Gunsmiths

"Illegitimus non carborundum"

Political Correctness: A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t*rd by the clean end!

Banned
    How about twenty bucks and a pet alligator that will fetch sticks for ya.

Boolit Master

You guys are starting to tempt me with your bids, but I think I'll hang on to it. I buy a good Buck or a Shraede and I lose it in a week, a cheap knife sticks to me like glue.
    Ed Barrett
    AKA; elbStJoeMO

I know those blades as a roach belly knife. That one looks really nice and will give you alot of good service. Get a whole chicken, cut it up and debone it with that knife, and you'll know how nice that knife will do in the field. You will be pleased for sure ..........
    Ohio Rusty ><>
    "This is America !!, where many have fought and died for our right
    to celebrate our views with inflatable creatures in our yards ......."