Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NPR is on the cutting edge ...<typed with much sarcasm>

Moderator Emeritus

NPR is on the cutting edge ...<typed with much sarcasm>

With Bullets Scarce, More Shooters Make Their Own
    by SCOTT GRAF
    July 06, 2013 6:24 AM

http://www.npr.org/2013/07/06/199057...make-their-own

...So Nicholson, like thousands of other shooters, is going a different route. He's making more of the bullets he shoots. Shop owner Poser says the scarcity of ready-made bullets has frustrated shooters to the point they're spending between $200 and $1,000 to get into the hobby known as "reloading."

Derek Emmert is one such enthusiast. He's making his own bullets "partially for hobby, something to do," he says. "But, as well as, the cost of ammo off the shelf is outrageous right now. So if I can reload my own ammo, it's gonna cut costs and make shooting a little more cheaper."
    "It's been a challenge because we're used to operating at a certain level," says Mark Pixler, a spokesman for Arizona-based Dillon Precision. His company makes presses that assemble ammunition components into a finished bullet. Pixler says calls have come in so quickly that customers crashed the company's phone system.

"We were literally unable to make outgoing phone calls. So we literally had to go and buy some prepaid cellphones so that we could conduct essential company business on the telephone," he says.

To try to keep up with demand, Dillon Precision has hired back retired salesmen, asked parts suppliers to ramp up production, and added a second shift at its factory. Pixler says the company is doing more business than ever before, but thanks only to what he sees as a few people hoarding.
    Maybe I shouldn't have highlighted Scott's use of the word bullet...But I just had to.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Banned

that's about the same story I hear at the gun shops.
    and I quote..."things would be fine if everybody would just buy what they normally do".

Boolit Grand Master

I never realized reloading meant making your own bullets. Sloppy journalism like that irks me to no end. Do the research and use the proper terms.

Boolit Master

Heck, I'm happy for them to stay ignorant and uninformed. There is enough competition for components already. We have a couple of local gunshops that like to get on TV and tell how dangerous shooting reloads is. They have indoor ranges and are happy to sell you ammo.....when they have it.

A few years ago I did a short piece on NPR. One of my favorite lines in that piece was "I'm not a good man, as a child the only religion I knew was the bolt-gun." And they actually ran it. Had the short piece focused on shooting or hunting, I am sure I would have never seen the inside of their studio. As a old man, I can happily report that I am much broadened: I like single-shots, levers, pumps, and semi-autos. Too bad current law will not allow me to own and use a rifle I've always been fascinated with, the Browning patented 1918A1, the BAR.
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    I never realized reloading meant making your own bullets. Sloppy journalism like that irks me to no end. Do the research and use the proper terms.
    You can always count on the new
    media to get it wrong.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

This is the kind of mis-information that drives much of the Anti-Gun establishments rhetoric!! Articles like this mis-inform the public while Antis preach it as gospel!!
    45 ACP because shooting more than once is just silly!!

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

Boolit Grand Master

Our tax dollars at work. NPR is on the edge, all right. All they need is a good push!
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master

What I REALLY like to hear is one of their 'I know all about guns' types who talks about the 'heads' for 'bullets', the 'head' being the part that comes out of the muzzle when you pull the trigger.

dale in Louisiana

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale in Louisiana View Post
    What I REALLY like to hear is one of their 'I know all about guns' types who talks about the 'heads' for 'bullets', the 'head' being the part that comes out of the muzzle when you pull the trigger.

dale in Louisiana
    Yeah...

When did calling bullets "heads" start???

I have been shooting since I was about 5-6 years old and reloading for 35+ years and I had never even heard of a bullet being called a "head" until the current shortages began.
    I see the term used on Craigslist all the time...
    I wonder if it is a way to dissuade the anti-gunners from "flagging" firearm related offerings?
    I guess it's possible.

Boolit Grand Master

It's a Craiglist term to prevent flagging. Tips is used as well. That's all it is and it was around well before the current shortage.

Boolit Grand Master

Where our governors, congressmen AND THEIR WIVES make our license plates
    You should listen to our know it all politicians. Clips should be restricted to 10 bullets at the most and you should not be allowed to carry more than one clip on your person.

God forbid if they ever found out that we know the secret of making those shiny things that fly out of guns go bang more than once.

Not sure if the governor or the Crook county sheriff is the dumberest.
    WE WON. WE BEAT THE MACHINE. WE HAVE CCW NOW.

Boolit Master

Periodically my wife has me drive her to Memphis to shop. Usually I drop her off at the mall and I drive about 2 miles to a small gun shop that always has some interesting stuff. This time they didn't have anything I wanted to buy so I just looked around and stayed out of the way of paying customers. As I was working my way toward the door, I stood aside to allow 2 more customers get in the door. These two guys had on shirts with the logo of the local public radio/tv station. Hopefully, they were there to buy.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master

Guys!

I have been making my own bullets since 1956.

Most of the members of this board make their own bullets.

Some of us even make our own jacketed bullets.

After we make them, we usually load them into cartridge cases. Sometimes however, I hoard them.
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 375supermag View Post
    Yeah...

My bet is it started with some no-nothing who doesn't reload, knows nothing about reloading, never read a loading manual, cares nothing about the correct nomenclature of our craft, or maybe wants to impress others with his stupidity.
    But, I could be wrong on all counts.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Master
    Not sure but I know I have been hearing this slang term for at least 25 years, maybe it is a midwestern thing like "bubbler".
    I am guessing that it comes from setting a cartridge on its primed base as it most easily stands up that way, then the projectile would be the head?

Might surprise folks here but if you say boolit to folks that only shoot those FLGC things you can get some strange looks too, I use it to differentiate between the 2 personally.
    Last edited by DCM; 07-10-2013 at 07:07 PM.
    "Don't worry what they think. In the end it is not between them and you, it is between you and God."

Je suis Charlie!

"You won't know until you Actually try it"

"The impossible just takes longer."

"Don't let them beat you down with their inexperience."

"You'll never accomplish what you don't try. " - Moldmaker

The use of "heads" and "tips" for bullets drives me crazy too. Not a midwest thing as far as I know. Sorry, but I usually view any one who uses those terms with a bit of suspicion or at least consider them relatively inexperienced. RD
    “A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.”

Thomas Jefferson – Author of the Declaration of Independence and 3rd President of the USA

Boolit Grand Master

"relatively inexperienced"??? LOL!

I'd say full-on neophyte without a clue if they ever say "heads" or "tips".

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master
    I asked one of my shooting mentors when he first heard the term used and his reply was.

"I was on the Cherry Point, NC (Marine Corps) Rifle & Pistol team
    from 1965 to 1970, and I know the term was well in use then."

Call him what you will as I can't stop you, but I will stick to Top, sir etc. .
    "Don't worry what they think. In the end it is not between them and you, it is between you and God."

Je suis Charlie!

"You won't know until you Actually try it"

"The impossible just takes longer."

"Don't let them beat you down with their inexperience."

"You'll never accomplish what you don't try. " - Moldmaker

Boolit Master
    One of the reason NPR reporters do such a poor job on guns and hunting is they have dever done it. Talk a aquantance that hunts a little to take you top a range once and you know everything about guns and hunting. They didn't hunt or shoot as children and have no interest it it now. The peop[le that supervise them know less than they do. Most NPR types aren't shooters. Given their lack of knowledge they probably do a half way decent job of reporting.
    As to a bullet being called a head, never! Head of cartridge has a head stamp on it. Calling a bullet a head or tip has to be a local idiom similar to the names southern bass fishermen have for various lures.