Load DataWidenersRepackboxTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruger All American stock

Boolit Grand Master

Ruger All American stock

My buddy bought an All American Ruger .270 win. Nothing wrong with the action/barrel. I kind of like it. The stock, however, is very flimsy plastic. Shaped nicely and light enough to make it an easy carry. We were wondering if anybody makes a drop-in glass or wood stock. It has acceptable accuracy, but barely. A stiff stock might make it a better shooter. Anybody know of a stock for this new Ruger?

Boolit Grand Master
    They have their place, but I'm a wood kind of guy, or at least a well formed, glass reinforced deal. This Ruger is very flimsy. Still looking for a replacement company or even a duplicating company.

The old trick for plastic stocks is to fill them with foam. Using an aerosol can for home improvement.
    If it's black I'd need to spray some color of paint on it.

Boolit Grand Master
    Thanks, fellas,

Quote Originally Posted by 725 View Post
    Thanks, fellas,

Please post what route your friend takes regarding the stock. I have a 270Win American with digi camo stock head my way. Guns is for my son so he doesn't run off with my Springfield Sporty 06.

BB

Boolit Bub
    My brother has one in 308 and the stock is chessy. He would like to replace it also. Let us know how things work out.

Boolit Master
    Is the Ruger stocked molded like the Savage axis pieces? Does it have voids that you can fill with epoxy to stiffen it up? My Axis was real sensitive to where you would rest the forend when shooting for groups before I stiffened it with epoxy.

I just purchased a Ruger American in .308 for use as a truck gun. I've got several good quality .308s from Winchester Model 70 Featherweight to Armalite AR-10T. For 30-06 I've got a Parker Hale 1200, M1 Garand, an 03-A3 and Ruger model 77. I purchased the Ruger American because of the price and the light stock. For me the gun is only 6 lbs and still shoots .6 MOA groups and has a stock that I don't have to worry about scratching. I own my own pest control company and carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II but felt I needed a long rifle that would travel with me every place I go.
    Life member NRA since 1983

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imag...113199d940.png

"I'll cling to my God and my guns, and you can keep the "Change".

Boolit Master
    The RUGER American is what it is, a budget entry level rifle that simply shoots GREAT!!!!

At some point I may open the barrel channel just a touch, likely about the time I lighten the trigger a tad, but this rifle shoots so very well, and showed me a very good hunting load so quickly, I'm not in the market for a replacement stock.

Maybe the buyers should have put out a bit more in the dollar department if this great rifle was not up to their expectations, but I wish that every other much more expensive rifle I've had would shoot so well and show me it's good side so quickly.

With the bedding system employed in the American, that may be an issue in stock replacement.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

I'll be cutting a slot into the compartmentalized, hollow, forend and glass bedding a piece of drill rod in place to stiffen up mine without adding a bunch of weigh to it. It shoots outstanding on its own, just would prefer a more rigid forend. Doubtful you will ever find an aftermarket stock with the precision bedding/recoil lug V-blocks molded in or mounted correctly.

Boolit Master
    Sounds like a good plan BABore!

CDOC

Boolit Grand Master
    Still shopping around for him. I like BABore's plan.

Boolit Master
    My "06" American "loaner rifle" just shoots so very well, I'll likely not be messing with the stock to any great degree.

Maybe second sling stud if I want to install a bipod.

The young hunter I have been mentoring the last year of so took the "06" out this past Sunday afternoon and drew it's first blood.

Sorry I wasn't there, but guess it was one shot and down went his first deer. Whitetail doe.

That 165gr Hornady Interlock really shoots well in that rifle!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Boolit Master

I am not a lover of plastic stocks but todays price of really good wood(straight, tight grained) has put them to the forefront. Many years ago I bought one of those flimsy plastic things and it would twist in your hand with very little pressure. I have had similar problems with replace wood stock because I really shave them down light and if they have the compartments to save weight, they are too thin to last. I use the same method to stiffen them that you can use for the plastic stocks. Save your old lifter rods from rebuilding yours car engines. Cut them to the proper length and use them in the glass. Did I say that I am a cheap ol dinosaur. james

Boolit Master
    I bought my American in .308WIN and its a shooter. Its not in my higher end rifle class but for a 6lb rifle its a shooter. I'm doing about 3" at 300y now with 165s.

When I got mine home I disassembled and cleaned. The inside of the stock isnt too bad really compared to the Mossberg 4x4 or Savis Axis. Same compartment idea but with two nice alluminum V blocks that you can crank on to seat the action. I torqued mine to high spec but it came from factory with everything tite.

I'm fairly sure I can get this rifle to .75 MOA with another 100 rounds down the tube and some minor tweaking. I'm thinking thats max however that can be expected from a light weight budget rifle. If you want more rifle for the same buck get a used mauser style action with decent barrel and worn stock. Some time, sandpaper, lemmon oil, new recoil pad, cold blue, etc. you can have a nicer rifle for the same money.

I bought mine as an lightweight alternative rifle and am very pleased.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BABore View Post
    I'll be cutting a slot into the compartmentalized, hollow, forend and glass bedding a piece of drill rod in place to stiffen up mine without adding a bunch of weigh to it. It shoots outstanding on its own, just would prefer a more rigid forend. Doubtful you will ever find an aftermarket stock with the precision bedding/recoil lug V-blocks molded in or mounted correctly.
    That's exactly the same thing I did with my Axis stock. I also used a 40 watt soldering iron on the interior sides pressing it in melting it and causing protrusions so the epoxy had something to hold on to. Picture a bunch of small 1/4 inch bumps pointing inwards and that's basically how it looked before I added the epoxy.Turned out nice but did make it a little front heavy compared to the factory piece.

Boolit Master
    I realize this is just an Ol"Coot's opinion, but WHY??????????

These rifles shoot great in most cases, the forearm IS ridged enough to prevent barrel to stock contact while shooting from the bench/bags, and unless a person puts un-due torque on the forend while in the field - or on the bench - there will not be an issue.

So the fore end is not rock solid, soooooooo?

The rifle is what it is, a very accurate entry level rifle with a good action bedding system.

Were I to see negative barrel to stock contact, I'd simply do as with any other rifle, open the barrel channel a tad.

This likely, because of the stock design, needing to be done only at the top of the barrel groove and then only slightly.

So again "WHY"?

Let us hear what if any negative issues other then simply, "I don't like it," this forearm has caused.

If such issues are really out there, let us hear the what, why and how so we know what to watch for.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Crusty Deary Ol'Coot View Post
    I realize this is just an Ol"Coot's opinion, but WHY??????????

These rifles shoot great in most cases, the forearm IS ridged enough to prevent barrel to stock contact while shooting from the bench/bags, and unless a person puts un-due torque on the forend while in the field - or on the bench - there will not be an issue.

So the fore end is not rock solid, soooooooo?

The rifle is what it is, a very accurate entry level rifle with a good action bedding system.

Were I to see negative barrel to stock contact, I'd simply do as with any other rifle, open the barrel channel a tad.

This likely, because of the stock design, needing to be done only at the top of the barrel groove and then only slightly.

So again "WHY"?

Let us hear what if any negative issues other then simply, "I don't like it," this forearm has caused.

If such issues are really out there, let us hear the what, why and how so we know what to watch for.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
    My response from an earlier post in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Jailer View Post
    Is the Ruger stocked molded like the Savage axis pieces? Does it have voids that you can fill with epoxy to stiffen it up? My Axis was real sensitive to where you would rest the forend when shooting for groups before I stiffened it with epoxy.

Boolit Master
    Thanks Jailer.

To this point, have seen nothing like that with the RUGER American.

CDOC

Boolit Master
    That's good, at least they got that part of it right. They seem to be a very good gun for what they are.