Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyWidenersLee Precision
Load Data Inline Fabrication

Thread: Moslin Nagant Stipper Clips

Boolit Buddy

Moslin Nagant Stipper Clips

I was watching some how-to Moslin Nigant videos today. One of the videos was on how to stack bullets on a Mosin Nagant stripper clip. http://www.smith-sights.com/instructional-videos.php So i tried it using what i thought was my best stripper clip a Soviet made Izhevsk clip. It worked but it was still hard to use. Then i tried a blued and a brass clip that were both were chinese made they worked better. Next i tried the dreaded Tapco clips that everyone hates. They worked the best. Stacking the bullets in a Pyramid also lets you load from either end of the clip. All the clips except the Soviet clip had the ends cut at right angles. The ends on the Soviet clips were cut on a angle that was about the same angle as the bullets stacked on the clip. The Tapco clip that i angled and rounded the ends on worked great. It was very easy to use.

I learned over 25 years ago while opening 440 rd tins of LPS in 5 round chargers that ALL the mosins are not so easy to load. I cut my thumb on the side of those chargers more than I could count !!!.
    No , I did not read that in a manual or stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.... it's just the facts Ma'am.

What's the difference between a pig and an Engineer ?
    You can argue with the Pig.

Boolit Mold
    I have a number of (I believe) Russian stripper clips. Very hard to use, and cut your thumb like crazy!

Boolit Master

Finnish chargers have been best for me, followed by some really brittle old Chinese brass ones.

Boolit Buddy
    I have cut myself many times using Mosin Nagant stripper clips. I got all clips working on my M44, 91/30 and M39. When use the Tapco stripper clips stacked Pyramid style they load very easy without hanging up at all.

Boolit Buddy
    I tried number of those and only the egiptian ones are real PITA.
    Hell,my favorites are SS made from Ebay.True,they are razor sharp but few swipes with Stotch brite and they are the best

Banned

just exactly how are you guys using the stripper clips to load your rifles?

you insert the stripper clip, grab the top round, point it upward then use the base of it to ram home the others and finally stuffing the last one in after the others.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbQ8Dg3jAi8

check the 2min mark

by prying up on the first one the rim is actually expanding the stripper and letting the rest "fall" into the mag, with a gentle push from the first one. So in fact you are only shoving ONE cartridge through the stripper with force.

Banned

you guys ever see Enemy at the Gates? That movie show exactly how to do it.

Boolit Buddy
    Yes you lift the first round and load with your thumb. But he is loading the clip wrong. You should be able to load from either end of the clip and the ammo should be tight on the clip. They work much better stacked in a Pyramid pattern.

Has anyone checked to see how their loaded right out of the spam can?

Boolit Buddy
    In my first post is the link is where i learned how to load the clips in a Pyramid pattern the guy that made the video said thats how the clips where loaded in spam cans he has bought. I have never seen them myself but i look forward to seeing some.

Boolit Buddy
    I've never tried the pyramid method. I just stuff them inthe clip with no loading problems. I do like many have posted and hold the top cartridge as my pusher.

The Mosin interrupter prevents rim lock, as long as it is not gummed up, broken, or missing.

Boolit Master
    My open can of '52 Russian 147gr just has the rims placed over the previous one, like this: /////. They load fine and I don't pay attention which way I load. Reload them the same way and let the interrupter do its job. These Russian blued, spring steel clips are the only ones I have experience with though.

The chargers on the gobs of 44 dated LPS ( silver tipped ) FMJ I bought back in the 80's were loded pyramid and like an Enfield..wrapped in hand tied packets of paper and hand packed tightly in the tins !. The chargers all had the triangle with mark in the middle of it , were bright finished easily rusted metal. I had some WW1 and 1925 dated Russian ball in bandoleirs and their chargers had the little cut out tab/fingeron all four flat ends. They were bright metal and worked nicely.
    No , I did not read that in a manual or stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.... it's just the facts Ma'am.

What's the difference between a pig and an Engineer ?
    You can argue with the Pig.

I've used the clips with the little spring fingers in them & I've used the ones that just have the top corners bent in a little. I don't know where they came from originally. The bent corner type hold the shells kind of loose. Both types work if you use the correct technique. The important part is that you pull up on the tip of the bullet as you push down on the brass, about 3/4 of the way back. Finding the exact best place to push for the particular clip/ammo combination is the trick. Once you have that figured out, all will go smoothly.
    “an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus