MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
RotoMetals2RepackboxInline FabricationLee Precision
Load Data Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lee Push Through Sizers

Banned

Lee Push Through Sizers

Anybody ever have one that was off?

I've had several over the years and they work. I recently acquired a .323 sizer from them to use on a new (to me) bullet mold for a new to me also Marlin .32 Special. I cast some tonight, my calipers show them to drop at about .325, but I could not push one through that .323 sizer on my Rockchucker.

I would have thought that Lee die would have handled something a little over, they have with other ones I've owned. It's marked .323, at first, I thought they might have given me a .314 sizer or something. I really don't have anything to measure the inside diameter, just wondering if anybody ever got one that was off.

Boolit Master

I have a NOE mold that drops boolits @ 360 and I have no problem pushing them through my Lee 356 sizer using the cheap Lee press. It will leave some swaged edges at the bottom that clean up easily but they go through.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

I've taken .314 to .309 w/o issue. Required more force than the .001-.002 I usually size.

I have a classic cast press mounted upside down dedicated for small runs when I don't want to change over my Mark VI or Lube master over for a small run. I have a bunch of lee dies, some are easier than others to push through. I won't run 147g FP's through it because it is a PITA, but most other bullets are a breeze.

Boolit Master

Did you lube them first?
    I regularly size down .458 to .454.
    Best,
    Mike

NRA Life Member
    Remember Ira Hayes

Boolit Master

I have an old Ideal mold for 45 acp that drops it's bullets at .458 with wheel weight alloy. I've sized them down to .452 in a lee sizer in my Rockchucker press but it did take some "elbow grease". I avoid casting with this mold for this reason. If you don't have a way to measure the inside run some smaller bullets (oversize 30's or so) to see if you can get and idea of the actual size of the die.
    Good Luck,
    Rick

Boolit Master
    Try lubing. The boolits with something

Banned

I tried using LLA and the same result. Pretty sure this is one whose quality control slipped through.

Boolit Grand Master

Measure the Pusher if the "pusher" is 320 or so, then the die is close. Feeling the wobble with the pusher in the die will give you an idea how much clearence there is. Calipers normally have 2 small jaws oposite the large faws for inside dimensions. Find a bullet you can push thru and measure it after. Maybe Bump a 30 cal one up with a hammer then push tru and measure. Check for burrs sharp edges as they will greatly increase the force needed. How hard is your alloy running harder alloys will also increase the force.

Banned

These are pretty soft. 50/50 with a little tin, I cast them to try to develop a hunting load with. I seated some checks and lubed a few as cast, if they will seat and chamber, this may not be an issue.

I'll play with it and see if I can figure it out.

Banned

You could send it back to Lee Precision with a note indicating the apparent under-size issue, or have a machinist open it up to your exact spec.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    ...just wondering if anybody ever got one that was off.
    Rich, I have about a dozen, standard and custom - everyone is 0.005 undersized. Spoke to Lee about this and they still come undersized. I learned early to order the next 0.00x larger
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master

I consider the dies to be adjustable, as long as you want to go bigger. The old fine emery cloth on a split dowel chucked in a battery drill will open them up really quick. Plus you will end up with a better finish inside the die when you are done. Go slow and measure often. I have a .243 nominal die that I opened up to .268 with a carbide drill bit and abrasive polish for my 6.5 rifles. By the way , some of the Lee dies are quite rough inside when new.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by frkelly74 View Post
    I consider the dies to be adjustable, as long as you want to go bigger. The old fine emery cloth on a split dowel chucked in a battery drill will open them up really quick. Plus you will end up with a better finish inside the die when you are done. Go slow and measure often. I have a .243 nominal die that I opened up to .268 with a carbide drill bit and abrasive polish for my 6.5 rifles. By the way , some of the Lee dies are quite rough inside when new.
    I thought about doing this. I may just see if smoothing it up works, but like others on here, I have shoved a pretty oversized .38 bullet through my .358 die and it handled it fine. I used to have a .429 one that was the same way. Seems with the kind of leverage you can get with a Rockchucker, a few thousandths would be no problem.

Boolit Master
    I wonder if the ram is not lining up with the die when on the press. Easy to check by just running it up without a boolit.

Banned

It seems to be. I think I'm just gonna get a die for my Lyman 450. Here lately I've been liking the Lee push through dies and LLA, but I think I'm just gonna go back traditional.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by John Boy View Post
    Rich, I have about a dozen, standard and custom - everyone is 0.005 undersized. Spoke to Lee about this and they still come undersized. I learned early to order the next 0.00x larger
    Guess I got lucky, my .356 die pushes out boolits at .3563 consistently.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Buddy
    Having dealt with Lee customer service to replace missing parts from used die sets I've bought, I suggest you give them a call. I've ALWAYS been very happy with the service I've received and on replacement part orders, they've always been at my door in two days.

I imagine you'll have to send your part in to them but from that point, I bet it will be a very fast turn around time till you have the new part in hand.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jupiter7 View Post
    I've taken .314 to .309 w/o issue. Required more force than the .001-.002 I usually size.
    I would just call them and send it back to Lee. They are real easy to deal with. I have used their push thru dies and they work great for me. I even sie the .323 boolit they make for the 8mm from .323" down to .314" after putting lube into the grooves. The smaller diameter the boolit is, the less sizing it will take before bending it. I recently tried sizing a .270" diameter 6.5mm boolit down to .265" in a Lyman/RCBS type die and it bends every time.

Boolit Grand Master
    Lube mine with a teaspoonful of mineral sprits. Stir the boolits in the can just like if I were lubing them. Wets them just enough to ease the trip through. Tumble lube as usual after that.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast