Inline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Lee Precision Repackbox

Thread: Leading problems in .40 s&w

Leading problems in .40 s&w

I just started casting boolits for my glock 23. I replaced the factory barrel with a storm lake barrel. The boolits are cast from ww's using a lee 2 cavity mold. Unsized lubed with lee liquid Alox. Te rounds were loaded with 4.3 grains of tight group using Winchester small pistol primers and mixed brass. Vilocity is around 900fps. Te leading occurs in the last 1.5 in of the barrel. The chamber and first 2.5in are not excessively leaded. What would cause this? Any help would be appriciated.

"Te leading occurs in the last 1.5 in of the barrel. The chamber and first 2.5in are not excessively leaded."

running out of lube......
    What bullet?? Different lube.

Slower powder or softer lead, I didn't have much luck with LLA or Recluse in 40.
    Whatever!

"USUALLY" leading in front of the chamber is undersize and leading at the muzzle is lack of lube. I would change lube to start.

Boolit Master
    I'm not a fan of Lee Liquid Alox lube however it does sound like the boolit is running out of lube as it's leading more so in the last part of the barrel. If you also have a bit of leading at the start of the barrel too then you could have a slight bit undersized boolit which could result in hot, expanding gasses from the powder running past the boolit and burning your lube up sooner than if the boolit "fit" the bore. I would pull a loaded boolit and check the very edge of the base of the boolit to ensure your boolit is the intended diameter. If the boolit is the correct diameter I would then try to tumble lube them twice or change to a different lube.

Boolit Grand Master

Add 2% tin to your COWWs, let the cast bullets age 7 - 10 days before use. Follow Lee's directions for LLA including sizing.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master
    My Glock 23 with LLA and two different 170 Lee designs (one tumble the other not) does not lead at all. With my Wolfe barrel, I get minor leading with either. Go figure, the reputed kaboom lead prone barrel is lead free, the proposed traditional lead resistant barrel is not so good.

prs

Thanks for the help. I'm gona start with double lubed first then I'll try a new lube if necessary. I am going to try a few rounds through my factory barrel.I'm curious to see how it perfoms.