Titan ReloadingRepackboxLoad DataReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyWidenersInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision RotoMetals2

Thread: 9mm in 410?

Boolit Bub

9mm in 410?

Ok, here is a crazy idea that might just work... Has anyone ever thought of loading a 410 shotshell with a cast 9mm bullet. I have cast 124 grain bullets and they seem to fit just fine in a standard winchester 410 wad. I know this is pretty out there but hey, im sure someone out there has tried it. Any thoughts

Boolit Master
    Well here are my thoughts... A cast 9mm is only marginally bigger than a single "00" buck ball. If you are shooting it out of a smooth bore it will probably be less effective than the 3 or 5 pellet "00" buck loads out there.
    "I don't want men who miss." -Capt. Leander H. McNelly

Boolit Bub
    Could you load 2? A couple hollowpoints could be interesting...

I use a ranchdog 9x18 bullet (.367" dia.) on top of three balls inside a winchester wad sitting atop a charge of 2400 and roll crimped via my drill press. I won't list my data as it has not been pressure tested, but I'm still here! .

Boolit Bub
    I made a .410 air shotgun on a qb-78 frame a long while ago and used cut down 410 wads as sabots for 35 cal lead balls. Worked pretty dang well. Rang the 12" gong at 100 yards
    "There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines. Marines and those who have met them in battle. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion."
    General William Thornson, USA

Boolit Master
    Sell the .410 and put that money towards a real rifle.

I tried loading .358 158g wadcutters positioned backwards in a 410 shotcup. Minute of pie plate at 25 yards, which is about the same accuracy I get with a 410 smoothbore shooting either federal or Winchester foster slugs.

BB

Or do a couple mods to a std. .410 and have a small scale smoothbore slugger:

http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/hr-shot...ter-is-finito/

*edit*
    buddy has a bunch of .41 mag bullets he's going to let me play with to try making some full bore slugs. 8) Going to fire form some 9.3x74r brass to make some heavier duty slug loads.

0.355" to 0.358" diameter bullets both cast and jacketed can certainly be used inside of 410-bore plastic shot-wads using the wad as a sabot (snip the petals down to the right length to fit the lenth of the bullet and make a nice neat sabot and use filler wads underneath it over the powder). A single wad-cutter either a DEWC or a HBWC works surprisingly well as a slug load out of a smooth bore and believe it or not a shorter length 140 to 148 grain DEWC often will pattern more accurately then a HBWC but both will start to spread and key-hole if you are shooting far enough out but you will usually get a nice tight pattern of nice round holes out to at least 25-yards using that kind of set-up. Other boolit shapes can be used but they are often less accurate and out of a smooth bore are usually best loaded inside the wad backwards rather then forwards.

A more devastating close up load can be made by loading two cast lead 148gr. DEWC inside of a 410-bore shot wad with a little bit of buffer under the bottom boolit and then on top of it between it and the top boolit inside the wad and then load that combination using 11/16oz. lead shot load data BUT in order for that to work you have to run the boolits through a 348-Winchester boolit sizer die to reduce their diameter by a hundredth of an inch to bring the bore constriction friction down otherwise the load will be too hot pushing that much weight. The tighter constriction of using the boolits full size not sized down makes for better accurate loads when only using a single boolit of that type but if you want to use two of them you have to size them down to 0.348" to keep the pressures from spiking.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by turbo1889 View Post
    0.355" to 0.358" diameter bullets both cast and jacketed can certainly be used inside of 410-bore plastic shot-wads using the wad as a sabot (snip the petals down to the right length to fit the lenth of the bullet and make a nice neat sabot and use filler wads underneath it over the powder). A single wad-cutter either a DEWC or a HBWC works surprisingly well as a slug load out of a smooth bore and believe it or not a shorter length 140 to 148 grain DEWC often will pattern more accurately then a HBWC but both will start to spread and key-hole if you are shooting far enough out but you will usually get a nice tight pattern of nice round holes out to at least 25-yards using that kind of set-up. Other boolit shapes can be used but they are often less accurate and out of a smooth bore are usually best loaded inside the wad backwards rather then forwards.

A more devastating close up load can be made by loading two cast lead 148gr. DEWC inside of a 410-bore shot wad with a little bit of buffer under the bottom boolit and then on top of it between it and the top boolit inside the wad and then load that combination using 11/16oz. lead shot load data BUT in order for that to work you have to run the boolits through a 348-Winchester boolit sizer die to reduce their diameter by a hundredth of an inch to bring the bore constriction friction down otherwise the load will be too hot pushing that much weight. The tighter constriction of using the boolits full size not sized down makes for better accurate loads when only using a single boolit of that type but if you want to use two of them you have to size them down to 0.348" to keep the pressures from spiking.
    Hi Turbo, I've already done slug reloads for my 12ga using the Lee 7/8oz keydrive slug and my 20ga Lymans 350gr sabot slug whereby using the standard shot-load wads, so now wanting to do my own slug loads using cast bullets for my Mossberg 500 .410 shotgun.

I wasn't interested in buying 410 ammo and then cutting it open to drain the shot load and push in a bullet, since I have the Mec 600jr reloader and 165lbs of soft lead for my shotgun slug loads.

I just bought the Svarog Match (sabot) slug mold for the 410 shotgun and should be delivered here within about 4 weeks coming from Russia. The specifications/measurements for this Svarog 410 bullet are as follows:

Head diameter 10.4 mm ............. 0.409 inch

Bullet height 11.8 mm ............. 0.464 inch

Bullet weight 7.6 grams (117gr) ............. 0.267 ounce

and so this doesn't require a wad for it to fit into since it's sized to fit the bore of the 410 shotgun, but I was more interested in a 9mm bullet that fits into the standard 410 wads in order to make reloading my shells a bit easier than trying to figure out all the components for this Svarog cast bullet mold whereby coming from Russia there is VERY little to NO load data/recipes that I can find, and the popular slug reloading suplpy sites, like Ballistic Products, mostly has load data for their own special slugs and wads, which yeah that can help me narrow down the load recipe for my Svarog cast bullet, but it still makes it difficult enough that I would rather try using the 9mm bullet in a standard 410 wad

I see you posted this comment back in 2013 and so any new personal know-how and/or direct links of yours to this specific load data/recipes would be a big help!

Turbo has not been active on this site for several years.

BB

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerbeans View Post
    Turbo has not been active on this site for several years.

BB
    Thanks for the heads-up

I went to his profile and seen the option for searching a user's last known threads and posts, and lookin like Turbo hasn't been active on this site since 2014

Boolit Master
    If your "payload" is slightly over 1/4 ounce, I don't know what data you could possible use for extrapolation. Is that 117 gr. slug the only thing you'll put inside the .410 hull? I've never reloaded shot shells, so I'm in uncharted territory. If there's room for both, I guess you could load one of those slugs atop one 000 buck pellet & use 1/2 oz. starting data. If there's room for another 000 buck pellet, your "payload" would be .597 oz., which is somewhat under 11/16 oz.
    Just musing aloud, really, so if what I'm suggesting flies in the face of known and "to-be-always-observed" tenets of shotshell reloading, forgive me.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Kosh75287 View Post
    If your "payload" is slightly over 1/4 ounce, I don't know what data you could possible use for extrapolation. Is that 117 gr. slug the only thing you'll put inside the .410 hull? I've never reloaded shot shells, so I'm in uncharted territory. If there's room for both, I guess you could load one of those slugs atop one 000 buck pellet & use 1/2 oz. starting data. If there's room for another 000 buck pellet, your "payload" would be .597 oz., which is somewhat under 11/16 oz.
    Just musing aloud, really, so if what I'm suggesting flies in the face of known and "to-be-always-observed" tenets of shotshell reloading, forgive me.
    If I go with the 117gr cast slug or use the 9mm cast bullet, either one will be the only one in the hull, and even if either slug/bullet is a pinch over or under a load data's recipe for shot-shell loads, it wont hurt anything when I'm just using these rounds for my wife's home defense Mossberg 410 pump and for us making some noise and putting holes in old junk down in the back yard. So since we're not using the reloads for hunting or competition shooting, accuracy is not a huge factor... we'll be mainly using the shells for probably a 100ft and under, but yes I would still like to find a load recipe that produces the most accurate results

Pistol Boolits will not fly strait. They will tumble. They kind of need Rifling to spin them.

Find some Round Balls, they won't care about spinning and will give you the best accuracy of anything you could come up with.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com