Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRepackboxLoad Data
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2

Thread: .32 S&W short round ball?

Boolit Mold

.32 S&W short round ball?

Is there any reason why you can't hold round ball into a cartridge? I understand this may be a stupid or an often asked question but I am new to this forum. I have a Pietta Remington pocket revolver and for reloading was wanting to know if using a Roundball makes any sense or not for reloads. Also wanted to know if anybody had cast source for conical for this round?
    Thanks in advance

Boolit Master
    Yes, I do it all time. In both my .32 magnum, .45 ACP 1858 Remington (Kirst Konversion) and my .38 special. For me they seem to work best with "Mouse Fart" loads 600 to 700 FPS! I tumble lube them in ALOX. Accuracy is acceptable for 20 yards give or take.

I have even smashed buck shot into tiny cylinders and loaded 2 at a time in the .32 magnum, it's fun @ the range to shoot six and place 12 holes in the target! the guy in the next stall always has a funny look on his face.
    My hero's have always been Cowboys!

Boolit Master
    Here these are currently on back-order, but I have shot them with great success!

.32 Caliber 70 Grain Buffalo Ball-ets Black Powder Muzzleloader Bullet Box of 50
    http://www.buffaloarms.com/Muzzleloa....aspx?CAT=5582
    My hero's have always been Cowboys!

Boolit Buddy
    .315 rb will work in .32s&w

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    1 grain of Bullseye with single-0 buckshot or. 315 to. 320 roundball, push flush with case mouth wipe a half pea-sized dab of Crisco or waterpump grease over the ball.

Boolit Master
    I agree about the .315 RB in the .32 S&W short.

These types of loads (in various calibers) are one of the few things I'll use Tumble lube for. if using with BP use a pretty good helping of the tumble lube.

If using black powder for the load, fill the case about 3/16" shy of the mouth, and press the ball in until the major diameter is inside the case (this provides just a touch of compression) and then load and shoot.

Using tools I made myself as a 12 year old, this load with this cartridge was the very first thing I ever reloaded.

These days, I have a decent supply of .32 S&W balloon head brass that I use for BP loading.

ETA:

Not really a conical, but the Lee 93 grain RN .32 bullet can be loaded in the .32 S&W case with decent results.
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Boolit Grand Master

I'm using buckshot and 1.2gr Bullseye for mine. I've found that the buckshot is inconsistent in size so I run them back up into the sizing die a little to get a uniform size. They chamber well in my little H&R top-break that way. Lot of fun firing it. The guys at the range came over to make sure the ball got through the target backing! No problem - I wouldn't want to catch one of those balls.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for all the feedback so far. I have 300 rounds of Magtech .32 S&W that should arrive via UPS tomorrow and have secured several hundred rounds each of .315, .319 and .321 round balls along with a couple thousand small pistol primers. The Lee reloading dies are still on a back order from Midway unless I can find then elsewhere. Currently have a Pietta 1863 Pocket with brass froame as I have not been able to find one in steel frame as of yet. Going to pay and put one on priority back order soon from FC Sutlery after talking with them today. Has anyone had issues or consider it an issue shooting these loads with a brass frame in this revolver. Would think the pressures wouldn't be pushing it enough but don't know first hand. I understand the brass frame restrictions in the .44/45.
    Last edited by Edcknives; 07-10-2013 at 05:42 PM.

Boolit Mold
    I just bought a bunch of .32 S&W brass and some 98gn wadcutter bullets that I am going to try loading with FFFg black powder. Thought I would also try them with my .32 S&W Long once fired brass. Also going to load the .32 S&W brass with a .312 round ball. It should be fun.

Boolit Grand Master

I have an old H&R top break that I use the Lee 93gr RN in sized .314". Shoots well with 1.2gr of 700X.

I have been coating my boolits with the HI-Tek lube/coating and thought this would make a very good coating for the roundballs and buckshot.
    I have one of the old tiny brass molds for my 36 cal. bp revolver and thought about loading these in a 410 shell. Should be able to get 2 in the wad.

Boolit Master
    I have a couple 32 S&W top break pistols, 2 boxes of ammo, and a die set. But the way I shoot them I think my heirs will be using the die set and the brass..... those pistols just don't get much work.

However, if you really need a hideout gun when you can't wear much in the way of concealment clothes, well, they sure shine for that.
    Paul

Boolit Master
    I mostly use a 77gr. RN in mine(a Marlin & a S&W). So far it works very well. Also looks more like the factory loads that I have.
    swamp
    Last edited by swamp; 07-17-2013 at 10:24 AM. Reason: spelling

Boolit Man
    I am new to this whole BPCR thing but I have been taking 32S&W cases and filling about 2/3 full of fffg and seating a .310 ball flush with the top of the case and pouring melted pure bees wax to cap the case. I know .310 is a little small but it's what I had on hand and seems to group well. I use any die the case will fit in to deprime as no sizing is necessary. I did pick up a used set of Lee 32S&W long dies yesterday that will size and flair the case if you put a spacer under the cap of the thru powder die but they will not crimp. I am loading for a H&R break top ca.1887-1904, the brass is Magtech that I shot through my H&R 732 and unsized they fit in the break top, I ran 5 through the sizing die last night and it seemed like a drastic and needless working of the brass.

Boolit Master

Attachment 76989 You could buy the mould and cast this .32 bullet designed for BP, available at www.biglube.com

Or buy them from www.whyteleatherworks.com

Boolit Mold
    A lot of great replies here. Thanks all for the input so far.
    Last edited by Edcknives; 07-27-2013 at 08:38 PM.

Boolit Master
    When I remember, it's always good to wet the bore with a lite coat of grease or Crisco on a patch before firing.
    No leading and helps cleanup.

I've been known to load rb in lots of guns i put a grease cookie under em. My favorite rb load is 3 balls and 30 grns of h322 in a 45-70 case
    Those who would trade freedom for safety deserves neither and will lose both