Reloading EverythingLoad DataInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxTitan ReloadingWidenersSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: From Russia with swaging bullets

Quote Originally Posted by Nickle View Post
    Dealer, and ammunition manufacturer.
    I never in Russia will be neither the one nor the other.

I do not swage however this thread is very interesting.

Hello Alex, welcome to the forum. Russian military firearms are very popular here in Australia. Mosin Nagant rifles, some Nagant 1895 revolvers. The government does not allow SKS or AK type rifles any more.
    Bulgarian military 7.62x54mm rimmed ammunition is available, $AUD68 for 100.
    http://www.lawranceordnance.com/shot...62_russian.php
    91/30 Mosin rifles range from $AUD350-600, more for the M44 carbines.
    http://usedguns.com.au/Product.aspx?p=16155
    http://usedguns.com.au/Product.aspx?p=19457

Modern Russian rifles available are the Izhmash .308 and the Toz 22lr, the Baikal break-action single shots and double rifles. I had a shot of a Izhmash .308 recently, nice chrome lined bore, rough bolt.
    Last edited by sthwestvictoria; 07-12-2013 at 06:59 PM.
    ars longa, vita brevis

Boolit Master

His government (Australia) doesn't allow Simonovs (SKS) and Kalashnikovs (AK), but mine does. Both mine are semi auto only. 3 Mosin Nagants (M24, M28 and 91/30). Nagant revolver and even a PSL (Romanian "Dragunov"). The PSL uses a long stroke action, so it isn't a real SVD.

Lots of other stuff, some military, some commercial. US and other countries represented.

Quote Originally Posted by sthwestvictoria View Post
    I do not swage however this thread is very interesting.

Hello Alex, welcome to the forum. Russian military firearms are very popular here in Australia. Mosin Nagant rifles, some Nagant 1895 revolvers. The government does not allow SKS or AK type rifles any more.
    Bulgarian military 7.62x54mm rimmed ammunition is available, $AUD68 for 100.
    http://www.lawranceordnance.com/shot...62_russian.php
    91/30 Mosin rifles range from $AUD350-600, more for the M44 carbines.
    http://usedguns.com.au/Product.aspx?p=16155
    http://usedguns.com.au/Product.aspx?p=19457

Modern Russian rifles available are the Izhmash .308 and the Toz 22lr, the Baikal break-action single shots and double rifles. I had a shot of a Izhmash .308 recently, nice chrome lined bore, rough bolt.
    Thank you for the welcome.

Links to the sites evaluated. Prices are very humane. In Russia such money selling models. By the way, in Russia for conversion rifles from army arsenals, removed all means mounting a bayonet.

Well, that is not banned Russian government authorized pitchfork and hatchets.

The factory in Izhevsk in a difficult situation ... with all the resulting product and its quality. Alas ...

Now Russia has a new plant (not ads): www.orsis.com

Time will tell what place they occupy in the market.

His government (Australia) doesn't allow Simonovs (SKS) and Kalashnikovs (AK), but mine does. Both mine are semi auto only. 3 Mosin Nagants (M24, M28 and 91/30). Nagant revolver and even a PSL (Romanian "Dragunov"). The PSL uses a long stroke action, so it isn't a real SVD.

Lots of other stuff, some military, some commercial. US and other countries represented.
    Nickle, You are so delicious telling ... Pity the me, and then saliva choke.

Today shot out here these.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	13 Июль 2013 г.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	64.8 KB 
ID:	76035

Distance of one hundred meters. Those on the left, on the left of the target, while those on the right, on the right of the target:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F1____ (2).jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	31.9 KB 
ID:	76036Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F1____.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	63.7 KB 
ID:	76037

Type FMJ it for hunting and recreational shooting.

Tool - Rem700 BDL twist 12 ", more than 2500 shots.
    Last edited by Alex_4x4; 07-13-2013 at 03:19 PM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_4x4 View Post

Now Russia has a new plant (not ads): www.orsis.com
    They've got some nice stuff. If they keep their quality up enough, that stuff is as good as what is available here only from small manufacturers like me. That is saying they are THAT good.

Nickle, You are so delicious telling ... Pity the me, and then saliva choke.
    The bad news is your laws won't allow you to have the same. The good news is, if you come to the US, come visit, you can shoot mine.

And, by the way, I see you appreciate quality factory rifles. I too am a fan of the Remington 700. I have several.

That is saying they are THAT good.
    Wait and see. They say you need to grow a nice lawn three hundred years ... In Russia after 1991, many engineering tradition, people lost ... irrevocably.

The bad news is your laws won't allow you to have the same. The good news is, if you come to the US, come visit, you can shoot mine.

And, by the way, I see you appreciate quality factory rifles. I too am a fan of the Remington 700. I have several.
    Really bad news is, when my state to will call itself Motherland ..

For the invitation shoot - thank you, but it's unlikely that I'll use them. The last time I was leaving the country in 1991.

Rem700 now in Russia, in my opinion, is the most affordable rifle with the best quality / price ratio.

Boolit Master
    seated with Him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus (Eph 2:6)
    Alex, do you do any hunting?

Boolit Master

Wait and see. They say you need to grow a nice lawn three hundred years ... In Russia after 1991, many engineering tradition, people lost ... irrevocably.
    This is true. Here's hoping the product is as good as it looks. And, here's hoping the Americans catch on, but I doubt they will. Anyways, there's enough companies like Hart, Shilen, McMillan out there that also make this stuff.

For the invitation shoot - thank you, but it's unlikely that I'll use them. The last time I was leaving the country in 1991.
    It's an open invitation, so if things change in a few years, it's still open. I don't speak Russian, but I do speak German and some French, in addition to English. Ich kann Deutsch. Je parle Francais, ne beaucoup. Sorry if I missed the spelling a little, that wasn't from a translator.

Rem700 now in Russia, in my opinion, is the most affordable rifle with the best quality / price ratio.
    Pretty much the same here, along with Savage. Savage is a little ugly, but works well. Shoots well too. And, in my opinion, they make the best 22 long rifle bolt action these days. 17 HMR too, and I've got one. 93R17

Quote Originally Posted by Cane_man View Post
    Alex, do you do any hunting?
    I make bullets for hunters. I myself do not hunt for more than four years. I leave only shoot at targets. Test their products.

It's an open invitation, so if things change in a few years, it's still open. I don't speak Russian, but I do speak German and some French, in addition to English. Ich kann Deutsch. Je parle Francais, ne beaucoup. Sorry if I missed the spelling a little, that wasn't from a translator.
    Thank you again, but very unlikely that I will use the invitation.

Pretty much the same here, along with Savage. Savage is a little ugly, but works well. Shoots well too. And, in my opinion, they make the best 22 long rifle bolt action these days. 17 HMR too, and I've got one. 93R17
    17 HMR is a rimfire cartridge. The price of such holder as exotic in Russia is much higher than the .22lr. To me it not fit. With my income I can not afford to spend a maximum of $200 a month on my "toys". If I want to buy something expensive, I need to sell something "unnecessary." For example, when I wanted to buy from Dave Corbin 6 mm dies, I has sold the rifle CZ-452 Varmint .22lr.

.223 Rem is "good" for me that I can do the cartridges cost less than $0.30 per unit.
    Last edited by Alex_4x4; 07-13-2013 at 02:02 PM.

Boolit Master

17 HMR is on the exotic side here as well. Ammo costs around 8 to 10 times as much as 22 LR, when prices are normal. I still have sevveral 22 LR rifles, one is an older match rifle, Remington 513T, with Redfield Olympic sights.

Remington 513T
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7TA2ymhLsM

Old the beautiful rifle ... working tool.

Boolit Master

Yes, I love mine. I've got really good (top quality) iron sights on mine. Looks like April 1951 vintage, older than me.

Thanks for sharing that link.

Yes, I love mine. I've got really good (top quality) iron sights on mine. Looks like April 1951 vintage, older than me.

Thanks for sharing that link.
    Please.

I do not know anything about this model.

The trigger of this rifle can be adjusted?

Boolit Master
    Hello Alex_4X4,

I also want to welcome you this forum and find your thread interesting.

Now this is off of your topic of swaging but have you considered bullet casting as in lead alloy bullets?

I only ask this because of the relative savings accrued to the shooter IF molds and such are accessible to you in Russia?

I am not trying to drift you away from swaging but just curious since casting could help you shoot more until you can get or afford the expensive swaging dies you are waiting for or seeking.

I also like the Remington 700's, have some myself and others. The Savage bolt centerfires offer an additional advantage in that you can change barrels yourself with minimal tools. The "nut" on those allows you to set your headspace without a lathe and true gunsmithing experience. I have a lot of barrels for my Savage rifles ...... and some for my Remingtons but with those, I need a gunsmith to set them up the first time ....... then some of my Savage tools will assist in swapping the Remington barrels.

As a bullet caster, I like several of the older guns. I have a Savage set up in .338-06 that is just as happy with cast slugs as it is with jacketed ones. Some of my "ringers" are the Mosin Nagants that have been imported here for several years. A lot of the old American classics as well as other rifles from all over the world are very well suited to cast as well.

Best regards and may your stay be long and productive!!

Three 44s
    Last edited by Three44s; 07-14-2013 at 10:31 PM.

Thank you of salutation.

I had the equipment for casting bullets to .225 ".

Maybe it's too small caliber, but I could not get Acceptable deviation in weight for casting bullets. When casting hiccup was +/- 1.5 gr. That's a lot when I swaging deviation +/- 0.15 gr. I sold the equipment for casting bullets .225" hunter, he was pleased.

By replacing the barrels. In Russia this operation can only be done in a licensed gunsmith. Repairing most basic parts of the weapon is a violation of the law (criminal offense).

Boolit Master

Alex is shooting at a level of ability that exceeds the limitations of cast bullets. I'm in the same situation with many of my guns. Yes, that's pretty good shooting. No, I'm not a snob, and I don't think Alex is either. I would say he's at the same level as an AMerican varmint hunter or bench rest shooter.

Alex, I don't think the trigger is adjustable on the 513T, but it doesn't need it anyway, the trigger is about as good as a position shooting rifle gets. Mine was used to shoot smallbore competition by my father and myself. It isn't a Hart two ounce trigger, but almost as good.

Boolit Master
    Alex_4X4,

You are welcome! ....... and I understand about the barrel changing vs. Russian law ......... it's a surprise to me that they allow anything ........ so I'll leave it at that.

As far as casting bullets, you are correct in suspecting the small size slugs you were working with ....... casting and shooting those would be like learning to fly but starting with a high performance military aircraft ...... not a good (begining) learning platform .......

Nickle,

I shoot varmints and predators with high performance jacketed rounds, in fact that is how I came to handloading, so I sure am not taking you or Alex for snobs by any means. After all, I broke into the swaging thread with suggestions about casting.

My thought was that while one waits for swaging equipment from another country, casting would bridge the time gap ....... it's a long wait often from what I read ......

I will differ on accuracy ......... if you are using 100 meters or yards or even 200 .... cast is no slouch. Now when you are selling cast bullets to others, it would be difficult at best to get those folks up to great accuracy without a lot of tedium.

Best regards

Three 44s

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast