Load DataWidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading

Thread: Looking for load data for 30.06

Boolit Mold

Looking for load data for 30.06

I am casting 180 gn gas checked boolit and have H4895 and 4350. Does anyone have a starting load for either of these powders? Using wheel weights to cast. Am trying to find a hunting load for white tail deer. Will be shooting from a Remington 700.

Boolit Grand Master

Wish I could help, my 30-06's are my token j-word rifles...for now. Suspect you're on the right track with H4895; H4350 is my new powder for j-words in that cartridge.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Buddy
    I use 30 gr of XMP 5744 wit a Lee 170 gr *** for 2100 FPS ,(chronographed). I get no leading as well. This is with WW, too. I tried quite a few powders, but came back to this one because of the stellar performance with cast bullets in this caliber,(and many others as well).
    Last edited by Duckdog; 07-21-2013 at 01:57 PM. Reason: typo

Boolit Master
    Duckdog, are you sure it's 50 grains? That seems like an awful lot of a faster burning powder for the '06.

Edited to add: I just checked the 5th edition of Accurate Arms, page 45 of their online PDF, and 50 grains of 5744 is exactly twice what they recommend for a 173 grain cast 30-06 load. Their load of 25 grains is supposed to clock 1920 fps, btw. Just another reminder to check data with the books.

No one's perfect, and we are all susceptible to typo's or misremembering.
    Last edited by pipehand; 07-21-2013 at 12:14 PM. Reason: found data.
    You have the right to force me to pay for the feeding, housing, clothing, education, and medical treatment of yourself and your children when I have THE RIGHT TO FORCE YOU TO PICK MY COTTON!

Section 1 13th Amendment to the Constitution:
    "Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as punishment for a crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction."

Boolit Master

With corrected posting of the load, the information in this post is NO Longer needed
    Last edited by TCLouis; 07-22-2013 at 11:02 PM. Reason: drop info no longer needed
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Why don't you use the search feature on the site? There is also a guide in one of the stickies IIRC. With the 4350 the starting point might be pretty close to the don't go lower point because of hangfires for the alloy intended so be careful but may provide a gentler push.

Boolit Buddy
    Sorry gents. 30 Grains is the load. I missed the typo, but glad you caught it. It got people looking the load up though! Lymans 49th has 35 grains of XMP 5744 for a 170 gr bullet as a max. I am well within the limits and am showing no pressure. The range is 26 to 35 grains of XMP 5744 with a max pressure of 45,000 PSI. I also dug out a 2002 Accurate reloading manual and the range of a 180 gr LRN bullet is 28 gr to 32 gr, so again, well within the limits, as a 152 gr LRN has a range of 30.2 gr to 33.5 gr, and I'm between the two and worked the load up. I did see on the latest manual online that it only lists a starting load for thee combinations and the rest is blank. Based on all of the of the published data out there, it seems maybe they forgot the rest of the data? Funny how different sources vary.

I corrected the typo in the original post. Again, sorry about the typo.

Banned

Thanks for this thread. I was going to try to get a deer hunting load together for a couple of '06s using the Ranchdog bullet and/or 31141. I have some 5744, looks like I'll try that ASAP.

Boolit Buddy
    But which data will you use? I forgot to mention above, Lees 2nd follows the Accurate 2002 manuals data. I'll stick with what I have, but it surely seems to vary. Off the 5744 discussion, I have had excellent luck using Lees 2nd Ed method of using bullet harness / working pressure to work up a load, but in this case, the 5744 shoots by far the best for me in the 06.

Boolit Master
    Jer-Bear since you're new here, it might help if you knew about the search function that's better than the one native to the board. Montana Charlie fixed us up with this custom search:

http://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=00...69:ggn3vg-bjum

I don't load cast for the '06 in recent history, but you may do OK with the 4895 and the 180 grain CB between 30 and 40 grains.

40 should get you around 2200 fps. Accuracy may fall off before then, so work your way up.

Also, Castpics has a load data lookup:

http://www.castpics.net/LoadData/default.html

And there are also reprints of older manuals as well on that site.

Be safe, and keep us updated on your progress. Some of us like to hear Newbie success stories.
    You have the right to force me to pay for the feeding, housing, clothing, education, and medical treatment of yourself and your children when I have THE RIGHT TO FORCE YOU TO PICK MY COTTON!

Section 1 13th Amendment to the Constitution:
    "Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as punishment for a crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction."

Boolit Mold
    haven't mastered the search feature yet. Thanks for the input.

Banned
    I have been playing with an older like new Charles Daly mauser in 06 that followed me home awhile back....decided to make some room in the powder cupboard and use up some "vintage" IMR4064 and at 40 to 42 grains the BRP 311041's (waterdropped 50/50) are golf ball accurate at 100 yards.....just in case you have some 4064 kicking about.

Boolit Mold
    don't have any IMR4064 but if I find some I'll give it a try. thanks everyone.