Titan ReloadingLoad DataRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionInline FabricationWideners
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: black powder shotgun loads

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by toot View Post
    I for one also think that plastic wad or shot cup fowling is an old wife's tale- because why don't we get any in our high pressure smoke less shotguns??
    Interesting point.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I don't see why you couldn't use 1f grade black powder, the G was added to denote grafite to keep the colonels from sticking together. after all in the day it was the powder used in guns .720 diameter ( 12) gauge or larger. so why not now?

Boolit Bub
    all I ever used in my ML shotguns is plastic shot cups and never saw any sign of plastic fowling in barrels

Boolit Buddy
    I believe that the G was added to denote glazed not graphite. Sometimes during the glazing process graphite is added.

Boolit Buddy
    I was taught that "G" stood for Grade. Fine Grade = FG, Fine Fine Grade = FFG,...

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by toot View Post
    I for one also think that plastic wad or shot cup fowling is an old wife's tale- because why don't we get any in our high pressure smoke less shotguns??
    Well, it is very common in modern smokeless guns. A lot of people maybe just aren't seeing it, aren't paying attention to it or maybe the guns haven't seen a lot of rounds. I have a large collection of double barrel shotguns and I have seen it in several guns. In fact, I just finished cleaning the bores of a recently acquired double barrel and it was a real pain removing the plastic fouling. The worse part is, beneath the fouling there is pitting that could not be seen until the fouling was removed.There is a discussion right now on a double shotgun forum about plastic fouling in modern guns. It has been discussed several times. One of the topics discussed was exactly what I just experienced. Plastic fouling that is not removed on a regular basis can create pitting if moisture managed to get under the plastic and is left to rust. Of course the pitting is less likely to happen if the bores are chrome lined. But the plastic fouling is still there. Just go onto doublegunshop forum and ask if plastic fouling from the wads in smokeless shells is fact or myth.
    As one example, how many of you have shot modern guns where, depending on how many times you shot it in a short period of time, had the barrel/barrels warm to being hot to the touch. There is no way there isn't going to be some plastic residue left behind when the plastic wad is going down a warm/hot bore. One is free to believe what they want, but you are kidding yourself if you think modern shells don't leave behind plastic fouling.
    Last edited by BPJONES; 04-24-2017 at 01:59 PM.

Banned

That is one of the reasons that the original Ed's Red formula has acetone as an ingredient. It hastens plastic fouling removal.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12