Lee PrecisionWidenersReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxSnyders JerkyLoad DataRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Relining.

Relining.

Team.

How is a barrel relined? How do you achieve a perect fit over such a long span?
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Boolit Master

Special drill bit with a piloted end that fits the current bore. Braze an extension on it to make a deep drill, apply lots of good cutting oil, drill half way thru, and reverse the barrel and drill out the remainder. Clean out the barrel with solvent, clean the liner. Apply epoxy to the liner and install in the barrel, making sure the breech end of the liner is in the correct orientation. Let cure overnight then trim both ends, face the muzzle and chamber the breech, reinstall the barrel and verify headspace.

Boolit Master
    NHrifle has the process described perfectly. I think you can get the Brownell's instructions for relining .22 rifle barrels on their web site.

If you're really good, you can drill the old bore all the way out from the breech until the pilot comes out the muzzle and the drill is within a few thousandths of breaking out. The outside of the liner is then tapered to the same angle as the drill, and glued or soldered into the barrel as before. Looking at the muzzle, there is no indication that the barrel has been relined.

This requires a closely piloted drill and a good setup where no sagging or wandering of the drill can occur.

It is possible to do a reline job where the rifle shoots five feet to the left at 50 yards with the barrel sights hanging out of their dovetails. But to give the "gunsmith" who did this for me some benefit of the doubt, the liner was pretty bad; the inside was good, but the tube was very uneven on the outside. The liners that people make nowadays are very precise, inside and out, and a close fit is easy to make.

I'm a little surprised you don't need to run a gun drill reamer after the piloted drill.

Boolit Grand Master

Another issue is stress in the original barrel causing it to "bow" when being drilled. Newer blanks are much better in this respect as most are stress relieved at some point in manufacter some 2 times. A properly sharpened drill will cut fairly straight if chips are cleared regularly. The easiest deep drilling I did was with a hollow drill and coolant puched thru it to the point. It kept chips pushed out and from binding. This was on a cnc machine ant it cleared chips every .100 thousandths of foreward travel.Drilled those holes quickly and accuratly. With the existing hole if it is straight and true then the drill should follow very well. If not then its going to be a tribulation to get it straight as drills and reamers tend to follow the existing hole. Pumping coolant thru the bore to the drill would/is effective also.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by GabbyM View Post
    I'm a little surprised you don't need to run a gun drill reamer after the piloted drill.
    No need to ream after drilling. The drill cuts the new bore atleast .005" over the diameter of the liner, which allows for a thin layer of epoxy between the liner and new bore.

Boolit Master
    Actually, it's better for a good bond to have some scratches and rings in the drilled surface of the barrel. Reaming or polishing would be counterproductive. The outside of the liner should be scuffed up a bit with coarse sandpaper also.

Just did a 1914 Savage 22. Got all the stuff I needed,bit and liner, from Brownells. Most critical thing is cutting the extractor groove. I used a small SHARP file. After fitting, epoxy, and bluing it is hard to tell it was lined. Turned a wall hanger into a fun little shooter. The only thing I can stress is use LOTS of cutting oil, remove chips very often and take your time.

rmcc

Boolit Buddy
    is it possible to reline for a center fire rifle?
    or just low pressure rim fire rounds?
    hello.

Boolit Man
    There are liners made for a few old lower pressure centerfire rounds (25-20, 44-40, etc)

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-to...prod10976.aspx

Boolit Master

The best liners come from T.J.'s 859-635-5560. On average I install a liner every week. I use an undersized piloted drill and ream for a closer fit of about .002" clearance which is not enough room for epoxy, I use high strength loctite. With a closer fit it is a bit easier to hide the line at the muzzle. T.J.'s has a larger selection of calibers from 17 to 58, he also makes barrels for the airgun crowd.
    The bore does not need to be rough to hold with Loctite, just clean.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkW View Post
    There are liners made for a few old lower pressure centerfire rounds (25-20, 44-40, etc)

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-to...prod10976.aspx
    bummer,
    I have an old 8mm mauser that I would love for it to be a 7x57
    hello.

Boolit Man
    A new barrel in 7X57 is actually cheaper than a liner is:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/413...y-in-the-white

(not to get dragged into an argument on the quality of GM barrels, my experience has been positive)

You still need to fit and chamber, but you'd need to do that with a liner too.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkW View Post
    A new barrel in 7X57 is actually cheaper than a liner is:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/413...y-in-the-white

(not to get dragged into an argument on the quality of GM barrels, my experience has been positive)

You still need to fit and chamber, but you'd need to do that with a liner too.
    well, the kicker is that the rifle is a old mauser sporter, with a half round half octagon barrel.
    so im not quite willing to put a new barrel on.

I am wiling to do a rebore, or a liner if possible. but it seems of the two, the rebore is more likely.

sorry to hijack thread.
    hello.

FWIW, the .32 cal 8x57 Mauser is no slouch when properly loaded, and is fully the equal of a .30-06 - If I had a nicely-barreled Euro Sporter in 8mm, I'd spend my money on reloading gear instead of a rebore/reline.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Mason View Post
    well, the kicker is that the rifle is a old mauser sporter, with a half round half octagon barrel.

I am wiling to do a rebore, or a liner if possible. but it seems of the two, the rebore is more likely.

sorry to hijack thread.
    Is the bore roached?...if not....... shoot it........ the 8x57 is a good round and will rival the good ol 30-06 in every way possible. If the bore is roached maybe a 35 whelen or 35X60 is in your future????? BadgerEdd has a 35x60 that was a JES rebore and that Mauser is in a word "awesome".

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Mason View Post

sorry to hijack thread.
    T.J.'s has a 7MM liner with 1 in 10 1wist.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    All things being equal, I consider the 8X57 slightly better than the .30-06 for cast boolits.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Buddy
    Well I am upset now.I didn't know this road existed today when offered a old drop block 22LR with a almost smooth-bore barrel.I could have just paid 63 dollars. D@*&%$#*((^^& and lots of other bad words.
    Knowledge shall forever govern ignorance!

I see what I am hunting just coming off the "GRILL"!

It is not a measure of moral health to be well adjusted in a sick society!
    Jules

Quote Originally Posted by GabbyM View Post
    Straight is important, but a rough surface adheres better with the epoxy.
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast