Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2RepackboxLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyWideners
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading

Thread: Primer type for powder type??

Boolit Man

Primer type for powder type??

Would using a L pistol primer with unique,or any typical handgun powder,in rifle cases,be generally better than using a L rifle primer in same?

thanks

B

Boolit Master

as a rule you should never use a pistol primer in a rifle cartridge as the pressures in Rifles are usually much higher and the primer cup in pistol primers is thinner and not designed to hold the pressures that Rifle primers are. If you loads are light enough and you aren't generating more pressure than found in a pistol then it would probably be ok. However It doesn't sound to me like a very safe practice. and one what could bite you if your not careful.

also there is a difference in lengths of rifle primers and pistol primers. One could sit proud and cause a slam fire... dont really remember which way around it is. BE CAREFUL

Boolit Master
    To finish on what 3006 was saying, in the "large" size of primers, pistol primers are shorter than rifle primers, so they will be seated in the case further. If you do get them to go off and fire quite a few, many that have done it before will tell you that the primers backing out will eventually peen a dent around your firing pin. I personally see no point in pushing my luck since LR and LP primers cost the same here.

Now when it comes to the small size, rifle and pistol have the exact same dimensions, and have been substituted both ways successfully. In fact many of the smaller rifle cases react better to a small pistol primer than a more powerful small rifle. There are also those that say the CCI SPM and SR primers are exactly the same, and use them with no problems either way.
    Raisin' Black Angus cows, outta gas, outta money, outta tags, low on boolits, but full 'a hope on the Rocky Mountain Eastern Slope!
    Why does a man with a 7mag never panic buy? Because a man with a 7mag has no need to panic!

"If you ain't shootin', you should be reloadin' if you ain't reloadin' you should be movin', if you ain't movin', somebody's gonna come by and cut your head off and put it on a stick!" Words to fight by, from Clint Smith

Other than the mechanical issue (LP will have to be seated deeper into the rifle case than normal, and if it is seated flush, you may need two strikes by the rifle firing pin), there will be no difference in trying to go down to a LPP in a rifle case when using pistol powders. The powder will light up so quickly that the additional (or lower) brisance will make no significant difference in MV or pressures. I'm assuming you are talking about "the load" type of charge weights in a rifle case.

Now if you had no LRP's and are only plinking with the rifle, you can get by with LPP's in the case as long as you ensure the primers are seated firmly (meaning below the face of the case) into the rifle case.

Boolit Master

Most all of my cast loads work just fine with lp primers. I've used them for the past ten years and never had a problem. This is in 308, 7.5X55, 45/70 and 358 Winchester.
    Marty-hiding out in the hills.

Boolit Man
    I was thinking maybe there would be something more erratic in firing rifle primers on handgun powders,in reduced rifle loads.
    Something like when using magnum primers when its not needed,maybe that would cause higher standard deviation numbers?
    Some of the BP shooters were doing this if i recall,but that was BP.

Boolit Master
    I use large pistol primers in all my 30-30 cast boolit loads that use pistol type powder such as Bullseye, Unique and 2400.Never had a problem and usually have a little better accuracy with the pistol primers over the rifle primers most times..............Terry

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by TCFAN View Post
    I use large pistol primers in all my 30-30 cast boolit loads that use pistol type powder such as Bullseye, Unique and 2400.Never had a problem and usually have a little better accuracy with the pistol primers over the rifle primers most times..............Terry
    Yes, this works well, as it's fairly low pressure.

Sometimes, pistol primers are the right route for rifle ammo, when the pressures are low. The downsides to using them are not usually going to turn up, as they are pressure related.