Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Repackbox Inline Fabrication

Thread: Marlin Lever

Marlin Lever

I had my eye on a Marlin Lever in 44 Rem. Mag until I noticed it had a micro-groove barrel. I would be shooting cast mostly, and I have heard terrible reports about cast bullets and micro-groove rifling. What are your guys opinions on this?
    There's a difference in scratching your **** and tearing it all to pieces!

Boolit Grand Master

Opinions run strong on this issue. Here's one thread as a sample:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=3966

Banned

There is actually better "bite" on the boolit with micro groove because what they call Ballard still has very shallow grooves, half the depth of normal rifling.

Boolit Mold
    I have had a Marlin in .357 mag for 20 years and have shot nothing but cast bullets for all that time--it has micro-groove rifling--it has several loads that shoot into < 2 inches at 100 yards pretty consistently. I would not be afraid to buy a Marlin with Micro-groove rifling.

Boolit Master
    My main firearms intrest at the moment is Marlin rifles . And I happen to have a pretty large assortment available to me at the moment . Anyway I used to be of the school that micro's were not for cast bullets . And with that being said , only fired cast in ballard rifled barrels .

Here in the last year or so I have changed my tune . I own three older Marlin 444's and each one is sighted in with a different weight Ranch Dog bullet and all three are micro . I also have Marlin's in 356 and 375 that shoot cast exclusively and again they are both micro .
    Started shooting lever silhouette a few months ago , and my Marlin 30-30 competition rifle is micro grooved .

So it's all in what ya wanna do really . But just because it's micro grooved don't let that stop you from buying a rifle if you want it
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

My most accurate lever gun is a 1968 336 30-30........with a microgroove barrell. YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by pumpguy View Post
    My most accurate lever gun is a 1968 336 30-30........with a microgroove barrell. YMMV.

Do you shoot cast with this rifle pumpguy? That's probably a silly question on this board. Thank's for the input guys, you've given me a lot to think about!
    There's a difference in scratching your **** and tearing it all to pieces!

Thumbs up

I have a .44 Marlin with Micro Groove. Don't worry about it. Just make sure you size them .430 or larger. I've used swaged lead, hard cast, black powder, etc.
    I don't think you can drive a 44 fast enough to tell the difference. I don't try to shoot it long range either.

Scott

Boolit Master
    My 1894 Marlin 44 Mag. with micro-groove has by far been my most successful cast bullet rifle yet. With a Lyman receiver sight I have come to expect very small groups at fifty, mostly all holes touching. At a hundred I get an inch to an inch and a half. I use the RCBS 240 SWC GC water dropped and H110 with mag. primer. My rifle shoots best with a near max. charge of H110 and I don't want to quote the charge off the top of my head. I'll check and get back with that. But, I do know that in that little light weight rifle, it packs a pretty good punch on both ends. I sighted it in at 75 for a dead on hold anywhere out to a hundred. An absolute pleasure to carry around the woods.

Keith

Boolit Buddy
    MY 1894C will shoot mouse ears with .38 spec and .357mag all day when I do my part (which isn't all that often but enough to know the problems is me not the rifle )

Banned

I'm plinking a 4" diameter gas cylinder hanging from a tree out at 200 yards with my 1970 336 in 30-30 micro groove and Lyman tang sight. Oh and cast boolits.

Naw those microgrooves are horrible..
    Last edited by PatMarlin; 10-01-2008 at 12:38 AM.

I had a micro grooved 44 mag that shot cast bullets without accuracy problems.

I also had a Marlin 1895 with micro groove that keyholed at 50 yards with cast bullets.

My currrent 1895 shoots cast bullets without any accuracy issues!
    Can our government survive the next 4 years?