Reloading EverythingLoad DataTitan ReloadingWideners
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Repackbox Snyders Jerky
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: hog hunting advise needed

Banned

"The only reason I came back to see latest post,and to see if ya'll had talked the hog to death!"

Very funny. Got a good laugh out of that.

Perma-Banned

00 buck in three inch 12 gauge is freekn deadly out to about 35 yards.. I have shot many hogs with it and while a few desired a followup, all the rest instantly acquired a deep felt respect.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by trauma1 View Post
    Now you go and throw that word reasonable in there and screw it all up. I think your original thought of the 44mag in a handgun is just fine as long as your shot is within 50yds and broadside. In a rifle you could stretch it out a little more. However, you can never be overgunned when it comes to a hog. Take something you are comfortable and accurate shooting because at the end of the day a well placed 250 gr 44mag at 1100 fps is deadlier than a poorly placed .500 SW. You want DEEP penetration, preferably through and through because down here in Fla. they like the thickest, nastiest stuff to run into when shot. I have taken them with 257 Roberts and 3006. I shot one last year with a bow. Through and through lung shot, ran 40 yds and it took 3 of us an hour to find it in the palmettos. I plan on using a 41mag and a 375 H&H with cast bullets this year. I would not recommend buck shot at all . While they will probably die eventually, your range is going to be limited to 30-40yds max with buck shot. Stick with your original plan and practice, practice, practice. While they are tuff critters they ain't elephants.
    Original Poster here. I never brought shotguns into the conversation, that thought brought into the thread by another poster. Interesting side conversation though.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Firebricker View Post
    ...His answer was "You boys better learn to climb trees"...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmiceyes View Post
    The only reason I came back to see latest post,and to see if ya'll had talked the hog to death!
    Spit coffee all over my desk. Thanks for the laugh.

Boolit Master
    Well, totally off topic, but since we're laughin', what do squirrels and cigarettes have in common?

They're both harmless until put in your mouth and lit.

Back on topic: Hogs aren't that hard to kill if a bullet is put in the vitals. It doesn't matter a lot what bullet, cartridge, caliber or much of anything else. Hit 'em where it hurts and they die easy. I say that after a string of over 200 hogs shot with everything from #8 bird shot to slugs, buck, CF rifles and rimfires. Fact is I've killed more with rimfires than the rest put together. Almost forgot, a S&W .38 snubby. Build your load and aim small.
    I have danced with the Devil. She had excellent attorneys.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by skeeter1911 View Post
    Original Poster here. I never brought shotguns into the conversation, that thought brought into the thread by another poster. Interesting side conversation though.
    sorry about that, I kinda hijacked this one
    "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you can't always be sure of their authenticity.”
    - Abraham Lincoln

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by gofastman View Post
    sorry about that, I kinda hijacked this one
    No worries. Interesting points were made.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by jmortimer View Post
    "The only reason I came back to see latest post,and to see if ya'll had talked the hog to death!"

Very funny. Got a good laugh out of that.
    It is beyond dead. I think we are at digestion level!

Shoot it with whatever you want. Learn to climb a tree. Hopefully you can run really fast in a zig-zag motion already. Just have fun though. That is what this is all about.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234