Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationWidenersRepackbox
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: July 4th memories. Please share.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    “The role of government and its relationship to the individual has been changed so radically that today government is involved in almost every aspect of our lives. Political, economic and racial forces have developed which we have not yet learned to understand or control. If we are ever to master these forces, make certain that government will belong to the people, not the people to the government, and provide for the future better than the past, we must somehow learn from the experiences of the past.”

Bernard Baruch, presenting his papers to Princeton University at the age of 93, as published in The New York Times, 11 May 1964.

http://www.snopes.com/history/american/pricepaid.asp

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ependence.html

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/2011/01...egory-secPromo

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    “The role of government and its relationship to the individual has been changed so radically that today government is involved in almost every aspect of our lives. Political, economic and racial forces have developed which we have not yet learned to understand or control. If we are ever to master these forces, make certain that government will belong to the people, not the people to the government, and provide for the future better than the past, we must somehow learn from the experiences of the past.”

Bernard Baruch, presenting his papers to Princeton University at the age of 93, as published in The New York Times, 11 May 1964.

http://www.snopes.com/history/american/pricepaid.asp

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ependence.html

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/2011/01...egory-secPromo

4 July 1958 found me in a hospital recovering from knee surgery to repair a sports injury and my mother brought me a cake in the shape of a firecracker. It cheered me up considerable.

On the downside, my wife's son was killed on this day in a motorcycle accident (1986) and the back of the Confederacy was broken at Gettysburg and Vicksburg in 1863. I think I can still hear the wheels of the 17 mile long wagon train carrying off the Southern dead and wounded and going south from Gettysburg. The Federals has a mountain of corpses to deal with as well. Awful, awful time for this country.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

The 4th of July TOWN celebration in my home town CALAIS MAINE. lots of food. music. dancing. free Beer for the grown ups. root beer for the kids. parades.our sister city across from Calais ST Stephen new Brunswick would celebrate with us.town fathers running around in silly costumes.Band concerts at the park.and the parades. the 1st one I remember was 1946 my mom took me. first there was an old Maxwell car(no top on it) in the back seat was two civil war vets in their uniforms. next some Spanish american war vets. then a whole lot of world war 1 vets. then world war 11 vets. Canadian vets from both wars. and then the north west mounted police. in their red uniforms ON HORSE BACK, about fifty of them all in perfect step with one another.and this would go on all day and all night. It was the most magnificent event I have ever been a part of for so many wonderful years. it stopped around 1976. it was nothing like it used to be. I loved it all.

HAPPY 4TH OF JULY TO YOU ALL. Tom/Gandy
    "The good sense of the people will always be found to be the best army.They may be led astray for a moment,but will soon correct themselves" - Thomas Jefferson

I wasn't Born in the south but I got there as soon as I could.
    I like this site. MOSTLY good people. good ideas.

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't!!
    "Either this man is dead or my watch has stopped." — Groucho Marx

"We are born naked, wet, and hungry. Then things get worse"

Boolit Master
    In the small town I grew up in everybody went to the public park on the 4th. Fireworks popped all day. Nobody cared. It was good. The last time I went it is now a king sized flea market with too many drunks stumbling around. Things change. Sometimes not for the good.
    Boolits !!!!! Does that mean what I think it do? It do!

Moderator Emeritus

I remember my son and his friends sending all the neighborhood dogs into hiding more than once with their homemade fireworks. My BIL remembers it as the last time he had two eyes 40 some years ago. He lost one at a city fireworks display that went into the stands. Stay safe.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

When I was a kid my brother, sister and I stayed with our Grandparents for a few weeks each summer. We tried to always make sure we were witht eh set of Grandparents that lived in Carlsbad, NM for Independence Day. The Pecos River runs through Carlsbad and is dammed for a little hydroelectric generator that was in place back then so the river was more like a small lake. There were tons of festivities at the park alongside the river at the beach. The first time I saw a radio controlled airplane was there. It had to be flying with a tube type radio and big 90 volt batteries. Most R/C was flown by ham operators in the early '60s. Of course, the highlight was the fireworks over the river. There is something special to me about a body of water under the shellbursts. As an adult I lived on Clear Lake in the Houston area and the communities surrounding the lake funded a huge display which had sound synched through local radio station. The sight of thousands of boats anchored out, grilling and partying, the fighter jets making low passes at hair-on-fire speeds and the huge fireworks display over water were memorable. I think that was the only day of the year some boats left their slips. It was easy to tell by watching them try to anchor.

My boolit casting/ reloading/ gunsmithing mentor left this world on July 4 a few years ago. He wa such a patriot that it was fitting for him to go to his reward on this day. I miss him terribly but am fortunate to be surrounded by the things he taught me to use. Before he died I bought his lathe, mill, drill press and all of his reloading and casting gear. I will work for a while today setting some of that gear in my new workshop. After that I will enjoy some fine American spirits and watch the city fireworks from my back yard.

God Bless America and help us hold onto our Republic!

Happy Independence Day to all,
    David
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    Sparklers make dandy bombs. Bundle them up, with one reversed for a fuse. Tape them tight with electrical or duct tape. Light the "fuse", and get away! My neighbor kids set them off this time of year. They are a half mile away, and it still rattles my windows.

Awesome. I thought sparklers were boring. I've got a 5 year old and a 3 year old and bought them a pack of sparklers yesterday. Dad will have to save a box of them for himself this year. The things you learn here...
    I was a dog on a short chain.
    Now there's no chain.
    Jim Harrison

Boolit Master

Vietnam, 1972, Company cook out with COLD beer, burgers and hot dogs. Later at dark, some .50 cal tracer rounds were "modified" into "fireworks". Many good times since but never the same feeling.
    10-x

NRA Endowment
    H.R.M.S.
    N.F.A.C.
    RVN Veteran
    VFW
    "The short memories of the American voters is what keeps our politicians in office"------Will Rogers

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by historicfirearms View Post
    Awesome. I thought sparklers were boring. I've got a 5 year old and a 3 year old and bought them a pack of sparklers yesterday. Dad will have to save a box of them for himself this year. The things you learn here...
    A dozen of them taped tight will clean out a culvert. You can also extend one 3" or so for a fuse.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

My coolest experience was about 4 years ago sitting on the end of the flight deck of the USS Midway in San Diego Harbor. There were no less than about 6 really good fireworks shows at once.
    At one with the gun.

Boolit Buddy

Of course the fireworks! Store-bought or homemade, it was all good! Don't know how many of you ever tried to make homemade firecrackers, using a roll of caps, like for the toy guns we used to be able to play with, a little masking tape and string soaked in candle wax for a fuse. You really couldn't produce a lot of them in a short time frame, but they were LOUD! More noise than some store-bought.

My favorite memory though, is that the 4th was generally the first occasion of the summer, to make homemade ice cream! Using of course an ol' hand-cranked bucket, alot of ice and even more, seemed like anyway, rock salt. And many tired, sore arms! No matter the flavor, ours was usually vanilla, strawberry or banana, store-bought just never tasted quite so good!

Boolit Master

When I was really little, dad always volunteered to work the OT shift for the Fire Dept., being on the crew of the truck at the fireworks. So, I got to watch them from on top of the fire truck -- not much better for a 5-6 year old. (Every year he also was given all the seized, illegal fireworks by the police, "for disposal," which we usually did when we got home that night. )

When I was 18, my shooting/handloading mentor (who happened to be an FFL, lived on a few acres in the country, and was the father of my best friend) introduced me to an acquaintence in May. I learned he was a chemistry professor (Ph.D.) at the local university, and his latest professional interest was making professional-grade, home-made fireworks. Cardboard mortar tubes, #8 shot, a chemical mixture thought to be too risky to be trusted to me in my youth :/ , and wrapping some shells, and we were in business. Actually got a permit from the county and FAA and that was a spectacularly fun July 4th!!

The best ones, though, have been watching my daughter enjoy the fireworks over the last few years. This year, now that she's the right age, we got to talk all day about why we celebrate the 4th. What the Declaration of Independence says, why it was and is significant for the whole world, and why we must be careful and guard its principles.
    Group Buy Honcho for: 9x135 Slippery, 45x200 Target (H&G68), 45x230 Gov't Profile, 44x265 Keith

E-mail or PM me if you have one of the following commemorative Glocks you'd like to sell: FBI 100yr, Bell Helo, FOP Lodge1, Kiowa Warrior, SCI, and any new/unknown-to-me commemoratives.

Boolit Master
    As a young'un, I remember my dad always took the time to take us to the fireworks. It was one of those special family things. Funny, my kids didn't like them until they were teenagers.
    Paul

Love Life
    I think watermelon.

On the 4th of July my grandfather would buy a huge watermelon. He would cut it up on news papers and we would eat it on news papers on this large granite slab table he had in the back yard. After we ate the watermelon we would walk to the town square and watch the fireworks.

Old time 4th

Thomas Jefferson said that the 4th of July was a day for ringing bells and shooting of guns. When I lived in SW Pa. I took him at his word. Early on the 4th I would load up a lot of guns and ammo and take all the neighborhood kids (That had parents OK) in my old pickup truck and went to the gun club (CrowFoot R&GC). Since no-one else was there, I would take each kid out on the line, go through the operation of the gun they had selected, and let them fire 5 rounds. This went on until everyone had tried what they wanted to fire. Then, Everybody would select the one gun they liked and we would all move to the line together. At my command they would all open fire with as many rounds as their gun held. Then they all would have to show me their gun was safe, before they could retire from the line and pack-up their gun. Back home the wife would have a picnic lunch ready for us. I got to unload and clean all the guns, after lunch. The whole town would go to the High School football field for the town's fireworks display. Try that today and I would be in Jail for child abuse or some other charge.
    TwoTrees

"Hold my beer and watch this!!"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12