Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading Everything
Load DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Wideners Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Malware and other computer junk files

Boolit Master

Malware and other computer junk files

A little while ago I posted about problems I had with the bizcoaching virus/malware. Got a lot of help here and got it cleared out of my computer (I think). I was still having problems so I did a closer check of my system. Turns out I had several other problem files, including Playtopus, mPlayer, and uninstall helper. I checked the dates and all of the files were loaded on my computer at the same day. I uninstalled every one of them and went through several iterations of removing all traces of them from the system using multiple software packages.

Turns out they were all installed at the same time as a program called Yahoo toolbar. Apparently they piggybacked on that. Don't recall ever installing that program, but that's the way it is. That's the only thing I haven't been able to uninstall. Any help with that?

Sorry, I didn't get it from a link here which I originally thought, apologies to all.

In Remembrance
    I'm sure I'm going to confuse you even further with this. Most if not all attempts at removing those pesky files I had to do in safe mode, even had to get into the system registry to either delete them or change the value.

As a side note, I completely erase my hard drive once in a while to start fresh, chaps my *** that things are put into my computer without my knowledge or consent and to make it easier on myself I went with the complete erase method.

Some files change there name so they're much harder to detect, I hate that BS.....
    Click to see what I'm doing and have available, this takes you to the VS (Vendor Sponsor) section of the site. Currently..25Rem,30Rem, 32Rem, 35Rem, 257Roberts, 358Win, 338Fed, 357 Herrett, 30 Herrett, 401 Winchester, 300Sav, 221 Fireball, 260Rem, 222Rem, 250 Savage, 8mm Mauser (AKA 8x57), 25-20WCF

Annealing Services

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/foru...php?117-Grumpa

Quote Originally Posted by GRUMPA View Post
    As a side note, I completely erase my hard drive once in a while to start fresh.....
    I've done that too, but was told it's like shaving an onion and you're killing your computer.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by theperfessor View Post
    A little while ago I posted about problems I had with the bizcoaching virus/malware. Got a lot of help here and got it cleared out of my computer (I think). I was still having problems so I did a closer check of my system. Turns out I had several other problem files, including Playtopus, mPlayer, and uninstall helper. I checked the dates and all of the files were loaded on my computer at the same day. I uninstalled every one of them and went through several iterations of removing all traces of them from the system using multiple software packages.

Turns out they were all installed at the same time as a program called Yahoo toolbar. Apparently they piggybacked on that. Don't recall ever installing that program, but that's the way it is. That's the only thing I haven't been able to uninstall. Any help with that?

Sorry, I didn't get it from a link here which I originally thought, apologies to all.
    I have used **** cleaner
    h t tp://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

install and go to tools

the last time my FIL brought me his lap top (free software)

Hope it works

You may want to use this also http://housecall.trendmicro.com/ do a complete scan.
    Moderating is a responsibility not a privilege, abuse your power and you lose, no matter how powerful you may think you are.

In Remembrance
    Jackson County, Choctaw Nation, Indian Territory
    JMHO, yahoo is malware.
    Another good malware program is MalwareBytes. It is free.
    As GRUMPA mentioned, safe mode is the best way to find and remove malware. Nearly all malware and antivirus programs will work in safe mode.
    You didn't mention what AntiVirus you are running, but some are malware/viruses themselves.
    Those who fail to study history are doomed to repeat it.

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity”. Sigmund
    Freud

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by theperfessor View Post
    Turns out they were all installed at the same time as a program called Yahoo toolbar. Apparently they piggybacked on that. Don't recall ever installing that program, but that's the way it is.
    It is frequently the case that you will be advised (automatically) to upgrade or update a piece of legitimate software that you are using. Examples of that might be Adobe Flash, or Adobe Reader, but there are many other possibilities.

When the 'new' files have finished downloading, you are (usually) asked if you want to proceed with the install ... and there is often a block already checked to install 'something else' at the same time.

That something else could be the Yahoo Toolbar, or it might be an entirely new browser like Google Chrome.
    You don't need 'the addition' to complete the upgrade/update, so just uncheck the box(es).
    The possibilities are endless, and you just have to look the window over carefully before clicking on Continue (or whatever).

That's the only thing I haven't been able to uninstall. Any help with that?
    I use Internet Explorer, so what I see is (probably) only 'similar' to what you see.
    But, under a menu item such as Tools (or something similar) you should have the ability to disable any toolbar that is active on your browser. Once disabled, you may even be able to uninstall it.

CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Grand Master

+1 on Montana Charlie's point about the "checked box" to install the toolbar or
    Google Chrome. Read every page closely during an update.

That is probably where you got the Yahoo toolbar.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master

Thanks CM I'll try that. Maybe that is why it wouldn't uninstall.

Worst case I'll just delete Firefox completely and reinstall it.

Boolit Grand Master

See if there isn't a way to list the "browser helper objects" on Firfox. These
    are often useful tools like pdf readers or pic viewers, but this is where these
    PITA toolbars often are installed and can be turned off at least, if not uninstalled.

There may also be a setting to lock out new browser helpers without your
    approval.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

For help with uninstalling most anything, Google is your friend.
    Go to https://www.google.com/ type in the search box ? how to uninstall ------ (use name of object in place of hyphens). pick a result, follow directions.
    Casting, Reloading & Shooting

Boolit Master

Ccleaner has the startup folder and the uninstall utility , look in extensions and turn off there on your browser and there should be an option to shut it down , I have seen yahoo install itself as the search engine several times after updating different programs , did not ask to install itself it just did , all toolbars are not needed and usually contain malware same as free screensavers spybot will rid your system of a lot of the junk and malwarebytes also .

Some malware can extremely hard to kill.

I caught a nasty browser infection once which I just couldn't get rid off. Even the most effecient malware and virus killers couldn't nail it. They would find the offending .exe file alright and delete it, but as soon as the PC was rebooted, a hidden parasite file would poop out a new .exe file. I finally gave up on removing the file and instead opened the .exe file in a hex editor and scrambled the content enough to corrupt the file.

The parasite mother file is still present on my PC, but her spawn is dead! Only the hollow corpse remains and prevents her from spawning a new...
    Cap'n Morgan

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by WILCO View Post
    I've done that too, but was told it's like shaving an onion and you're killing your computer.
    As a computer professional I can assure you this is incorrect. There are a finite number of writes with the USB keys and the new solid state hard drives but with the platter based HD's this really isn't a problem.

You have to watch the install screens very carefully. Companies get paid by the # of installs. My favorite was the 'infected' pop-up that routed all your software to a dead end, nothing would run. And then there was the email 'love bug' that the IT manager opened and infected the corporate system.
    Whatever!

Boolit Man

I used to work in IT... We all hated that stealth install junk. There have been some good ideas mentioned here... The three best ones that have always helped me (and I've had to fix some real bad ones too) are as listed above:
    oneokie = malwarebytes (get it from download.com)
    tryNto = using Google to find specific info on killing something you didn't ask to have installed
    GRUMPA = using "safe mode" to weaken malware enough to permit de-installation/removal

Another one I didn't see mentioned is "HijackThis" This creates a small textfile that will show everything that is auto-loaded into your system. Making one of these "report files" when your system is running great gives you a "I know it worked good with this start-up" report. I usually run a new report every month or two and store them in a backup directory to compare to what is showing up AFTER the computer gets stupid on me. It's for those folks that want a PRO-active approach and not just a RE-active one (kinda like folks that check their fan belts, oil, trans fluid and battery before being stuck on the side of the road).

Boolit Master at heavens range
    I got malware bad, it comes 8 times on email& ect, what should I do. Thanks- Joe

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by smokemjoe View Post
    I got malware bad, it comes 8 times on email& ect, what should I do. Thanks- Joe
    Hire an expert to sanitize your machine, then pay him extra to tell you what you should stop doing.

CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Master

MC gives good advice here, if I really knew what I was doing I wouldn't have been begging for help here. I'm just bright enough to follow basic directions. It might be helpful to be able to identify what virus/malware your computer has. If its a Win machine go to the start button, click on control panel, and then on Programs/Uninstall program. Don't know how to make a list of the items there but if a program isn't one that you recognize from a known manufacturer its probably junk.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by oneokie View Post
    JMHO, yahoo is malware.
    Another good malware program is MalwareBytes. It is free.
    As GRUMPA mentioned, safe mode is the best way to find and remove malware. Nearly all malware and antivirus programs will work in safe mode.
    You didn't mention what AntiVirus you are running, but some are malware/viruses themselves.
    Good advise here. If you don't boot in safe mode, the problem will just reload itself if you are online.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast