Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
WidenersSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gas check?

Probably cut his strips on the thin side trying to save material. That would cause a nock every time.

Boolit Bub
    It's just the nature of the beast with the freechex iii. You obviously want a check that is perfect, but that minor notch does not affect anything. When seated on, that notch smooths out. I've also noticed on mine that the checks made with the freechex iii are taller then my Hornady copper checks and actually fill the entire shank. So while the notch might be there, just think for the depth of the notch, you are getting 99% more material all around the boolit that would not be there on a Hornady check.

Boolit Bub
    Making your own gas checks is interesting. I've been casting for many years but have always bought gas checks. Lots to learn here!

Boolit Master

I make my own 0.01" aluminum checks for PB and will get the shown defect if I don't advance the strip enough. When I crimp one of the notched checks it will wrinkle at the notch and it may come loose in handling. Since I make my own I just throw out my notched checks.

The 1K I got (.22cal) look like the ones above ..... Not exactly what I was expecting .... will try some the first of next week ...

I have both the Pat Marlin and the Freechex tools and both work extremely well. With the Freechex it is imperative to get the strip of material flushly aligned against the back of the cutting slot. If not, then the check will not be formed completely as shown in your picture. Although the check doesn't look cosmetically correct it will still perform superbly, or at least it has for me. One must develop a certain "feel" when aligning the material into the slot to insure that correct cut. I don't think any amount of instructions can give you the feel that it takes to find that "flush" spot before cutting the check. IMHO
    314th Air Divsion
    20th Tactical Air Support Squadron
    RVN 67-68 & 68-69

Personal and Up "Close Air Support"

Banned

I would reject them and ask for the maker to make good on them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12